Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: X-Country Burn 2011 - Breakdown List?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gfulcher
Hey gang - it's been a while since I've posted or otherwise been involved with the 914 scene, mostly because after moving from Boston to San Francisco in 2007, I've only driven my '72 914 a total of three weeks when visiting New England in the summer months. I originally posted this over at 914club.com, not realizing this was the new place to be! Yup - it's been a while.

This coming summer, I'll be firing it up and heading to San Francisco on yet another "Blue Highways Tour" in a vintage aircooled car. In '99, I drove around the USA in my '73 Thing for nearly a full year, and we drove another '73 Thing X-Country in 2007 when we moved to San Fran - all trips have been mechanically uneventful, thankfully - as I'm a freak about maintenance and torque specs and the likes.

Each time I've done this, people have reacted strongly, often with "Your f'in crazy, man - don't do it..." Save your breath because there is NOTHING you can do to stop me! Haha... The car is ready to roll - I would check the tire pressure, change the oil and hit the road tomorrow. If something happens along the way, so be it - it's all part of the adventure of seeing America right.

Where was I going with this... Oh, right:

With the VW Thing community, we had a "Breakdown List" - a packet of names & addresses & phone numbers of those who are willing to open their garage, parts bins, and possibly a guest room to a fellow Thing owner in need of help, and was thinking it'd be cool to have a similar such document for the 914.

Our route will be circuitous, and mostly up north (Via Chicago, Fargo, Yellowstone and the Sagebrush Sea and the High Sierras, to the Pacific Coast Highway in Oregon before diving south) - we hope to cover approx 4500 miles in about 8 days - and go where the same paper map I used in '99 takes us.

Anyone interested in helping me compile a list?

Thanks much, and keep the rubber side down...

-greg fulcher-

Click to view attachment
'72 2.0 blueprinted / balanced / DRLA40's / hydraulic lifters

Mike Bellis
If you make it to the Oregon coast, Stop by Florence. It's a nice little coastal town (West of Eugene). Just north are some cool Sea Lion caves. Just south is Dunes National monument. The dunes are huge and go for miles along the coast.

Traveling south, you should stop in Mystic Pines (Hwy 101)and see the Giant Red Woods. From there cut over to the coast and take Hwy 1 all the way to San Rafael.
IronHillRestorations
I'm on the southern route, I40.
type47
DC area 'teeners would support your trip. It would be interesting if local teeners could caravan with you when you're in their area.. What's the route?
Eric_Shea
The list is a good idea.

You're my hero. I want to do this with my family with the 911 and the 914.

I'm in Salt Lake City.
gms
QUOTE(gfulcher @ Feb 16 2011, 08:38 PM) *

Our route will be circuitous, and mostly up north (Via Chicago, Fargo, Yellowstone and the Sagebrush Sea and the High Sierras, to the Pacific Coast Highway in Oregon before diving south) - we hope to cover approx 4500 miles in about 8 days - and go where the same paper map I used in '99 takes us.

I can help in Chicago, got parts
Eric_Shea
(got the wife to agree that it would be fun to take the cars across country) biggrin.gif
underthetire
Plenty of us in discovery bay for help and even parts. Only good if you go 5 then hwy 4 to Livermore I'm afraid.
underthetire
And it would be nice if the members map worked again rolleyes.gif
RJMII
I'm 100 and some miles from the East Entrance to YNP. If you go over the Big Horn Mountains from Buffalo to Worland to get to YNP, I'm in Worland.
r_towle
I can wave goodbye and drop the starting flag.

smile.gif

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.