Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help me tune-up my 1973 2.0, Single Weber w/009 Distributor and Pertronix
NJ914Guy
post Feb 6 2011, 10:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,546
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Car is a 1973 2.0 with a single Weber carb and the James Bond 009 distributor. I know, dual carbs coming soon (not going back to factory FI) and not my favorite distributor. She also has Pertronix electronic ignition.

I am heading to the shop soon to adjust the timing and valves but have plugs (NGK BP6ES/7333), Beru wires and 009 cap/rotor on hand and ready to install.

What is the gap for the plugs?

What are the settings for timing with a single carb setup?

Would you install the plugs now before timing and valves are adjusted? I don't want to foul a brand new set on the drive to the shop. How about pre-installing the other parts before the trip to the mechanic?

Thanks guys!

-Chuck
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914itis
post Feb 6 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(NJ914Guy @ Feb 6 2011, 11:22 PM) *

Car is a 1973 2.0 with a single Weber carb and the James Bond 009 distributor. I know, dual carbs coming soon (not going back to factory FI) and not my favorite distributor. She also has Pertronix electronic ignition.

I am heading to the shop soon to adjust the timing and valves but have plugs (NGK BP6ES/7333), Beru wires and 009 cap/rotor on hand and ready to install.

Would you install the plugs now before timing and valves are adjusted? I don't want to foul a brand new set on the drive to the shop. How about pre-installing the other parts before the trip to the mechanic?

Thanks guys!

-Chuck

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...iming_carbs.htm
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Feb 6 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #3

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

QUOTE(NJ914Guy @ Feb 6 2011, 10:22 PM) *

Thanks guys!

-Chuck

Want to buy a really nice set of dual Webers, Italian ones. 40's. Freshly gone through and were only used very little before being removed. No time on them since going through?
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 7 2011, 09:41 AM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Set the timing at 27 degrees before TDC at 3500 rpms and you'll be good.
Adjust the valves first since they need to be cold to set them.
Install the plugs and then start it up.

Look around for a good used stock djet dizzy as they work way better than a 009 with its limited advance curve.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:24 PM