Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Believe MPS is bad- now what?, Buy Rebuilt-Used
sfrenck
post Feb 15 2011, 06:24 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,411
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Don't know what to tell you there - I (and a friend of mine) both got our MPSs from PH for $165 +core last summer (person I spoke to there was named Jeff).

Also, Automotion's website lists the MPS @ $197 + core.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I would have listed my pricing earlier - but I don't know if it's proper on this site (Sorry Admins if this is the case).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 15 2011, 06:30 AM
Post #22

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Last I heard PH MPS rebuilds are all set to 1.7 calibrations, is this still true?
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Feb 15 2011, 06:45 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 11,411

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 15 2011, 07:30 AM) *

Last I heard PH MPS rebuilds are all set to 1.7 calibrations, is this still true?

I was not told that... also, my PH MPS (and my friend's) was actually from Fuel Injection Corp (unless they put their MPS in an FIC box). I have no way to test the MPS, so I'll go happily along believing that mine is correctly calibrated - only based on the fact that they wanted more $$ for the '73 2.0 MPS than a '74 2.0 MPS.

I contacted FIC via this board once (member FIC72)- I believe he offers a 914world "discount".
+Quote Post
brenz
post Feb 15 2011, 11:27 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 11,451

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Feb 15 2011, 07:24 AM) *

Don't know what to tell you there - I (and a friend of mine) both got our MPSs from PH for $165 +core last summer (person I spoke to there was named Jeff).

Also, Automotion's website lists the MPS @ $197 + core.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I would have listed my pricing earlier - but I don't know if it's proper on this site (Sorry Admins if this is the case).

For what it's worth I'm the friend Scott speaks of. I do remember seeing the MPS listed on Parts Heaven website as $530. I think that might have been for a new one. I called and also talked to Jeff and he quoted me $165 for a rebuilt '74 2.0. He only had one at the time. He said the rebuilder goes by manufacturer specs, but I don't know either what that means. My car is not 100% up and running so can't comment on the calibration. It's worth a call anyway.

Bryan
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Feb 15 2011, 12:22 PM
Post #25

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Not sure what FIC does, in that they bought Brett Instruments who did all the MPS rebuilding at one time in the past.

Brett had diaphrams made of stamped steel. The flex characteristics were not the same a stock, but did work. At that time they had an NOS MPS (can't remember if it was a 1.7 or 2.0) and they were calibrated to it

The second method of "rebuild" is to scarf a good diaphram from another unit that is good (no matter the number as long as the diaphram is configured the same).

It's a crap shoot ......

Oh, the last time I heard, a new MPS (if still available) was $1600+
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 15 2011, 01:10 PM
Post #26

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

yes, I have seen a bunch of stamped steel diaphrams and don't like the throttle response they have. Brett did use a copper diaphram for many years but it had less pleats than the OEM ones.
The best rebuild units is using a OEM diaphram in a good body and recalibrate it to the engine you have. Smoothest running by far!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 15 2011, 01:11 PM
Post #27

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

If someone doesn't solve the diaphragm problem for the stock 1.7 - 2.0 MPS soon the only thing you will be able to do when you believe your MPS is bad is to find others who also believe your MPS is bad and start a church. At least then, you can write off your expenses...
+Quote Post
tod914
post Feb 15 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

There was a topic sometime ago, that Bosch has a rebuild service for them. Not sure what their limitations are in regarding what's rebuildable and what is not.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Feb 16 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 15 2011, 11:11 AM) *

If someone doesn't solve the diaphragm problem for the stock 1.7 - 2.0 MPS soon the only thing you will be able to do when you believe your MPS is bad is to find others who also believe your MPS is bad and start a church. At least then, you can write off your expenses...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ok...update. Looks like Parts Heaven and find a local calibration expert once the part lands back to me if I have response problems.

Going to yank the injectors this weekend replace fuel line elbows and go through the top end while I wait for the MPS next week.

Wish me luck.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 07:51 AM