Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting to Carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falconfp2001
I'm gonna setup dual carbs and would like to use the stock Fuel Pump but I'm trying to figure out how to setup the Pressure Regulators.

My idea is to keep my return line to the gas tank and just have two regulators. One before the carbs and another after.

Anyone have a good suggestion?

Thanks
jmill
If I were you I'd save a ton of cash and get a CB Performance pump which is internally regulated at 3 1/2 psi. Place it in the front below the tank with a filter before it and place a filter in the engine compartment before the carbs.

With that said, I've run a holley pump and a regulator and it worked fine. If you look at the price of the pump, regulator and gauge and compare it to the cost of the CB pump, your money ahead with the CB.

BTW - Holley makes a one in two out regulator.
dirk9141973
idea.gif Ok think this out little bit ? Sell the old working fuel pump on e-bay $ 100 +/- purchase correct fuel pump $ 75 relocate fuel pump to front under gas tank use the return fuel line a wireing path and take your wife to dinner with the $25 !!
jjackson
agree.gif Ran CB pump for years on several motor combinations.Never had a problem.Not a fan of facet pumps.J
jt914-6
As has been said....get a CB pump up front with a filter between the tank and pump...one near the carbs....Holly regulator with gauge.....here's my Holly reg./gauge....although it's on a six the same would apply for a dual carb four....

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
We have a name for people who use the stock FI pump and a regulator with carburetors. We call 'em "fire victims". It's in your best interest not to become one.

The Cap'n
moparrob
I went with the Holley 125 low pressure pump and their matching regulator. Check Summit or Jegs for best prices.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Not cheap but dependable and quiet.
Elliot Cannon
CB Performance rotary pump. "Works fine, lasts a long time". (With appologies to Pratt and Whitney). laugh.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 24 2011, 05:10 PM) *

We have a name for people who use the stock FI pump and a regulator with carburetors. We call 'em "fire victims". It's in your best interest not to become one.

The Cap'n

agree.gif Totally. Hell, I have to agree with the Cap'n. He's been working on these things for 75 years! first.gif
jmill
QUOTE(moparrob @ Mar 24 2011, 09:53 PM) *

IPB Image

Very sweet setup. I like the billet pump. I'll have to keep this in mind when I get the 6 running. At 110 GPH it's overkill for a stockish 4 cylinder.
NJ914Guy
My shop is just wrapping up my 1973 2.0. Went with dual Weber 40 IDF carbs with Redline linkage and manifolds + CB Performance 40mm velocity stacks. We are running 3psi with a Facet fuel pump up front under the gas tank mounted on rubber stops and a Holly fuel regulator in the engine compartment. Also did full stainless fuel lines with dual filters, one at the pump and a second before the carbs. Shakedown runs were today and she is running excellent. Also did the throttle pedal bushings and a new throttle cable. Good luck with your project.
jmill
Had a Facet on a dual carbed high reving 1914 cc VW motor. The Facet couldn't supply the needed fuel volume at sustained high RPM. The $64 for a CB rotary was a lot cheaper than burning up my engine. I would be surprised if you didn't have similar issues with a 2 liter.
falconfp2001
Think I like this Regulator

I also like the Holley pumps but they are pretty steep in price.
NJ914Guy
Yep, heard good and bad about the Facet and CB Rotary pumps. My Facet was making about 7-8psi, hence the regulator to neck it down to three. For what it's worth, she ran great on some back roads and also a 20min highway run at up to 85mph.

I understand that the Facets can click and sound loud and that the CBs have a tendency to make you reach for your AAA card and walk home. We had the electric fuel pressure gauge hooked up and got consistent 3psi in conjunction with the Holley regulator during our test drive. Also, once primed and flat four running, I can't hear the pump running.
jimkelly
would 30 gph be ok for my V8 ??
Root_Werks
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 25 2011, 04:47 AM) *

Jim, hopefully not your current set-up. That pump seems really high in relation to the fuel tank.

I have no idea about the 30gph thing on a 300ft lb tq + motor.
jimkelly
ok - i should have said - i have this friend who parks his V8 914 in my garage : (

maybe i need this ...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12-802-1/10002/-1

jim
McMark
I prefer to go with a higher end pump and a quality regulator. Perhaps it's false security, but I do feel better about being able to adjust my fuel pressure.
Ericv1
QUOTE(NJ914Guy @ Mar 25 2011, 07:33 AM) *

Yep, heard good and bad about the Facet and CB Rotary pumps. My Facet was making about 7-8psi, hence the regulator to neck it down to three. For what it's worth, she ran great on some back roads and also a 20min highway run at up to 85mph.

I understand that the Facets can click and sound loud and that the CBs have a tendency to make you reach for your AAA card and walk home. We had the electric fuel pressure gauge hooked up and got consistent 3psi in conjunction with the Holley regulator during our test drive. Also, once primed and flat four running, I can't hear the pump running.

That's a real world scenario. I'm sorting out my six conversion and I bought a CB pump at the beginning of last year. On Wednesday evening (this week) My fuel pump went out about 9 tenths of a mile from my house. I was on a hill otherwise I would have pushed it home. The pump was only used maybe 10-15 times in small intervals to help tune the carbs. I was hoping it was a relay. I pulled both relays out of the headlights and replaced them on the rear circuit board but it was a no go. I can't be to pissed off because it was only $60. But, now I have to pull the gas tank and replace it again.
nathansnathan
From my experience with rotary pumps, they say they are high volume low pressure, that they will give you 3 1/2 psi unregulated, but the actual is more like 5 or so, more than enough to get by a lot of inlet valves. I've got a carter rotary pump and the holley regulator, plus vdo in compartment gauge.

IPB Image

IPB Image

That's my type 4-engined bus there, as the 914 is fuel injected still.
jmill
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 25 2011, 06:47 AM) *

Be careful when you look at pumps. It may deliver 30 GPH but that's not at 3 psi. At 3 psi I bet it puts out only 15 GPH like the facet.

Remember that fuel = hp. The facet says it's good to about 150 hp bs.gif . If your V8 is making only 150 hp why bother with the conversion at all. The Holley HP 125 flows 110 GPH at 7 psi. Its good for about 700 hp.
markb
I had a facet on my carbed motor. Hated it. Noisy, didn't perform well. Put in a Pierburg (I've been told that it's the same as a CB Performance) & had no problems. Please don't try & use a stock pump, I'm very sure it will end badly.
NJ914Guy
Had her out today again for about a 40min run. The Facet pump and Holley fuel regulator are both working like a charm. With the new Weber dual 40 IDF carbs, the car idles great around 850-900 RPM, pulls strong to redline, and also is smooth with no stumbles nor backfires. Did a lot of back roads today and also a 15 min highway run at up to 75mph. I am a happy camper biggrin.gif
jimkelly
sounds good - but i know i am gonna get me a good holly pump, a good regulator, a good pressure guage, a good filter ( $200-$300) - but know i am not starving my engine - even though i don't really get on it much. jim

i can't wait to send my car in for a near total restoration. it really needs everything else too.

--

QUOTE(NJ914Guy @ Mar 25 2011, 08:45 PM) *

Had her out today again for about a 40min run. The Facet pump and Holley fuel regulator are both working like a charm. With the new Weber dual 40 IDF carbs, the car idles great around 850-900 RPM, pulls strong to redline, and also is smooth with no stumbles nor backfires. Did a lot of back roads today and also a 15 min highway run at up to 75mph. I am a happy camper biggrin.gif
falconfp2001
what kind of distributor are you running?
NJ914Guy
I am running the old Bosch 009 with points elimination (electronic ignition module) from Hot-Spark.net. While I know that folks constantly complain about this distributor and claim a bad flat-spot off idle, my car does not have this problem. Coming off the line at idle from a red light or stop sign (even up-hill) is NO problem. The GA 2.0 flat four revs quick and smooth, all the way to redline. No hesitation, misses or backfires. My shop spent a lot of time sorting out the car over the past few weeks to include valve adjustments, compression testing (150-155 across all four cylinders), full tune-up (plugs, cap, rotor, wires, dual fuel filters and timing), new fuel system/dual Weber 40 IDF carbs, and we added 40mm velocity stacks from CB Performance before tune/sync as Redline-Weber does not include stacks with their 40 kit. We also did the stainless and new rubber fuel lines, throttle cable and pedal bushings, so the throttle action is smooth and snaps right back to idle with no issues. Also cleaned up the electrical system including new positive and negative battery cables with neg-disconnect switch, all new connectors at the coil, cleaned up the relay board, new voltage regulator + a new Bosch hot-start kit for the hot summer months.

The car will be back home early next week. I will take and post some videos of the car at idle, coming off the line and on the road to share.

Good luck with your project, I know that I made the right choices for my setup!
Steve73
What about this for a fuel Pump?

http://www.tennesseespeedsport.com/MR-Gask...-Fuel-Pump.html

Looks about right, 3.5 psi, no vapor locking it claims.

I remember the 80's hanging out with my friend on the side of the road in his Fiat X-19 mid engined car waiting for the fuel pump to cool down so we could get it started again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.