Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Electrical question, Ground
Black22
post Feb 1 2011, 08:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,290
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have a question regarding wiring my oil temp gauge. My combo gauge has three connectors (+, Ground and G). I found the key-switched power and temp sender wire near the shifter. Those wires tested fine and I extended those wires to the gauge cluster. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

My question is about the ground wire connection. Should I run a separate ground wire to the common ground location near the fuse box or would it be ok to piggyback the ground on the fuel gauge? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I know piggybacking it would ground the gauge but would it affect how either of the gauges read? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Thanks
Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Feb 1 2011, 08:39 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

Piggy Back is fine.. No worries.. I do it. Basically whatever is the cleanest wiring that works. If you get piggy back srazy like maybe then it is cleaner to run a ground and touch them all.. It will not affect your gauge as long as the ground is good.. Gauges and gauge lighting takes such little power you can piggy back that too..
+Quote Post
Black22
post Feb 1 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,290
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 1 2011, 06:39 PM) *

Piggy Back is fine.. No worries.. I do it. Basically whatever is the cleanest wiring that works. If you get piggy back srazy like maybe then it is cleaner to run a ground and touch them all.. It will not affect your gauge as long as the ground is good.. Gauges and gauge lighting takes such little power you can piggy back that too..

Thanks for the reply Detox...and thanks for your help the other day on the sender issue. I picked up a sender, p/n 323-092D, from North Hollywood Speedometer for 20 bucks. They were 25-35 bucks online and everywhere else. I haven't installed it yet (waiting for next oil change), but I got all the wiring done! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 03:03 AM