Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

69 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just another damned project thread, 914-6 3.2 conversion in GT dress-up
ConeDodger
post Oct 18 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #161

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 18 2011, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 6 2011, 05:19 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 6 2011, 01:31 PM) *

I am confused...and I admit I did not read the whole thread.

I thought you already had a larger than stock motor???
Is this for another car?

Rich

No, I have a borrowed blueprinted but stock motor. The motor in my car belongs to Jcd914 and it is a treasure! It has extensive and meticulous balancing and port matched heads. I think it was referred to as a B Prepared Time Trial motor for the Golden Gate Region Time Trial program. I have to give it up when I put in this motor. The engine builders name is Dwight Mitchell and he is legendary in California Porsche circles.

And his motors last and last and last. I ridden a bunch in Dwight's orange 911, which a friend of mine bought and it's a rocket. Dwight got tired of kicking everyone butt in a 914, built a 911 and did the same.

Oh, glad to see that you got that motor started; better to run it rich than lean.

Now the fun part starts. It's too bad they don't make an automatic fuel map program. That would have save me a bunch of money.

Although I have to say the re-tune that Vic Sias did with my motor on a chassis dyno was done quickly and was reasonable.

Keep us informed how the tuning is going. All pretty exciting.

I knew Vic was doing some tuning. I didn't realize it was on a chassis dyno. Vic Sias is a former SCCA National Champion Solo II driver in a 240Z. I autocrossed with him during the same year he won the championship.

I think we will put it in and get it close using 'road load' to tune and then find a chassis dyno for the fine tuning. Mark has some very nice mountain roads near the shop. The Oakville grade should give us lots of mid-range stuff to work with and WOT can be had on the freeway.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Oct 18 2011, 11:23 PM
Post #162

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

what are you measuring with that Fluke meter in post #60?
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Oct 18 2011, 11:26 PM
Post #163

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

ps. I Like how she smooths out in the break-in. should be a real stump puller
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 19 2011, 07:46 AM
Post #164

Apex killer!

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Oct 18 2011, 09:23 PM) *

what are you measuring with that Fluke meter in post #60?

I think that is Mark's LM2 A:F meter. Either that or he is making sure the Tangerine Header is 12 Volt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Actually Sean, Mark is checking the temperature of the header and the temperature of the air being exhausted from the fan housing. He has some product under development and needs to know if his material choice will have a problem with temperature.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Oct 19 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #165

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 18 2011, 09:24 PM) *

Is this for another car?

Rich

No, I have a borrowed blueprinted but stock motor. The motor in my car belongs to Jcd914 and it is a treasure! It has extensive and meticulous balancing and port matched heads. I think it was referred to as a B Prepared Time Trial motor for the Golden Gate Region Time Trial program. I have to give it up when I put in this motor. The engine builders name is Dwight Mitchell and he is legendary in California Porsche circles.

And his motors last and last and last. I ridden a bunch in Dwight's orange 911, which a friend of mine bought and it's a rocket. Dwight got tired of kicking everyone butt in a 914, built a 911 and did the same.

Oh, glad to see that you got that motor started; better to run it rich than lean.

Now the fun part starts. It's too bad they don't make an automatic fuel map program. That would have save me a bunch of money.

Although I have to say the re-tune that Vic Sias did with my motor on a chassis dyno was done quickly and was reasonable.

I knew Vic was doing some tuning. I didn't realize it was on a chassis dyno. Vic Sias is a former SCCA National Champion Solo II driver in a 240Z. I autocrossed with him during the same year he won the championship.

I think we will put it in and get it close using 'road load' to tune and then find a chassis dyno for the fine tuning. Mark has some very nice mountain roads near the shop. The Oakville grade should give us lots of mid-range stuff to work with and WOT can be had on the freeway.

Did you see those nice EGT gauges, the aircraft ones. I found a thermocouple company that has the right ones for exhaust bungs. Of course the gauges are not cheap, but they are SAFE. Maybe good insurance given that your going to be tuning on the road?
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 19 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #166

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 19 2011, 08:52 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 18 2011, 09:24 PM) *

Is this for another car?

Rich

Did you see those nice EGT gauges, the aircraft ones. I found a thermocouple company that has the right ones for exhaust bungs. Of course the gauges are not cheap, but they are SAFE. Maybe good insurance given that your going to be tuning on the road?

I am using both an EGT and CHT aircraft gauge. I also have the A:F ratio gauge going in the clock hole in my Appearance Group center console. I would really like it to be the third gauge in an A pillar pod but thus far Morph hasn't taken my not-so-subtle hints. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Oct 19 2011, 02:06 PM
Post #167

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Awesome news
Your 914 was rippin fast when you let me take it for a spin around the old Napa shop several years ago, I can only imaging how the new improved TIV model will feel. Then again, all other 914s feel fast compared to my stock 1.7 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 19 2011, 03:08 PM
Post #168

Apex killer!

I see DanT lurking. This engine was built with a case I got from him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Thanks Dan
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 19 2011, 03:27 PM
Post #169

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

It would be interesting to get it on a dyno just to see what it can produce for power...plus fine tuning on a dyno is alot easier than watching a screen while you drive...haha

Rich
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Oct 20 2011, 12:08 AM
Post #170

Member No.: 12,594

Saw your motor yesterday, very impressive. Enjoyed talking to Mark, but despite his encouragement and great tips I decided to have him build my motor also ( sent you an email Mark). Have fun putting your new motor in the car, should be a blast to drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 20 2011, 07:24 AM
Post #171

Apex killer!

QUOTE(jsconst @ Oct 19 2011, 10:08 PM) *

Saw your motor yesterday, very impressive. Enjoyed talking to Mark, but despite his encouragement and great tips I decided to have him build my motor also ( sent you an email Mark). Have fun putting your new motor in the car, should be a blast to drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Jeff

Jeff,
Sometimes writing a check is the best way to get the project moving... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Oct 20 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #172

Advanced Member

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 19 2011, 02:27 PM) *

It would be interesting to get it on a dyno just to see what it can produce for power...plus fine tuning on a dyno is alot easier than watching a screen while you drive...haha

Rich

Got to be a chassis dyno within a short distance from Mark's shop.

No question it's easier to tune on a dyno and IMHO less risk. And certainly as Rich mentions trying to do it while driving will be interesting. Hey, but the sidewalks roll up in Sonoma at 5:00pm right?
+Quote Post
Randal
post Oct 20 2011, 09:27 AM
Post #173

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 19 2011, 02:08 PM) *

I see DanT lurking. This engine was built with a case I got from him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Thanks Dan

Did you see that nice 2.0 case that Mark has in his shop now?
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 21 2011, 08:35 AM
Post #174

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 20 2011, 07:27 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 19 2011, 02:08 PM) *

Did you see that nice 2.0 case that Mark has in his shop now?

No... I haven't been to Mark's for quite a while. I can't take the demeaning looks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 21 2011, 08:51 AM
Post #175

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 20 2011, 07:26 AM) *

Rich

No question it's easier to tune on a dyno and IMHO less risk. And certainly as Rich mentions trying to do it while driving will be interesting. Hey, but the sidewalks roll up in Sonoma at 5:00pm right?

I am of a mixed mind on this... I would love to do some dyno time tuning it. But if as you and several others have said - I end up using TPS to tune it, sea level tuning does me almost no good unless I copy the tuning and save it somehow. The car will spend most of its time in Reno where the elevation can change from 4500' to 5500' in 30 miles. Head East on either Hwy 50 or 80 and you get to 7300'.
If I had done my research, I would have bought a system that I could 'flash' tune for different altitudes. I plan on doing as much of the SCCA Solo II series here in Reno as I can but I also plan to get over the hill to Sacramento and even as far away as Marina and Santa Rosa.
SDS just released their EM-5 series. I browsed it a bit but I don't think it has gotten sophisticated enough to switch from TPS to MAP at different RPM's and besides, John makes a good point, when driving this engine on the highway, I will be just north of idle at cruising speed.
Knowing Mark, it wouldn't surprise me if he comes up with something to amplify and smooth the vacuum signal.
Dave Hunt's motor runs AMAZINGLY well. I think he went back to MegaSquirt though.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 21 2011, 08:53 AM
Post #176

Apex killer!

Note to SDS: Make an ECU that has a USB port that you can up/download tuning parameters to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
brp986s
post Oct 21 2011, 09:20 AM
Post #177

Member No.: 8,167

Can't you use an altitude sensor from '84 - '89 carrera to tweak a SDS input?
+Quote Post
Randal
post Oct 21 2011, 10:21 AM
Post #178

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 21 2011, 07:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 20 2011, 07:26 AM) *

Rich

I am of a mixed mind on this... I would love to do some dyno time tuning it. But if as you and several others have said - I end up using TPS to tune it, sea level tuning does me almost no good unless I copy the tuning and save it somehow. The car will spend most of its time in Reno where the elevation can change from 4500' to 5500' in 30 miles. Head East on either Hwy 50 or 80 and you get to 7300'.
If I had done my research, I would have bought a system that I could 'flash' tune for different altitudes. I plan on doing as much of the SCCA Solo II series here in Reno as I can but I also plan to get over the hill to Sacramento and even as far away as Marina and Santa Rosa.
SDS just released their EM-5 series. I browsed it a bit but I don't think it has gotten sophisticated enough to switch from TPS to MAP at different RPM's and besides, John makes a good point, when driving this engine on the highway, I will be just north of idle at cruising speed.
Knowing Mark, it wouldn't surprise me if he comes up with something to amplify and smooth the vacuum signal.
Dave Hunt's motor runs AMAZINGLY well. I think he went back to MegaSquirt though.

My rig has a O2 sensor on it that I thought compensated for altitude. I'll have to go back and check the documentation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
stewteral
post Oct 21 2011, 11:02 AM
Post #179

Old Member

Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 2 2011, 02:24 PM) *

Here are some random shots of the engine as it goes together...

Hi ConeDodger,

Beautiful engine and impressive power. I'm especially impressed with the FLAT torque curve!: Raby has really got a great cam there.

I have only 1 question: After all the work & $$ you're investing in the engine, how can you trust it's "Life's blood" (oil) to run through rubber hoses with hose clamps? Hose clamps DO loosen up!

My suggestion: buy some ends & tubing from Summit Racing (Earl's or Aeroquip, etc.) and make up stainless steel wire-wrapped oil lines!!! I am commited to using these on oil and gas lines 'cause if a rubber hose fails on them, it's BIG TROUBLE!

Thanks for all the great pics!!

Terry
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 21 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #180

Apex killer!

QUOTE(stewteral @ Oct 21 2011, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 2 2011, 02:24 PM) *

Here are some random shots of the engine as it goes together...

Hi ConeDodger,

Beautiful engine and impressive power. I'm especially impressed with the FLAT torque curve!: Raby has really got a great cam there.

I have only 1 question: After all the work & $$ you're investing in the engine, how can you trust it's "Life's blood" (oil) to run through rubber hoses with hose clamps? Hose clamps DO loosen up!

My suggestion: buy some ends & tubing from Summit Racing (Earl's or Aeroquip, etc.) and make up stainless steel wire-wrapped oil lines!!! I am commited to using these on oil and gas lines 'cause if a rubber hose fails on them, it's BIG TROUBLE!

Thanks for all the great pics!!

Terry

This suggestion has already been made in this thread. I will likely have some hoses made by NAPA but to use a phrase one of our resident engineers has already brought up in this thread, this is "low probability, high consequence."
+Quote Post

69 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 12:39 AM