Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Venting Clearance Problem
pheasant1894
post Feb 6 2011, 11:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,670
Region Association: None

So everything was going smoothly during my 914 1.7L brake job until I was setting the venting clearance on the left inner pad. I cannot seem to get the inner 4mm hex screw to bite the venting gear. Any suggestions?

As background, I previously removed the caliper and backed both venting clearance screws all of the way out so I caould install new pads. I also used a c-clamp to push the pistons in a little more because I has dome issues installing the new pads. Now I think that I pushed the piston in too far and the venting clearance screw is not engaging the gear. There is resistance so it does not seem to be stripped but it is clearly not moving the piston.

I tried tapping the e-brake lever in a bit as suggested in a previous post. But no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks--
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 3)
detoxcowboy
post Feb 6 2011, 11:12 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

pm eric shea on this site... pmb performance, I had an issue exactly simular that he resolved.. I do not want to tell you what we did because I am uncertain as to why we did it.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 6 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #3

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The adjuster has tightened on to internal mechanism. The internal mechanism is spinning inside the piston instead of riding up and down on the adjuster.

If you have air the best thing to do is spin clockwise at a high rate with a butterfly wrench (or equivalent). The velocity will be enough to move the adjuster and get your piston moving.

SHORT BURSTS only.
+Quote Post
dem
post Feb 6 2011, 02:11 PM
Post #4

Rusty Member

Member No.: 11,334
Region Association: Northern California

I also found it helps to push against the piston when turning the adjuster, assuming you haven't run it all the way out.

I can now R&R rear calipers blindfolded due to various stupidities related to my rear calipers (Thanks Eric for straightening me up!)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 12:04 AM