Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
GeorgeRud
How about 914-6 4.0? That seems to be the latest thing and is probably the max for the case.

Amazing car and beautiful rims. The RSR finish is perfect for a silver car!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Harvey Weidman @ Jun 9 2017, 10:40 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 9 2017, 04:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Harvey Weidman @ Jun 9 2017, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 9 2017, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Harvey Weidman @ Jun 9 2017, 03:21 PM) *

Hand grenade > Turbo....smile.gif

blowup.gif

Sorry, It wasn't personal....smile.gif Just when a Turbo passes me there usually is some parts of melted piston coming from the exhaust....Not yours of course..smile.gif

Sir Andy is turboless... laugh.gif

Then I really am sorry....smile.gif

Sir Andy has 3.6 motor with all of its EMS. It's. Pretty. Fast. evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
Just want to thank everyone who voted for my car for Best Flared 914. (I voted for Elvira) evilgrin.gif

Thanks to Jamie Rust for making this award. There was a snafu and even though Jamie paid extra to have this and the Best non-914 award delivered by 3pm Saturday during the event, the didn't arrive at the hotel until Wednesday after the event! blink.gif apparently, Mammoth Mountain Inn uses a 'distribution center' and even though it did arrive apparently on time, the distribution center wandered on up to the actual hotel with it on Wednesday. mad.gif

Anyway, thanks!
ConeDodger
My favorite among the pictures taken of my car at WCR 17. I think by Matt Whitesell or one of the Whitesell's. Nice composition.
iamchappy
Turbo is a good solution...just do it.... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Kind of a solution to a problem I don't have though Chappy. I'm pretty happy with the stockish 3.2. evilgrin.gif
McMark absolutely nailed what I want out of this car. Satisfying without being hard to live with.
iamchappy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 20 2017, 12:28 PM) *

Kind of a solution to a problem I don't have though Chappy. I'm pretty happy with the stockish 3.2. evilgrin.gif
McMark absolutely nailed what I want out of this car. Satisfying without being hard to live with.

biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Jus' playin'
ConeDodger
evilgrin.gif

Got something done today. Knuckles are skinned up anyway...

Pulled my leather covered dash which I was never happy with, and installed a new 914Rubber reproduction. Here are some teaser shots I got before it got too dark for photos...

It's beautiful! smile.gif
ConeDodger
drooley.gif
ConeDodger
And my helper of course... she says woof. That means cool! In dog. laugh.gif
ConeDodger
And now for the full frontal nudity!
ConeDodger
'Nother...
ConeDodger
I see Arne lurking, did you put yours in yet? biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Scoured through some boxes in the garage and found my Carrera speedo with the silver button implant. Boom! Installed!

Oh, and yes, that is actual miles... evilgrin.gif
arne
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 24 2017, 08:45 PM) *

I see Arne lurking, did you put yours in yet? biggrin.gif

Nope, unwrapped to look at it, then packed it right back up. Not going in until after paint. Which may be sooner than I originally thought, since everything else is going well.
ConeDodger
Glad to hear things are going well! It sure looks good!
ConeDodger
Here's the old leather dash... I know, it's pretty nice. Why change? Have you seen 914Rubbers reproduction dash??? biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Here is a little better picture of the 914Rubber dash in and buttoned up. Oh, and I installed the proper Carrera Speedo. It will not work until the 915 is installed but it's in there. Silver button installed by North Hollywood Speedometer...
bigkensteele
I really get a kick every time one of Mark's new dashes gets installed. My NOS pad gave its life to make these happen, and it was a pleasure getting to know him while he worked on this. He really is committed to not only making great products but also making sure that folks are satisfied when they purchase said products.

Looks great Rob! beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jun 28 2017, 12:09 AM) *

I really get a kick every time one of Mark's new dashes gets installed. My NOS pad gave its life to make these happen, and it was a pleasure getting to know him while he worked on this. He really is committed to not only making great products but also making sure that folks are satisfied when they purchase said products.

Thanks Ken! Glad you had one to give! evilgrin.gif
arne
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jun 27 2017, 08:09 PM) *

I'll be sure to let you know when I put mine in, Ken. Maybe I should name it "son of Ken's dash pad"! lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
And as Tom Bliznik would say, I just joined the cool kids club! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
My old leather wrapped dash top in its new home. Mark and I met in a parking lot in Pleasanton and I think he had it installed before I was back to Nevada! evilgrin.gif

Beautiful car Mark!

I think you put it on upside down though! blink.gif
mmascari
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 12 2017, 06:41 PM) *

My old leather wrapped dash top in its new home. Mark and I met in a parking lot in Pleasanton and I think he had it installed before I was back to Nevada! evilgrin.gif

Beautiful car Mark!

HaHa yes I was pretty excited about getting it installed. Thanks again!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mmascari @ Jul 12 2017, 11:26 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 12 2017, 06:41 PM) *

Beautiful car Mark!

HaHa yes I was pretty excited about getting it installed. Thanks again!

No problem Mark. Just glad it found a worthy home. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
I'm sure most of us have noticed EvanO's thread on his 3D printed ashtray replacement. This thing is exactly what I think McMark's Original Customs shop is all about. Original, but custom. One of the main reasons I enjoy working with Mark so much. If you have an idea, he'll make it look like it came that way from the factory. Evan should maybe go work for Mark? Anyway, great product.

Anyway, I got mine from Evan last week and I'm just getting around to doing anything more than just holding it and showing it off. The one thing I was worried about with this thing is that those 'vent' mount cell phone holders can be a little cheesy. They send them to me at work in hopes that I will use it in my company car but I'm so damn deaf after visiting a foreign country with exploding potholes that I pretty much have to use an earphone... So, this morning, I went on a quest to find the best quality cell phone 'vent' mount I could. And, I did! I found the MagicMount Pro Vent from Scosche at the AT&T store. I'm sure you could find it online cheaper and maybe even buy it direct from Scosche. This thing mounts to the 3D printed ashtray as if Evan had planned it that way. It isn't coming off without some effort so simple road vibration isn't going to bother it a bit. It comes with two trim pieces so you can have black or brushed aluminum look. I chose the black as I want it to blend as if it was factory original.

I'll mount it and post a picture in a few minutes here... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
This thing installs in about 15 seconds and just like that, my ashtray, which doesn't appear to have ever been used anyway is retired. Blends pretty nicely, in fact, I'm leaving it in place for next weeks PCA Sierra Nevada Region Concours! evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
And here it is!
ConeDodger
Spent most of the morning getting ready for the "Car washing contest" (McMark) this coming weekend. I'm pretty excited. If I were to win my category/class this weekend, that would be the third year in a row. I'm not much of a concours guy but i'm taking it seriously this year or as seriously as an autocross / trackday guy would. I took off my license plate in the rear and polished underneath it! evilgrin.gif

Id rather be flogging it than buffing I guess...
Krieger
Looking good Rob!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jul 25 2017, 11:24 PM) *

Looking good Rob!

Thanks Andy! And the car looks pretty good too! lol-2.gif av-943.gif laugh.gif
ConeDodger
So last year at the SNR Concours they gave me stinkeye because I couldn't prop my two lids open. I explained that putting the tension springs or a shock on would add weight and that wasn't what this car was about. I was told to get a broomstick or something.

Well, She has more style than that. So, I decided that if your going to Mickey Mouse something, Mickey should be pimpin'.

Check out her new carbon fiber 5/16" by 2' lid props. Now that's style! evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
Just got back from the car washing contest (AKA Sierra-Nevada Region PCA Concours).

Won my class again which is always fun, but better than before with only a 1.1 point reduction.

Oh, BTW... the people's choice award winner was the 356 Cab behind me...
ConeDodger
No pressure Whitesell but the 1.1 point deduction was for my targa bar pad... blink.gif

happy11.gif

lol-2.gif av-943.gif
ConeDodger
Went to cars and coffee today and I was honored to have the photographer take a series of photos of my car. Three like this so I think he likes the hold downs or something! blink.gif
raynekat
Rob...your car definitely looks sweet. You should be very proud of the end result. Beautiful
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 26 2017, 07:34 PM) *

So last year at the SNR Concours they gave me stinkeye because I couldn't prop my two lids open. I explained that putting the tension springs or a shock on would add weight and that wasn't what this car was about. I was told to get a broomstick or something.

Well, She has more style than that. So, I decided that if your going to Mickey Mouse something, Mickey should be pimpin'.

Check out her new carbon fiber 5/16" by 2' lid props. Now that's style! evilgrin.gif

A good freind and client of mine, Seine Systems makes this as a kit " Ultimate Strut" ...they are at Seinetalk@yahoo.com
Marty
ConeDodger
QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 4 2017, 05:43 PM) *

Rob...your car definitely looks sweet. You should be very proud of the end result. Beautiful

Thanks Raynekat, but are they ever really done? sad.gif
laflaur
Car is looking good, it's come a long way from the first time I saw it!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(laflaur @ Oct 19 2017, 08:45 PM) *

Car is looking good, it's come a long way from the first time I saw it!

Sure has John. Do you miss yours?
laflaur
Ill be back, I found something in a garage...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(laflaur @ Oct 19 2017, 09:00 PM) *

Ill be back, I found something in a garage...

smile.gif
ConeDodger
restoration should be easier this time around for you. 914Rubber has made so much stuff and has a lot more in the pipeline. You wouldn't have to hunt down Porsche flares if you decided to go that way. On the downside, the 3.2 I paid $5K for now sells for $15K so YIKES on the motor front! If you're off work Monday, Mark from 914Rubber is in Sac for a layover and we're going to spend the day together.

did you buy the garage find?
laflaur
Not yet, wont need an engine the original is still in the car. This will be a narrow body. Been sitting for a long time
ConeDodger
Probably my favorite picture ever! Thanks Matt Whitesell! w00t.gif
ConeDodger
From now on, i shall refer to my car as Miss November 2018! av-943.gif lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
So my next winter project is to turn two of these, into two of the GT style.

Should be fun. I am thinking the steps are to going to be to dechrome, drill them and prep for rechrome using the same shop McMark uses. Ogden Chrome as they did an exceptional job on my steel GT front bumper and it is fine as frogs hair.

Big thanks to Garold Shaffer of 914 Ecology for searching his stash for the "Worst 914 handles he has as nice isn't needed cause they'll be perfect when they're done.

Only thing is, the handles Garold sent are better than the handles I have on the car! blink.gif
tomeric914
Rob, it's almost too nice to drive. You better stop now. beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jan 8 2018, 10:46 PM) *

Rob, it's almost too nice to drive. You better stop now. beerchug.gif

Thanks! I do avoid snow and rain so this time of year is somewhat limited but mostly not. The best thing about the 3.2 is that it’s as tame as you want it or, you can go a little wild. I find myself cleaning and polishing a lot. I find that relaxing. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.