Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who's got a '75 / '76 rust bucket, i.e. Sawszall candidate...
jim_hoyland
post Mar 31 2011, 03:23 PM
Post #1

Get that VIN ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

I'm getting closer to doing the bumper backdating on my '75 The bumpers have been straightened and rechromed; the dog bones and hardware are ready; bumper tops done;

My main concern is removing the corner lips that hold the rubber bumpers to the fenders. I'd like to experiment on a discarded piece before starting in on my car and screwing something up.

If you know of a possible donor, i'd like to look into feasibility of getting one of two of these sections to practice on. I have a dremel tool as bought a spot-weld drill bit.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Mar 31 2011, 05:25 PM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

One in Riverslime ...............
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Mar 31 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #3

Get that VIN ?

QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 31 2011, 04:25 PM) *

Could it be cut out at G & R ?...
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Mar 31 2011, 08:57 PM
Post #4

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 31 2011, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 31 2011, 04:25 PM) *

Only if you pay me a shit pile of money (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

We started to cut it. I think Glenn cut down the center of the rear trunk, so the edges are still there. Front has them too! Replacement fenders had the lip also.

Toast's car ('73) has one replacement front fender, as far as I remember and the bumper fits just fine. Other than that, I have no advice about backdating bumpers.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 31 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #5

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 31 2011, 01:23 PM) *

I'm getting closer to doing the bumper backdating on my '75 The bumpers have been straightened and rechromed; the dog bones and hardware are ready; bumper tops done;

My main concern is removing the corner lips that hold the rubber bumpers to the fenders. I'd like to experiment on a discarded piece before starting in on my car and screwing something up.

If you know of a possible donor, i'd like to look into feasibility of getting one of two of these sections to practice on. I have a dremel tool as bought a spot-weld drill bit.

Jim,
It isn't that difficult. Use a spot weld bit that you can buy at an autobody supply store. Use a light touch and let the bit do the cutting. That way, all you do is release the spot weld bond and not drill through. Patience is the only tool you need other than that...
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Mar 31 2011, 09:17 PM
Post #6

Get that VIN ?

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 31 2011, 08:09 PM) *

Jim,
It isn't that difficult. Use a spot weld bit that you can buy at an autobody supply store. Use a light touch and let the bit do the cutting. That way, all you do is release the spot weld bond and not drill through. Patience is the only tool you need other than that...

Thanks Rob, I have the spot weld bit now. I want to try it out first before cutting on my car...

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 31 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #7

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 31 2011, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 31 2011, 08:09 PM) *

Jim,

Thanks Rob, I have the spot weld bit now. I want to try it out first before cutting on my car...

I understand Jim. You'll be fine. Deep breath and go for it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Mar 31 2011, 09:28 PM
Post #8

Get that VIN ?

[quote name='SLITS' post='1451871' date='Mar 31 2011, 07:57 PM']
[quote name='jim_hoyland' post='1451796' date='Mar 31 2011, 04:28 PM']
[quote name='SLITS' post='1451794' date='Mar 31 2011, 04:25 PM']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Only if you pay me a shit pile of money (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

We started to cut it. I think Glenn cut down the center of the rear trunk, so the edges are still there. Front has them too! Replacement fenders had the

Sounds good, thank you.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 08:33 AM