Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
ConeDodger
Wow! You got so much done on the Squareback I thought my car was still in line...

Nice! drooley.gif

Still trying to decide on the 4 mounts... dry.gif what to do?
jeff
I cut my 4 cylinder mounts off but, in retrospect if I ever decide to use a drivetrain like a subaru or whatever they offer some additional attachment points.. If I did it again I'd leave them in...
McMark
Don't look back. happy11.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 31 2013, 10:48 PM) *

Don't look back. happy11.gif

agree.gif

Once the 3.2 goes in to my car, I have a few small things to do and it's a new car. I'm going to drive it. driving.gif BBQ in LA? See you there! Party at the Shea's? See you there! With the 3.2 this car will not need a new drivetrain...
mepstein
Kill the 4 mounts. sawzall-smiley.gif
ConeDodger
We intend to leave the sound deadening off the firewall. Anyone know the area of the wall behind the seats? I will pick up Dynamat to cover it before a trip down. Also, I wonder how thick I can put on? It comes up to half an inch I think? dry.gif
McMark
GT oil cooler is in! Both inlet and outlet were 'sealed' with mesh. As always the mesh is a harder to find punched steel, not the typical expanded steel you find at your local hardware store. It's almost an exact match to the engine lid diamond punch metal.

Shroud is Getty Design.
Cooler is Patrick Motorsports custom Setrab unit.
CptTripps
They have all kinds of perforated and extruded metal here:

http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/hrstee...%20&aident=

http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/hrstee...%20&aident=
2mAn
Just went through the entire thread. LOVED the big 4, but I (believe) I understand why you switched to the 6. It seemed like the "S"DS was more of a pain than it was worth.

Loving how this car has come along and look forward to its future.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(2mAn @ Jan 9 2014, 12:57 PM) *

Just went through the entire thread. LOVED the big 4, but I (believe) I understand why you switched to the 6. It seemed like the "S"DS was more of a pain than it was worth.

Loving how this car has come along and look forward to its future.

It was simple. I was looking for flexible functionality... dry.gif

It will tune fine for wherever you are. I live at 4500' and often drive to @sea level by passing over a 7200' pass. Car still ran fine but I would get scary A:F numbers and my CHT would climb. DME EMS gives me that flexibility and I should have around 240HP and about the same torque. The trade off is 150# more weight. I do more track days than autocrosses these days so that isn't as important as it was when the reverse was true.

Besides Eric_Shea called me a pussy cause I drove a 4 cylinder.... blink.gif av-943.gif

This engine would run great in any setting with MegaSquirt and I would have gone there if a buyer hadn't come along. He got a great (rare) motor and if he chooses, McMark can help him go to MegaSquirt.
ConeDodger
Looks good Mark. I'm going to try to get down next week and go by WEVO for the 915 kit. Thanks for the pics!
McMark
Wevo is good stuff. Sounds like a good plan. I'm working on something for the sub-$2000 market while I have the opportunity.
Dave_Darling
3D printed? wink.gif

--DD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 9 2014, 03:55 PM) *

Wevo is good stuff. Sounds like a good plan. I'm working on something for the sub-$2000 market while I have the opportunity.

WHAT??? huh.gif
ConeDodger
There has been sounds of cutting and grinding coming from the OC (Original Customs) this week. I haven't seen the pictures but I'm told I have no more 4 mounts! In the process of prepping the engine compartment for the new 3.2 Carrera motor, McMark discovered some rust. Not much I'm told but enough that he had to call me. When I bought the car, there was pretty much no rust to speak of with one exception. The battery tray had let go of the wall above to hell hole. I had met a guy who I now know to be an imposter claiming to be a 914 expert and he offered to repair the battery tray and I said 'have at it' A new tray was installed and following some work to the wheel arch, a bit of Diamond Silver Metallic made it look like new. Sure enough, this "expert" just covered up some rust with bad bodywork. mad.gif McMark has a new guy at his shop who is extremely productive and hates rust with a passion! I'm sure it will be straightened out in short order! biggrin.gif

Pictures when McMark gets a chance. The engine is going in soon!!! driving.gif
McMark
Okay. Picture time.... biggrin.gif

DME is mounted between the seats. We'll cover it later with carpet or a custom box, whatever Rob wants. The previous SDS install left us with a hole in the firewall and a plate beneath the passenger seat. We reused both as necessary. So the DME harness passes through the firewall in a 35pin sealed connector.
Click to view attachment

We found some rust in the hell-hole area. Nothing major, but while we're in there. happy11.gif
Pitting like this was all over. This is behind the four cylinder mount we removed. I gotta talk to my guys about taking better pictures. rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment

The area behind the 4 cyl mount is patched, and the top of the long is new. There's still a hole in the firewall and the area where the battery tray welds on is rough.
Click to view attachment

Again with the bad pictures. All the metal work in the hell hole is done, except for the new battery tray. Oh, and I'll get better pictures when the engine is back out, but we also closed up some previous holes made for the ground cable and patched in a new lug/mount for the ground cable. All back to stock! biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

We also replaced the rear trunk hinge mounts.
Click to view attachment

Engine is in the car for test fitting, wiring harness fabrication, modifying valve covers, etc.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Those MSDS headers look good! evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
biggrin.gif In case you're wondering how I'm feeling about all of this... first.gif
ConeDodger
A question for those of you who have gone with the Getty Carbon Fiber lids. I picked up a set used and will be putting them on. For the rear, have you used a prop rod? One spring? Both springs? A gas shock?

I should think not much would be needed... smile.gif

I will be using pin pads as the GT did. In the rear, the rubber pulls.

ConeDodger
But now for the most important question of all. Mark, will my Check Engine light still work? blink.gif
McMark
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 14 2014, 11:24 AM) *

But now for the most important question of all. Mark, will my Check Engine light still work? blink.gif

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 14 2014, 10:42 AM) *

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Oh no!!! huh.gif
bandjoey
Can't u just open the engine lid to check if the engine is still there? Looking Good! happy11.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 14 2014, 11:13 AM) *

Can't u just open the engine lid to check if the engine is still there? Looking Good! happy11.gif

That's so analog... dry.gif
ConeDodger
McMark asked me this morning about the relay board mount. Apparently no longer needed.

IIRC, that's your relay board anyway. Remember rescuing me when I had some bizzarro shizit going on while autocrossing in Sonoma? biggrin.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 14 2014, 02:13 PM) *

Why is this so funny to me? av-943.gif

Lookin' good Rob. We humble test drivers of 914World are standing by....just PM when ready. Or call.........or e-mail.....or you can post on this thread.......or start a new one......really no rules on how you want to communicate. We make it easy.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 14 2014, 11:51 AM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 14 2014, 02:13 PM) *

Why is this so funny to me? av-943.gif

Lookin' good Rob. We humble test drivers of 914World are standing by....just PM when ready. Or call.........or e-mail.....or you can post on this thread.......or start a new one......really no rules on how you want to communicate. We make it easy.

Probably because it is really funny! lol-2.gif

I suspect it'll be running this week or next and it can be seen at WCR Teeners at Tahoe II... But, NO ONE and by the way, by that I mean NO ONE, drives her but me. If you know my car, you know why! biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 14 2014, 01:06 PM) *

... But, NO ONE and by the way, by that I mean NO ONE, drives her but me. If you know my car, you know why! biggrin.gif

lol-2.gif

hide.gif

This car will be awesome!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 14 2014, 12:59 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 14 2014, 01:06 PM) *

... But, NO ONE and by the way, by that I mean NO ONE, drives her but me. If you know my car, you know why! biggrin.gif

lol-2.gif

hide.gif

This car will be awesome!

Shut up Mike. mad.gif

lol-2.gif av-943.gif
McMark
Got the order list for plumbing the oil cooler. We already had a Mocal AN-12 thermostat, Rob's oil cooler is already AN-12, and this includes fittings for a Patrick Motorsports tank.
ConeDodger
Looks like I get to go shopping! biggrin.gif
Chris H.
Again? You just got back! laugh.gif
ConeDodger
Shhhh! Don't get too excited but I got a McMessage today that Original Customs might be firing it up soon! piratenanner.gif
ConeDodger
It runs. No nasty noises. No smoke. Just pure flat 6 music! evilgrin.gif

Mark just sent me a Quicktime Video and it is heavenly! cheer.gif
rick 918-S
Love the McMessage! biggrin.gif Share the vid man! aktion035.gif
76-914

I like that. Did you make that from a 914 "Fasten Seat Belt" light? I have one of your name tags so I wondered. If so do tell and I want one.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 12 2014, 01:55 PM) *

I like that. Did you make that from a 914 "Fasten Seat Belt" light? I have one of your name tags so I wondered. If so do tell and I want one.

The making of the Check Engine light is outlined a few pages back. It's easy to do, just follow the directions on page 14. evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 12 2014, 01:54 PM) *

Love the McMessage! biggrin.gif Share the vid man! aktion035.gif

Rick,
I tried to upload it with no joy. I did put it on Apex Carvers on Facebook successfully.

By the way, Gil from Gilson Autobody is all primed (no pun intended) to meet you. Said he'd love to talk.
McMark
By the way, Gil from Gilson Autobody is all primed (no pun intended) to meet you. Said he'd love to talk.

Mark loves to talk too. ph34r.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyGZtNz14OA
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ May 12 2014, 04:02 PM) *

Nice! Are my plates expired?
McMark
Apparently. 04/2014. ohmy.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ May 12 2014, 04:17 PM) *

Apparently. 04/2014. ohmy.gif

I'll have to get down there this week... dry.gif
sixnotfour
sounds just like my 87 Carrera .. beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ May 12 2014, 04:02 PM) *

Things I notice. First of all, the starter sounds like a hammer. I suppose that's because it is inside and the sound is echoing off the walls in the McShop. Remember, this is either a late prototype or an early production of McMark's reproduction 6 mount. The engine isn't under load in the video but from what I can see, there isn't any 'torque twist' going on. Some of the Patrick Motorsports criticism of the stock mount which this is very much like, is that it creates shifting problems with the torque twist. We shall see. Looks good in that video though! biggrin.gif
JStroud
I guess I have the first Mcmount on the road, didn't notice any adverse affects on anything, power...shifting all smooth. Nice job Mark first.gif

Rob, if you think it sounds awesome.....wait till you drive it!!!!
My wife is still telling me.......get that silly grin off your face....and I haven't driven it since yesterday. lol-2.gif Too much fun. driving.gif

Jeff

Justinp71
QUOTE(JStroud @ May 13 2014, 04:57 PM) *

I guess I have the first Mcmount on the road, didn't notice any adverse affects on anything, power...shifting all smooth. Nice job Mark first.gif

Rob, if you think it sounds awesome.....wait till you drive it!!!!
My wife is still telling me.......get that silly grin off your face....and I haven't driven it since yesterday. lol-2.gif Too much fun. driving.gif

Jeff

Yea I agree, my new 3.2 is a blast! I have the cammed/carbed version, but however you get that amount of power in a 914 is a fun ride... Its a totally different hp profile in the cammed/carbed version, its like a turbo kicks in at 3500rpms (still has decent torq in low rpms too).

I used to have a quick six mount and it didn't flex at all. I have one of the RJ mounts now and it flexs some, but doesn't give it shifting problems...

driving.gif
ConeDodger
Picking it up tomorrow... I figure I'll look like evilgrin.gif this all the way home and then like this biggrin.gif when I'm sleeping.
ConeDodger
Ok, so how did I spend my day? First of all, after some discussion with McMark, it was decided that I would ride down on my motorcycle to pick up the car. Tim from Mark's shop will be driving up in the shop truck with his 914 on the shop trailer and maybe my motorcycle if they can figure how to load both on the trailer.

The drive down on the motorcycle was long and hot. 212 miles from my house with a stop at DMV to get new tabs for the 914. Half hour wait and I had them in hand and was on my way. I arrived at Original Customs pretty much beat to heck and after some adjustments to the lights on the car, I was on my way back for the return trip. It was hecka hot and I was doing this with the top down. I only had the one CD that has been in the car for probably a year now so I listened to Tom Petty the whole way, over and over... Good thing I like Tom Petty.

About the engine; This was amazing! Torque everywhere. I climbed from sea level at McMark's shop to 7226' at Donner Pass without a single complaint. Most of it in 5th gear. The real fun is found in entrance ramps though... Pulls like a freight train!!! evilgrin.gif

I saw one CHP officer on a bike at a gas station and he told me he'd 'give me 15 over' to have a little fun but to 'be safe.' Ok, hell ya!

She needs a good bath which she will get tomorrow and then up to WCR 2014 Teeners at Tahoe II for the opening festivities! biggrin.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
McMark
I honestly had my doubts that we were going to make it in time, but it all worked out. WHEW! I'm ready for some time inside a 914 instead of underneath them. laugh.gif

See ya tomorrow!
ConeDodger
Yup! WCR is on!!! cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.