Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Horn Bracket Nuances, Can I still get a '3 layered' horn bracket somewhere?
nathansnathan
post Feb 9 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,782
Region Association: None

My horn brackets are pretty crusty. They are built like... feeler gauges?
Like there is a stamped ring holding 3 separate bracket pieces together, presumably to prevent breakage caused by flexing.

It's hard to find a pic of the back of the original horn to show the ring. Here's a link
original horn on ebay

If you 'enlarge' then click on the pic of the back you see the ring. Hard to tell from any picture, but the bracket is actually 3 separate layers of steel.

and the new version, no ring, seems like a single piece bracket (no ring):
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.autohausaz.com-11782-1297277716.1.jpg)

I'm pretty sure it'll be hard to come up with used brackets in decent shape. I've seen only the entire horn being sold new, but I'd rather use my original 40 year old horns, as they are probably built better. I'm going to have some stuff plated but the pieces don't really come apart, so it seems to be not an option. Should I just bite the bullet and buy new horns?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 10 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #2

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 9 2011, 01:55 PM) *

My horn brackets are pretty crusty. They are built like... feeler gauges?
Like there is a stamped ring holding 3 separate bracket pieces together, presumably to prevent breakage caused by flexing.

It's hard to find a pic of the back of the original horn to show the ring. Here's a link
original horn on ebay

If you 'enlarge' then click on the pic of the back you see the ring. Hard to tell from any picture, but the bracket is actually 3 separate layers of steel.

and the new version, no ring, seems like a single piece bracket (no ring):
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.autohausaz.com-11782-1297277716.1.jpg)

I'm pretty sure it'll be hard to come up with used brackets in decent shape. I've seen only the entire horn being sold new, but I'd rather use my original 40 year old horns, as they are probably built better. I'm going to have some stuff plated but the pieces don't really come apart, so it seems to be not an option. Should I just bite the bullet and buy new horns?

You can do that. Or, you just watch & wait. Almost everything/anything comes up as available sooner or later. Though I still have not found the perfect early rain tray I did find a perfect 4 cylinder snowplow. Took almost 20 years, so it is just a matter of time & patience. I'll get that rain tray - just keep watching.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Feb 15 2011, 11:03 PM
Post #3

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Ive got them?
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 17 2011, 05:31 PM
Post #4

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 16 2011, 12:03 AM) *

Ive got them?

Rich,

What condition?
Pat
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 10:29 PM