Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
ConeDodger
This is an idea I had which I ran by McMark. He didn't shake his head and say something demeaning so I contacted Jeff Hines (sixnotfour) who quite quickly ran me up two of them with different sizes on the hose bib... This of course, takes the place of the distributor since this engine will be crank fired. Both the head vents have been plugged and we will be venting the case through here and returning any oil through the the old PCV hole in the oil console...

I cannot caution enough, do not build an engine without properly venting the case. You could blow out seals and have leaks that will be legendary! blink.gif
PeeGreen 914
Jeff does some really cool stuff. Can't wait to see this engine in person Rob beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 3 2011, 08:35 PM) *

Jeff does some really cool stuff. Can't wait to see this engine in person Rob beerchug.gif

Jeff reminds me of a buddy I had in high school. His Dad owned a machine shop with lots of Govt. contracts and they had lots of titanium around. He replicated a bunch of part on his snowmobile in titanium and had that thing weighing in about 25# lighter. It freakin' flew. Jeff is a great guy too. I hear he even made 'That Guy' once! beer.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mike914 @ Apr 3 2011, 06:45 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 2 2011, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 2 2011, 01:32 PM) *

wub.gif Say what you will, that is beautiful!

Has anyone else noticed that the only people who have responded to this thread are named Mike? dry.gif

Yup!

Looks good! I see you're full-flowing it.

Yes, full flow for sure... In fact here is another Original Customs innovation/fabrication... The filter console is mounted to the engine room wall ala 911 Carrera. Mark fabricated this cup to catch any oil that might drip during oil filter change out. He welded in a nipple that has a hose attached to it and the oil then just drips out through the hose.
PeeGreen 914
Excellent idea. I always hated the BS engineering that goes into the filter locations only to drip in all sorts of odd areas.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 3 2011, 09:09 PM) *

Excellent idea. I always hated the BS engineering that goes into the filter locations only to drip in all sorts of odd areas.

That was all McMark's idea. Old school fabrication skills too. He used a hammer and a shot bag to shape it and then powdercoated it to make it purdy!!!
McMark
He didn't shake his head and say something demeaning

Now hold on just a second... av-943.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 4 2011, 07:41 AM) *

poke.gif Got Ya!

Mark, will you replace that picture of the crankcase vent with the full size version and embed the video of the cam run in? Thanks!
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 2 2011, 03:21 PM) *

The engine that Rob's kit was based from is going into my 356 Outlaw. 220+ HP and an ass load of torque.

Rob, glad you are having fun with this.

Ooo, that'll be some cool outlaw!
And hey, it's still 25% the cost of a Polo 4-cyl 911 engine wink.gif
McMark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MMi4z5JCnA
Dave_Darling
So, any idea why the #1 exhaust pipe got so hot? Was it just for break-in, or was it still doing it the next time you fired it up?

What were you doing with that box and wire near the end?

--DD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 4 2011, 03:42 PM) *

So, any idea why the #1 exhaust pipe got so hot? Was it just for break-in, or was it still doing it the next time you fired it up?

What were you doing with that box and wire near the end?

--DD

Dave,
That pipe is drilled for a EGT probe. So there was an open tiny hole allowing air in and burning unburned fuel in the pipe. Add to that, those carbs were inadequate for that motor so it was running lean. It wasn't a problem because the engine was on a stand and not under load.
Jake Raby
Thats header always has an elevated EGT on #1. We have been seeing this for years on the dyno.
McMark
The box w/ wire was a Fluke meter with a temperature probe on it. I was checking the exhaust pipe voltage. shades.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 4 2011, 06:30 PM) *

The box w/ wire was a Fluke meter with a temperature probe on it. I was checking the exhaust pipe voltage. shades.gif

Silly Mark! Whatcha spect? It was 12 volt just like the rest of the damned car blink.gif
Dave_Darling
Cool, all of those make sense. Even McMark's answer, sort of. wink.gif

Thanks for clearing that up.

--DD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 4 2011, 09:57 PM) *

Cool, all of those make sense. Even McMark's answer, sort of. wink.gif

Thanks for clearing that up.

--DD

Dave, I love that you understand us... But, no. Those answers don't make sense. You can come and hang with us at the OC anytime! biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 4 2011, 07:42 PM) *

So, any idea why the #1 exhaust pipe got so hot?

How could you tell the #1 pipe was hot with the #2 pipe glowing so brightly nearby? sunglasses.gif

BTW, running that lean is a quick way to destroy the coating on a header.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 5 2011, 05:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 4 2011, 07:42 PM) *

So, any idea why the #1 exhaust pipe got so hot?

How could you tell the #1 pipe was hot with the #2 pipe glowing so brightly nearby? sunglasses.gif

BTW, running that lean is a quick way to destroy the coating on a header.

Chris,
This is not your original coating. They were just re-coated at a Jet Hot facility here before being installed. Once the EFI is on, they will never run that hot again. After the 20 minutes, the header coating looks fine.

ConeDodger
Here is another Original Customs application. This is something that Mark has done on a few EFI engine builds so it is tested and works. One of the parameters SDS uses to meter fuel is the temperature and thus, density of the intake air. This is the IAT or intake air temperature sensor. Mark has fabricated a mount that puts this between the air cleaners on the right side throttle bodies.
Next up, the linkage. A much better than hex bar solution!
Mike Bellis
Rob,

That engine needs a car! Hurry up! beer.gif
McMark
Booyah!
ConeDodger
Now that is a very accurate linkage set up. Mark had to source longer threaded rod to go between the pivot and the throttle body because this engine is so wide.
Nicely activated by this sexy little cable guide fabricated by Mark at the OC... I like it! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 7 2011, 06:57 PM) *

Rob,

That engine needs a car! Hurry up! beer.gif

Mike - it's going to go about 3 feet in front of this license plate... (ignore the damned garbage can Bovey!) blink.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 7 2011, 08:18 PM) *

(ignore the damned garbage can Bovey!) blink.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
popcorn[1].gif
PeeGreen 914
confused24.gif why ROb, would I ever comment on a picture of your car with a garbage can? confused24.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
jgara962
drooley.gif

Can't wait to see it in person Rob!
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 4 2011, 08:41 AM) *

BTDT
biggrin.gif
I am WAY overdue for a trip to OC! Can't believe it is April already. Fo sure will be there for the swap meet in May.
Best wishes for a long and prosperous relationship with your newest TIV creation! beerchug.gif
Cambo
I was wishfully thinking Rob and Mark were going to put that motor in my yellow car by mistake.......
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cambo @ Apr 8 2011, 06:28 PM) *

I was wishfully thinking Rob and Mark were going to put that motor in my yellow car by mistake.......

Don't just dream! Build one!!! driving.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 3 2011, 02:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Apr 3 2011, 03:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 2 2011, 09:43 PM) *

It doesn't seem to matter what it costs.. Our kit program is slammed until November and we only have one slot left open then for a February 2012 delivery.

To build an engine from scratch like this is a 10K+ expenditure to incklude the kit, induction, exhaust and ancillaries. In turn key form its around 13K hot off my dyno in a crate like this one, ready to run.Click to view attachment

So you are saying that a turn key engine just like this is 13K? Thats what I am reading here. Must have missed that one on the website smile.gif

This combo isn't on the site as an advertised offering. This is a full custom build that I choose to offer to some purchasers that have cars that are properly set up for this type of power.

Yes it is expensive and it always will be.

I foresee a time when you will have to go through an interview to buy a Raby Kit. There aren't many cases of this but Jake has a hard time tolerating stupidity. By that I mean people who build it and then don't tune it correctly or don't have the proper gauges or don't use the proper oil. If it doesn't run right you should find out why, not keep driving it until you break it. Bad things usually don't get better and when something is this expensive to buy and build it just seems to be common sense to figure out what is wrong and correct it. I guess common sense isn't as common as it once was though... blink.gif

My car has Elephant bushings, Tarret bar in front, adjustable Koni's, Camber bushings and sealed monoball in the suspension. All topped off with a meticulous corner balancing. My 901 has been built with a billet intermediate plate and a Guard TB unit. I have an M 3rd and S 4th gear in there and Jake would be a proud papa if I fractured that thing with the torque. driving.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 9 2011, 08:45 AM) *

I foresee a time when you will have to go through an interview to buy a Raby Kit.

Well shit, there goes MY chances of ever getting a Raby engine dry.gif

av-943.gif
Jake Raby
Our kit program is filled till November and only on e slot exists for November initiation with a February 2012 delivery.

We can only produce 12 engine kits per year without robbing parts from our turnkey program. This has become more pronounced in the past 18 months as quality parts get fewer and farther between.

I've been interviewing potential purchasers for the past 14 years, just like they interview me in the initial steps of any engine purchase. This is a two way street, when I sell an engine myself and that purchaser are married with no divorce possible. We must be compatible.

I am very reserved, which is why I've been more successful with pleasing my purchasers than most other engine companies in this industry.
ConeDodger
I've gotten a couple PM's wanting to hear more progress. We are waiting on the custom SDS harness. This is kind of a complicated process that involves knowing where everything will be located, laying out the wires, acquiring and attaching all of the appropriate ends. If McMark has time, maybe he can elaborate on the process. Once he is done building it of course biggrin.gif
McMark
Got the wiring diagram drawn up yesterday. There are about 30 wires to keep track of, which doesn't seem like much until you start researching component pin-outs (which pin of this TPS is signal, power or ground?). And the SDS documentation leaves a whole HELL of a lot to be desired. Too many acronyms and no consistency between different references to the same wire. Oh, and during this I discovered that the stickers SDS put on the coil for which cylinder hooks where were WRONG.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing simple about SDS is the name. tongue.gif

Hope you don't mind my RANT, Rob. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Sorry Mark. Think of yourself as a pioneer. smile.gif For those of you who want to know why we are building a custom harness here is a bit of an explanation. The harness that is supplied with the SDS system is made to fit any application. It has wiring long enough to get to anything you can dream up for mounting locations. Add to this, the harness appears to be a little less than ready for the harsh environment of an engine compartment. It looks more like something you might hook up an office computer network.
For this reason, I took the 'delete harness' option when ordering. This takes $250 off. Granted, it will cost more than that to have Mark build me a harness but I will not have coiled up harness under the passenger seat and in the engine compartment.
Ross at SDS answers his own phones so he is a ready reference...
Mark is a bit more of the lap top programmable aftermarket EFI guy... He likes all the tables and graphs you can generate using Megasquirt and such... I just want to drive.

Now to be fair to SDS, their harness must work well. They put it in retrofit airplanes and I have not been hearing of them falling out of the sky due to harness failure. sad.gif
McMark
True. I usually remember to include that caveat. SDS obviously works well. There are plenty of cars out there with it. The system simply doesn't live up to my aesthetic demands, which I'll be the first to admit are a bit over-bearing. But I want things to look nice, as well as function properly. wink.gif
Zimms
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 28 2011, 01:33 PM) *

True. I usually remember to include that caveat. SDS obviously works well. There are plenty of cars out there with it. The system simply doesn't live up to my aesthetic demands, which I'll be the first to admit are a bit over-bearing. But I want things to look nice, as well as function properly. wink.gif

So is this a possible additional product? I would be interested. I have a 2270 Raby kit waiting in my basement, and I plan on doing SDS with ITB's source yet undetermined.

Nice build Rob and Mark. I am loving this thread.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Zimms @ Apr 28 2011, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 28 2011, 01:33 PM) *

So is this a possible additional product? I would be interested. I have a 2270 Raby kit waiting in my basement, and I plan on doing SDS with ITB's source yet undetermined.

Nice build Rob and Mark. I am loving this thread.

I think Mark definitely plans to do this again... I often end up his guinea pig in his quest for knowledge! blink.gif

The source I used were actually someone else's cast-off project stuff. But for your reference the Throttle bodies are Jenvey out of England I think. The manifolds are the same as the common carb manifolds. All other sensors are available through SDS.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 28 2011, 12:33 PM) *

As it should be. first.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 28 2011, 04:50 PM) *

Mark is pretty particular about things being right... Might have something to do with the fact that he hasn't driven a 914 that he owns in years... av-943.gif

OOOoops! I just earned another demeaning look! dry.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 28 2011, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 28 2011, 04:50 PM) *

Mark is pretty particular about things being right... Might have something to do with the fact that he hasn't driven a 914 that he owns in years... av-943.gif

OOOoops! I just earned another demeaning look! dry.gif

I can totally relate. It's the ol pumber with the toilet that won't flush. Never have time for your own stuff.
ConeDodger
Hard to believe this pile of wire is close to becoming a wiring harness...

Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
Rob, I saw your engine at the McSwap meet. It looks great. (You weren't there for some lame assed reason). When Mark wasn't looking, I carved my initials on the case of your engine. happy11.gif
Cheers, Elliot
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 30 2011, 04:06 PM) *

Rob, I saw your engine at the McSwap meet. It looks great. (You weren't there for some lame assed reason). When Mark wasn't looking, I carved my initials on the case of your engine. happy11.gif
Cheers, Elliot

Great! The value just went up a couple thousand! Eric Clapton autographed! biggrin.gif
McMark
Harness mockup goodness.... drooley.gif
ConeDodger
OMG! Looks like McMark hired munchkin wire writers to keep the wires organized!
r_towle
they DO make wires with different colors....

R
ConeDodger
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 3 2011, 07:30 PM) *

they DO make wires with different colors....

R

True enough... but one color of wire with numbers written on them that correspond to this (see below) is cheaper and very useful...

ConeDodger
What was once a pile of wires is now a fuel injection harness! Plans are to mock it up and tune it without load on the engine stand this week...

Stay tuned! piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.