Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
ConeDodger
First of all, let me say this: let's not turn this into a 4 vs: 6 thread. I like them both and really don't give a damn about your position on this non-issue.

All the legal stuff out of the way, let's talk engine.

First of all, this project is well advanced. The engine is already together and the 20 minute cam run in has been done. But let's talk about how we got to that point first...

This motor is a 2432 Raby kit. It uses the LE200 heads and stock 2liter cylinders. The stroked crank is 84mm I believe so think of it as a super-stroker. It will run Jenvey throttle bodies and SDS injection. The EFI sensors I have chosen to use will be TPS, CHT, MAP, IAT, O2 in closed loop, and I think that is everything. Injectors are Ford Red Top. This motor requires quite a bit of engine block clearance so as they say, don't try this at home...

It took me about three trips down to Original Customs to put the engine together. I used McMark's shop so I could get his free advice which he of course charges me for, and I don't get distracted by wives wondering how much all of this costs. Plus Mark has an engine break-in stand that allows us to fire it out of the car and correct anything that might be wrong without having to pull an already installed motor.

Here is a dyno sheet of one of these motors that Jake actually built. I would expect that my result might be within 10% of his. :Insert fingers crossed smiley here:
ConeDodger
Jenvey throttle bodies
ConeDodger
Custom air cleaners using K&N filters designed by Jake Raby
ConeDodger
This engine will be distributorless so this is a couple shots of the Original Customs Hall Sensor mount. Also notice, the crankcase vent that was custom built by Jeff Hines (sixnotfour). This is replacing the distributor and venting the crankcase.
Mike Bellis
This is a bad ass build! Rock on! aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
Here are some random shots of the engine as it goes together...
ConeDodger
Here is a close-up of just how much spacer you need to run that much of a stroke. Pretty thick!!! smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 2 2011, 01:22 PM) *

This is a bad ass build! Rock on! aktion035.gif

Thanks Mike! I'm just the cook though... Jake was the chef and Mark is supervising the kitchen...

Mark has a video of the cam break in. Maybe he will post that here...
Dr Evil
wub.gif Say what you will, that is beautiful!
MDG
I think I'd be a vibrating mess waiting to drive it. Those chart numbers are amazing. And the yellow line for fuel . . . it doesn't use any unsure.gif

Seriously, congratulations on this!! smilie_pokal.gif
ConeDodger
Some planned locations for SDS components are as follows: The SDS ECU with it's hideous gold anodizing will hide under the passenger seat along with the O2 Sensor control unit. The coil packs will be over on the driver side wall just aft of the relay board. Here is a pic of the vacuum manifold that will collect and smooth the vacuum impulses from the four vacuum vents on the ITB's. This of course will be connected to the MAP. That hideous Eagle will be face down... barf.gif The CHT will be in the stock 2liter location and in fact, is the stock Bosch unit. The Intake Air Temperature Sensor will be located between the air cleaners and correct me if I am wrong Mark - on the passenger side? This will use one of McMark's Original Customs designed mounts which he has used on other peoples motors...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 2 2011, 01:36 PM) *

I think I'd be a vibrating mess waiting to drive it. Those chart numbers are amazing. And the yellow line for fuel . . . it doesn't use any unsure.gif

Seriously, congratulations on this!! smilie_pokal.gif

Mike, I think it is an often overlooked fact that Jake's creations run smoother, use less fuel and run cooler than stock. I'd guess Jake didn't record that parameter 'cause this thing will be thirsty!

I am very excited.
evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 2 2011, 01:32 PM) *

Has anyone else noticed that the only people who have responded to this thread are named Mike? dry.gif

Thanks Evil... As we say in science the rate limiting factor at this point is the custom harness being built by Jeff Bowlsby. The prevalent opinion on the SDS harness was 'cheesy' so Jeff is building a custom one. The plan was to have it done in January but Jeff has some issues personally and professionally right now that are making his life hell and holding the harness up...
76-914
aktion035.gif Nice job, Sweeeeeeeeeeet. And seeing as how these things usually end up being a 50/50 deal, what did you have to buy her as an offset? lol-2.gif
Madswede
Very cool! shades.gif And even tho I'll have a /6 in my teener, I love big /4's! Look no further than my beloved 968 - 3.0L /4 (inline of course) that I plan eventually to have turbocharged.

Even right now, though, it's around 240 hp naturally aspirated thanks to VarioCam. Once of the reasons I fell in love P-cars in the first place was 'cos they find replacements for cubic displacement ... like good engineering.

I'm now in awe of Jake Raby.

- Nelson
ConeDodger
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 2 2011, 01:46 PM) *

aktion035.gif Nice job, Sweeeeeeeeeeet. And seeing as how these things usually end up being a 50/50 deal, what did you have to buy her as an offset? lol-2.gif

sad.gif It's looking like a Cayenne S... Thanks to that provocateur Eric Shea!
rick 918-S
Are you planning on attending the WCR with it? drooley.gif Very nice! You have some of the best of the best working on it too!
VaccaRabite
This fills my "coolest thing of the day" slot!

What are you going to do for exhaust? I kinda doubt you are going to be able to use the usual suspects with that much extra space under the cylinders.

Zach
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 2 2011, 01:57 PM) *

Are you planning on attending the WCR with it? drooley.gif Very nice! You have some of the best of the best working on it too!

I hope so...
MDG
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 2 2011, 05:44 PM) *

Has anyone else noticed that the only people who have responded to this thread are named Mike? dry.gif

laugh.gif We move in packs . . .
Krieger
Very cool Rob!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 2 2011, 02:02 PM) *

This fills my "coolest thing of the day" slot!

What are you going to do for exhaust? I kinda doubt you are going to be able to use the usual suspects with that much extra space under the cylinders.

Zach

I am using Tangerine Racing headers with the O2 sensor bung and heat exchanger option. It has also been drilled for EGT probe. Chris Foley may live on the wrong side of the country from me but his work is well worth the extra shipping. The slip fittings between the sides are plenty long enough so there are no problems...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 2 2011, 02:05 PM) *

Very cool Rob!

Andy, It's engine envy. I want to make up for what I lack in talent compared to you with more torque!!! biggrin.gif
Krieger
Thanks, your gonna have a blast driving that thing!
Andyrew
Nice!!! Looking forward to this one!

Some serious $$$$ being put down on this engine.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 2 2011, 02:55 PM) *

Nice!!! Looking forward to this one!

Some serious $$$$ being put down on this engine.

sheeplove.gif Mostly sexual favors but it is nice to know that you think my booty is worth $$$$ av-943.gif
Jake Raby
The engine that Rob's kit was based from is going into my 356 Outlaw. 220+ HP and an ass load of torque.

Rob, glad you are having fun with this.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 2 2011, 03:21 PM) *

The engine that Rob's kit was based from is going into my 356 Outlaw. 220+ HP and an ass load of torque.

Rob, glad you are having fun with this.

Thanks Jake! That much HP and torque didn't seem real until we fired it and ran it on the stand. Mark had made braces to keep it from flipping the stand over and it needed it! She ran rough for a minute or two while she warmed up and then became very smooth. This thing is powerful for sure...
patssle
So what is the cost, inquiring minds want to know!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(patssle @ Apr 2 2011, 04:36 PM) *

So what is the cost, inquiring minds want to know!

Oh no you don't... My wife is a member here. dry.gif
JRust
Excellent Rob! If you bring it to WCR. Just make sure you driving.gif the damn thing yourself poke.gif . Or tow it yourself laugh.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 2 2011, 04:41 PM) *

Excellent Rob! If you bring it to WCR. Just make sure you driving.gif the damn thing yourself poke.gif . Or tow it yourself laugh.gif

I think Jim does plan on coming up with his beer creation... Two Trunk Ale or something like that.

As I said before, if I could change anything other than it not happening, I would just have changed it to me driving. Poor Jim feels pretty badly. sad.gif
gopack
Rob, you make me feel like schmuck for letting my partial car just sit in the garage for the past year. Now that I am moving to a different house, maybe I can get going on it again!

Sounds like my envy will get in the way of our freindship!
Sounds like a great project!!!!!!!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(gopack @ Apr 2 2011, 04:54 PM) *

Rob, you make me feel like schmuck for letting my partial car just sit in the garage for the past year. Now that I am moving to a different house, maybe I can get going on it again!

Sounds like my envy will get in the way of our freindship!
Sounds like a great project!!!!!!!!

Baloney Mark biggrin.gif Get your tail up to the next reunion and find some motivation there. Leave your cheesehead hat at home though poke.gif
gopack
Next saturday? I'm planning on making it now that the weather is better! Just have to slip out while the wife isnt looking! See Ya next week!
I promise NOT to wear a cheesehead, but I CAN NOT promise not to wear some superbowl XLV gear!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(gopack @ Apr 2 2011, 05:24 PM) *

Next saturday? I'm planning on making it now that the weather is better! Just have to slip out while the wife isnt looking! See Ya next week!
I promise NOT to wear a cheesehead, but I CAN NOT promise not to wear some superbowl XLV gear!

Actually a week from Sunday. I am trying to make it possible for Randy to come. He usually can't 'cause he is slinging veggies at work...
Jake Raby
It doesn't seem to matter what it costs.. Our kit program is slammed until November and we only have one slot left open then for a February 2012 delivery.

To build an engine from scratch like this is a 10K+ expenditure to incklude the kit, induction, exhaust and ancillaries. In turn key form its around 13K hot off my dyno in a crate like this one, ready to run.
Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 2 2011, 05:43 PM) *

It doesn't seem to matter what it costs.. Our kit program is slammed until November and we only have one slot left open then for a February 2012 delivery.

To build an engine from scratch like this is a 10K+ expenditure to incklude the kit, induction, exhaust and ancillaries. In turn key form its around 13K hot off my dyno in a crate like this one, ready to run.
Click to view attachment

Actually, someone asked how much at Original Customs last weekend while I was working on my car. A 912 guy. That was exactly the answer I gave him and Mark agreed. I have no idea really.

All I can say is work hard so you can write checks that don't bounce... biggrin.gif
raw1298
I cant wait to see this in person. Looks like fun!!! aktion035.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 2 2011, 09:43 PM) *

To build an engine from scratch like this is a 10K+ expenditure to incklude the kit, induction, exhaust and ancillaries. In turn key form its around 13K hot off my dyno in a crate like this one, ready to run.Click to view attachment

So you are saying that a turn key engine just like this is 13K? Thats what I am reading here. Must have missed that one on the website smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Apr 3 2011, 02:47 AM) *

To build an engine from scratch like this is a 10K+ expenditure to incklude the kit, induction, exhaust and ancillaries. In turn key form its around 13K hot off my dyno in a crate like this one, ready to run.Click to view attachment

So you are saying that a turn key engine just like this is 13K? Thats what I am reading here. Must have missed that one on the website smile.gif

There is a good deal of stuff you must supply. That can add thousands depending on what you have and what you need to source. The nice thing about Jake's turnkey program is that it comes out of that box, broken in, tuned and ready to go...
JRust
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 2 2011, 05:48 PM) *

I think Jim does plan on coming up with his beer creation... Two Trunk Ale or something like that.
As I said before, if I could change anything other than it not happening, I would just have changed it to me driving. Poor Jim feels pretty badly. sad.gif

We definately want Jim there biggrin.gif . I know there are a few of the home brewing guys looking forward to what is coming beer.gif . I sure feel for Jim. I have driven friends 914's before & had mine driven by others. That kind of scenarion is everyone's nightmare. stromberg.gif happens though & is past. It will be great to see your 914 in all it's new glory piratenanner.gif
Congrats!!.. When you start walking away from some of the cars out there, they will be scratching their heads
Cost wise ya.. bring lots and lots of it. Then an old Porsche tech mentioned way way back- if you want to play – bring $.

PeeGreen 914
I'd just like to say I hate you and never want to talk to you again dry.gif

Okay, in all honesty, this is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while aktion035.gif

Now, I will be sure to take a few great shots of your car near some classy garbage cans at the WCR. happy11.gif

Rob, you sure do have some cool toys drooley.gif
patssle
Oh I wasn't interested in buying, just curious to compare it to my /6 conversion which seems to be around the same HP.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(patssle @ Apr 3 2011, 01:20 PM) *

Oh I wasn't interested in buying, just curious to compare it to my /6 conversion which seems to be around the same HP.

But 150# heavier. But as I said, this thread isn't about that so don't go there...
ottox914
I had a little preview of this when I was in CA a month ago or so. Nice motor. If those dyno charts on page 1 are even close to what you'll be making, HOLD ON!!!!

I can only hope once I get the turbo motor perfected I'll be in that ballpark.

Congrats on a great project! Now bolt that thing in and go zombie hunting!!!
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Apr 3 2011, 03:47 AM) *

This combo isn't on the site as an advertised offering. This is a full custom build that I choose to offer to some purchasers that have cars that are properly set up for this type of power.

Yes it is expensive and it always will be.
914Mike
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 2 2011, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 2 2011, 01:32 PM) *

Yup!

Looks good! I see you're full-flowing it.
ConeDodger
Yes, we have most definitely left this in the past...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.