Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Venting Clearance Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pheasant1894
So everything was going smoothly during my 914 1.7L brake job until I was setting the venting clearance on the left inner pad. I cannot seem to get the inner 4mm hex screw to bite the venting gear. Any suggestions?

As background, I previously removed the caliper and backed both venting clearance screws all of the way out so I caould install new pads. I also used a c-clamp to push the pistons in a little more because I has dome issues installing the new pads. Now I think that I pushed the piston in too far and the venting clearance screw is not engaging the gear. There is resistance so it does not seem to be stripped but it is clearly not moving the piston.

I tried tapping the e-brake lever in a bit as suggested in a previous post. But no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks--
detoxcowboy
pm eric shea on this site... pmb performance, I had an issue exactly simular that he resolved.. I do not want to tell you what we did because I am uncertain as to why we did it.. biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
The adjuster has tightened on to internal mechanism. The internal mechanism is spinning inside the piston instead of riding up and down on the adjuster.

If you have air the best thing to do is spin clockwise at a high rate with a butterfly wrench (or equivalent). The velocity will be enough to move the adjuster and get your piston moving.

SHORT BURSTS only.
dem
I also found it helps to push against the piston when turning the adjuster, assuming you haven't run it all the way out.

I can now R&R rear calipers blindfolded due to various stupidities related to my rear calipers (Thanks Eric for straightening me up!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.