Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just bought a 2.5 Suby motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
I just picked this up off craigslist.

Used 2.5 motor - Just had new reconditioned heads less than 5k miles ago ($2,800), but the lower end turned out to have a problem, a rod knock, so I put a whole new motor in the vehicle.

The vehicle was in running condition when the motor was taken out - just had rod knock/noise.

Comes with the intake & FI stuff. Is missing one tensioner & belt. Since it will need torn down anyway no big whoop. The heads are in great shape just being rebuilt not long ago. Not bad for $250 huh?

It's going to replace my rotary I think. Or if I sell that it will go in another car biggrin.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 1 2011, 01:08 PM) *

Used 2.5 motor - Just had new reconditioned heads less than 5k miles ago ($2,800), but the lower end turned out to have a problem, a rod knock, so I put a whole new motor in the vehicle.

The vehicle was in running condition when the motor was taken out - just had rod knock/noise.

Comes with the intake & FI stuff. Is missing one tensioner & belt. Since it will need torn down anyway no big whoop. The heads are in great shape just being rebuilt not long ago. Not bad for $250 huh?

It's going to replace my rotary I think. Or if I sell that it will go in another car biggrin.gif

shoot a photo of the rotary ,mount rad, etc.... if you can
JRust
QUOTE(oldschool @ Feb 1 2011, 01:12 PM) *

shoot a photo of the rotary ,mount rad, etc.... if you can

Will do. The whole setup (less radiator) will be up in the classifieds soon. Well hopefully. I have a damn hernia surgery next monday. So unless I get time this weekend (very doubtful). Not sure how soon I'll be up to it after. Probably be good to get done this weekend now that I think of it idea.gif . I'll have to squeze it in
Mike Bellis
Rotary parts??? drooley.gif
realred914
wich I had known of this before I rebuilt me vanagon wasserboxer. nice power these subies have
sawtooth
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 1 2011, 02:08 PM) *

Nice, that looks like a later SOHC version which is supposed to have the better flowing heads. I love mine, just drove it for the first time last night.
JRust
QUOTE(sawtooth @ Feb 1 2011, 02:17 PM) *

Nice, that looks like a later SOHC version which is supposed to have the better flowing heads. I love mine, just drove it for the first time last night.

It is out of a 2005 outback. Pretty low miles at like 70k to have problems. Is yours in a 914 or just a subaru? Now I have to find your thread blink.gif

Found your thread. I think you may be my new best friend beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
My buddy just rebuilt his, Parts are reasonalbe, He had about 900 in parts, Also had to buy the rings from subaru. The other parts I got from worldpac for him.
The crank in his was in great shape at 130k.

speed metal army
What happened with the rotary?Did you get it going?Sorry if I missed a thread...
JRust
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Feb 1 2011, 08:48 PM) *

What happened with the rotary?Did you get it going?Sorry if I missed a thread...

No go with my rotary. Definately has a bad apex seal at the least. Fixable but 2k for a rebuild I'm not interested in. I've kept my eyes open for a running 4port 13b. No luck there & if I am going to spend a couple grand. I would rather do it on a suby build.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.