Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Converting to Carbs, What is a good setup for F Pump and Pressure
jmill
post Mar 25 2011, 05:21 PM
Post #21

Green Hornet

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 25 2011, 06:47 AM) *

would 30 gph be ok for my V8 ??

Be careful when you look at pumps. It may deliver 30 GPH but that's not at 3 psi. At 3 psi I bet it puts out only 15 GPH like the facet.

Remember that fuel = hp. The facet says it's good to about 150 hp (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) . If your V8 is making only 150 hp why bother with the conversion at all. The Holley HP 125 flows 110 GPH at 7 psi. Its good for about 700 hp.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
markb
post Mar 25 2011, 09:44 PM
Post #22

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

I had a facet on my carbed motor. Hated it. Noisy, didn't perform well. Put in a Pierburg (I've been told that it's the same as a CB Performance) & had no problems. Please don't try & use a stock pump, I'm very sure it will end badly.
+Quote Post
NJ914Guy
post Mar 25 2011, 09:45 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 12,546
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Had her out today again for about a 40min run. The Facet pump and Holley fuel regulator are both working like a charm. With the new Weber dual 40 IDF carbs, the car idles great around 850-900 RPM, pulls strong to redline, and also is smooth with no stumbles nor backfires. Did a lot of back roads today and also a 15 min highway run at up to 75mph. I am a happy camper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Mar 26 2011, 06:33 AM
Post #24

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460

sounds good - but i know i am gonna get me a good holly pump, a good regulator, a good pressure guage, a good filter ( $200-$300) - but know i am not starving my engine - even though i don't really get on it much. jim

i can't wait to send my car in for a near total restoration. it really needs everything else too.

--

QUOTE(NJ914Guy @ Mar 25 2011, 08:45 PM) *

Had her out today again for about a 40min run. The Facet pump and Holley fuel regulator are both working like a charm. With the new Weber dual 40 IDF carbs, the car idles great around 850-900 RPM, pulls strong to redline, and also is smooth with no stumbles nor backfires. Did a lot of back roads today and also a 15 min highway run at up to 75mph. I am a happy camper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
falconfp2001
post Mar 26 2011, 02:11 PM
Post #25

Pancho Pantera

Member No.: 12,456
Region Association: Southwest Region

what kind of distributor are you running?
+Quote Post
NJ914Guy
post Mar 26 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 12,546

I am running the old Bosch 009 with points elimination (electronic ignition module) from Hot-Spark.net. While I know that folks constantly complain about this distributor and claim a bad flat-spot off idle, my car does not have this problem. Coming off the line at idle from a red light or stop sign (even up-hill) is NO problem. The GA 2.0 flat four revs quick and smooth, all the way to redline. No hesitation, misses or backfires. My shop spent a lot of time sorting out the car over the past few weeks to include valve adjustments, compression testing (150-155 across all four cylinders), full tune-up (plugs, cap, rotor, wires, dual fuel filters and timing), new fuel system/dual Weber 40 IDF carbs, and we added 40mm velocity stacks from CB Performance before tune/sync as Redline-Weber does not include stacks with their 40 kit. We also did the stainless and new rubber fuel lines, throttle cable and pedal bushings, so the throttle action is smooth and snaps right back to idle with no issues. Also cleaned up the electrical system including new positive and negative battery cables with neg-disconnect switch, all new connectors at the coil, cleaned up the relay board, new voltage regulator + a new Bosch hot-start kit for the hot summer months.

The car will be back home early next week. I will take and post some videos of the car at idle, coming off the line and on the road to share.

Good luck with your project, I know that I made the right choices for my setup!
+Quote Post
Steve73
post Aug 7 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #27

Photographer/Shade Tree Mechanic

Member No.: 13,269
Region Association: South East States

What about this for a fuel Pump?

http://www.tennesseespeedsport.com/MR-Gask...-Fuel-Pump.html

Looks about right, 3.5 psi, no vapor locking it claims.

I remember the 80's hanging out with my friend on the side of the road in his Fiat X-19 mid engined car waiting for the fuel pump to cool down so we could get it started again.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 01:24 PM