Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> X-Country Burn 2011 - Breakdown List?, Driving my '72 from Boston to San Francisco
gfulcher
post Feb 16 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #1

Diagnosis: Automobilitus. Prognosis: Terminal

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,501
Region Association: Northern California

Hey gang - it's been a while since I've posted or otherwise been involved with the 914 scene, mostly because after moving from Boston to San Francisco in 2007, I've only driven my '72 914 a total of three weeks when visiting New England in the summer months. I originally posted this over at 914club.com, not realizing this was the new place to be! Yup - it's been a while.

This coming summer, I'll be firing it up and heading to San Francisco on yet another "Blue Highways Tour" in a vintage aircooled car. In '99, I drove around the USA in my '73 Thing for nearly a full year, and we drove another '73 Thing X-Country in 2007 when we moved to San Fran - all trips have been mechanically uneventful, thankfully - as I'm a freak about maintenance and torque specs and the likes.

Each time I've done this, people have reacted strongly, often with "Your f'in crazy, man - don't do it..." Save your breath because there is NOTHING you can do to stop me! Haha... The car is ready to roll - I would check the tire pressure, change the oil and hit the road tomorrow. If something happens along the way, so be it - it's all part of the adventure of seeing America right.

Where was I going with this... Oh, right:

With the VW Thing community, we had a "Breakdown List" - a packet of names & addresses & phone numbers of those who are willing to open their garage, parts bins, and possibly a guest room to a fellow Thing owner in need of help, and was thinking it'd be cool to have a similar such document for the 914.

Our route will be circuitous, and mostly up north (Via Chicago, Fargo, Yellowstone and the Sagebrush Sea and the High Sierras, to the Pacific Coast Highway in Oregon before diving south) - we hope to cover approx 4500 miles in about 8 days - and go where the same paper map I used in '99 takes us.

Anyone interested in helping me compile a list?

Thanks much, and keep the rubber side down...

-greg fulcher-

Attached Image
'72 2.0 blueprinted / balanced / DRLA40's / hydraulic lifters

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 07:50 PM