Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who's got a '75 / '76 rust bucket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I'm getting closer to doing the bumper backdating on my '75 The bumpers have been straightened and rechromed; the dog bones and hardware are ready; bumper tops done;

My main concern is removing the corner lips that hold the rubber bumpers to the fenders. I'd like to experiment on a discarded piece before starting in on my car and screwing something up.

If you know of a possible donor, i'd like to look into feasibility of getting one of two of these sections to practice on. I have a dremel tool as bought a spot-weld drill bit.

SLITS
One in Riverslime ...............
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 31 2011, 04:25 PM) *

Could it be cut out at G & R ?...
SLITS
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 31 2011, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 31 2011, 04:25 PM) *

Only if you pay me a shit pile of money av-943.gif

We started to cut it. I think Glenn cut down the center of the rear trunk, so the edges are still there. Front has them too! Replacement fenders had the lip also.

Toast's car ('73) has one replacement front fender, as far as I remember and the bumper fits just fine. Other than that, I have no advice about backdating bumpers.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 31 2011, 01:23 PM) *

I'm getting closer to doing the bumper backdating on my '75 The bumpers have been straightened and rechromed; the dog bones and hardware are ready; bumper tops done;

My main concern is removing the corner lips that hold the rubber bumpers to the fenders. I'd like to experiment on a discarded piece before starting in on my car and screwing something up.

If you know of a possible donor, i'd like to look into feasibility of getting one of two of these sections to practice on. I have a dremel tool as bought a spot-weld drill bit.

Jim,
It isn't that difficult. Use a spot weld bit that you can buy at an autobody supply store. Use a light touch and let the bit do the cutting. That way, all you do is release the spot weld bond and not drill through. Patience is the only tool you need other than that...
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 31 2011, 08:09 PM) *

Jim,
It isn't that difficult. Use a spot weld bit that you can buy at an autobody supply store. Use a light touch and let the bit do the cutting. That way, all you do is release the spot weld bond and not drill through. Patience is the only tool you need other than that...

Thanks Rob, I have the spot weld bit now. I want to try it out first before cutting on my car...

ConeDodger
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 31 2011, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 31 2011, 08:09 PM) *

Jim,

Thanks Rob, I have the spot weld bit now. I want to try it out first before cutting on my car...

I understand Jim. You'll be fine. Deep breath and go for it... biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
[quote name='SLITS' post='1451871' date='Mar 31 2011, 07:57 PM']
[quote name='jim_hoyland' post='1451796' date='Mar 31 2011, 04:28 PM']
[quote name='SLITS' post='1451794' date='Mar 31 2011, 04:25 PM']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Only if you pay me a shit pile of money av-943.gif

We started to cut it. I think Glenn cut down the center of the rear trunk, so the edges are still there. Front has them too! Replacement fenders had the

Sounds good, thank you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.