Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whats my car worth?, I cant keep it and the -6
Tom_T
post Mar 21 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #41

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 20 2011, 09:29 PM) *

I will measure in the morning and see what I have to work with, Thanks

Call me today Andy & I can shoot over this evening or tomorrow & look at what you've got structurally to work with or around. Otherwise it will be late next week when I get back, as I'm traveling back east early Wed am & return late next Tues.

Hopefully your HOA will let you do some minor stuff on the unit's garage.

Email me if you've lost my cell #.

PS - I'm around this afternoon & tomorrow afternoon too, if you get off work early.

Tom
///////
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 21 2011, 02:50 PM
Post #42

TMI....

QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 20 2011, 11:05 PM) *

I just figured 4.5' for a stock height 914, 4" for the lift rails and another 6" of headroom (3" per car) came up to 118" (+/- 10'), so you're actually not too far off, Tom.

I've seen folks box a small area of the ceiling joists to create a raised ceiling if they needed additional headroom for the roof of a car. That should yield 6" or more inches of additional clearance depending on the height of joists (8~12" depending on the span and when the structure was built).

I haven't seen Andy's garage, yet ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Mark, it sounds like you're in the building/design biz too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Another variable is the height of the lift's posts, since they can be taller for units with more than a 4.5' lift, since IIRC some will lift to 6-7' clear under the lift rails, then there's the lift mechanism's override height. So it will be a process of checking various lift mfgr's. specs. for dimensions all around.

I've only seen Andy's place from the street, since he lives about a mile away & in the next complex to one of my son's High School buddies (we're both in Orange). So I can't speak to it's roof structure, but it's a 1970-80's era structure & may have prefab'ed trusses up there, which can actually be restructured at a cost/effort to open up to the rafters. We'll see!

Unfortunately I'm not so lucky with my detached 1921 garage which is only 18' w. x 17.5' d. & about 7.5' h. clr. to the horizontal tie joists below the rafters. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
However, I'll need to do some major restructuring to get 3 cars into the garage & resolve roof drainage problems from it's 1920's hacked-up construction methods, since it's attached to a former farm shop building in the rear (my home office now) with an odd high/low/gable/shed/cricket roof setup that I need to rework to extend the main gable back over it, which will require me to raise the roof & insert a 3-4' h. wall section & may carry it back as a truss section over the shop in back to carry the roof & provide lateral resistance (see short side wall @ garage door below). So I may as well set it at what ht. I need.

In the pic below the door is actually only 15' w. (not normal 16') with about 12" of wall/post at each side, and about 7' clr. ht. to the header/beam above, with the rafters inside about 6" above that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Attached Image
... so I need to do some more construction .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Mar 21 2011, 03:25 PM
Post #43

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

My ceiling is just under 11 (10'8 IIRC) and I can stack the Mini and the 911 barely, 914's being easier.

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 21 2011, 03:46 PM
Post #44

TMI....

QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 21 2011, 02:25 PM) *

My ceiling is just under 11 (10'8 IIRC) and I can stack the Mini and the 911 barely, 914's being easier.

Sounds about right for parking them Ferg, as Jeff's garage had some "extra clearance" at 11' (but my 325 E30 is a bit taller than your Mini IIRC), and ultimately other vehicles would benefit from as much height as he can generate in there as a 2-car "stacked garage set-up" - either with it's current clear height, or by "adjusting" some of the ceiling or joist height.

I think Andy also needs head height to work on the -6 shell underneath, probably on a rotisserie at some point. I think his wife has a Jetta which may end up parked inside at some point - & who knows what cars will come along later!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

In a case such as Andy's with a 1 car garage townhouse unit, the ability to park 2 cars stacked in the garage will add value to the unit, assuming the lift were sold with it ultimately.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 21 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #45

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

somehow I've missed the specifics for this 914.

What's have?
P
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 21 2011, 04:08 PM
Post #46

TMI....

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 21 2011, 03:00 PM) *

somehow I've missed the specifics for this 914.

What's have?
P

It's the COTM from Oct/Nov 2010 or `09 IIRC Pat - a 72 full resto from shell, 2056 dual carbs, very nice looking, solid & fast runner - even if not OE/CW.

I bought Andy's Al Reid resto'd 4 lug Fuchs 2Ls for my resto, when he did a 5-lug conversion with Fuchs.

Attached Image

IMHO - he should just keep it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
john grier
post Mar 21 2011, 07:22 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 2,265
Region Association: South East States

What am I missing here,
You have a cotm 914 that is a keeper.
You also have a 914-6 that is a keeper, but not a cotm.
This is a no brainer.
You have to keep them both!!!
Like everyone else does, storage space can be obtained when needed.
Do it and keep both.
in my humble opinion, John
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Mar 21 2011, 07:51 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

I need to see a nice video of this car in order to give a more accurate opinion of its worth ...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 21 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #49

TMI....

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 21 2011, 06:51 PM) *

I need to see a nice video of this car in order to give a more accurate opinion of its worth ...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Check the Garage forums from a few months back. He posted some of a run out Santiago Canyon & Live Oak Canyon Roads to O'Neill Park & back last Fall `10 IIRC, with his new "toy" ProCam IIRC. Coming back with the camera pointed rearwards will get you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 21 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #50

TMI....

QUOTE(john grier @ Mar 21 2011, 06:22 PM) *

What am I missing here,
You have a cotm 914 that is a keeper.
You also have a 914-6 that is a keeper, but not a cotm.

More correctly - "yet to be a COTM" on the -6, from what I've seen of Andy's handiwork! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 21 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #51

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

I returned your PM Tom ... let me know what you guys think (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Mar 22 2011, 09:43 AM
Post #52

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742

This is not a $$ issue but space. Of course the wife may have somthing to say about it but Im always in trouble anyways so whats a little more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have 8' 6" to the joists, 7' to the rails for my rollup garage door
10' wide

I will give you a call Tom

Thanks
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 22 2011, 10:09 AM
Post #53

TMI....

Yeah - I know all about that first part all too well Andy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

PS - tell her it will ultimately add to the property value to park 2 cars in there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The rool-up rails can be relocated up higher FYI. 10' w. should work with most lifts. We'll need to "find" another 2-3' +/- in height (need to clear the roll-up door + 2 cars).

Check your clear length inside too - then you can Google for lifts & look at what's out there & start a list with specs for L. x W. x H., power or air source requirements, weight capacity, price, S&H, assembly, etc.

We'll need to look & see what's overhead in the ceiling above the garage, and whether/what you've got above the garage (attic &/or roof only would be best).

I might be able to come over late afternoon or early evening today - otherwise I'll need to pack later for an early am flight, & we'll have to do it next Wed. or after.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Mar 22 2011, 10:29 AM
Post #54

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'll play devil's advocate...

If I had your car, but then built up an original six to the same standards as your -4, I'd probably sell the -4. I know my wife wouldn't want to drive it, I can only drive one car at a time. Plus there is the storage, the insurance, license, etc. Plus if they were sitting side-by-side in the garage, I'd take the -6.
Now if the car had another purpose, such as a dedicated track car or something like that, thats a different story.
Thats just my .02
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 22 2011, 10:45 AM
Post #55

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(AZ914 @ Mar 22 2011, 12:29 PM) *

I'll play devil's advocate...

If I had your car, but then built up an original six to the same standards as your -4, I'd probably sell the -4. I know my wife wouldn't want to drive it, I can only drive one car at a time. Plus there is the storage, the insurance, license, etc. Plus if they were sitting side-by-side in the garage, I'd take the -6.
Now if the car had another purpose, such as a dedicated track car or something like that, thats a different story.
Thats just my .02

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Waiting 5 years for the economy to turn around while you pay storage, insurance, registration, maintainance, car lifts, possible damage, new tires, rubber seals, engine and trans seals, rust, ect. in order to hopefully make more money down the road may not be the best use of someones finances. There are better ways to make money than hoping a car will appreciate in value, let alone a 914.

(This is just me just thinking out loud, I personally think Andy's car is amazing! and he should do whatever he thinks is best for himself)

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Mar 22 2011, 10:45 AM
Post #56

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742

Your right on the money in terms of where I'm at. Love the car and would be nice to keep it but when the -6 is done that's the one I will jump into. The -4 would not get drivin much and thats a crime!!

The Wife still wont drive it and wants a 73 VW thing anyways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) this wont be an easy decision
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 22 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #57

TMI....

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 22 2011, 09:45 AM) *

Your right on the money in terms of where I'm at. Love the car and would be nice to keep it but when the -6 is done that's the one I will jump into. The -4 would not get drivin much and thats a crime!!

The Wife still wont drive it and wants a 73 VW thing anyways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) this wont be an easy decision

She may change her mind (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) , and the -4 will be better to use as a DD & risk ding-damage/accidents than a restored factory -6, plus you'll probably want to drive the -4 in order to keep the -6 fresh until you win at Pebble Beach! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Things are cool too, but ...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 09:42 AM