Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
jmill
Sounds great!

I have the Getty FG lids. Don't use stock springs. They'll bust the lid when you try and close them. I haven't come up with a solution for mine yet. I was thinking of getting long lighter springs for the front. I've seen guys use air shocks from camper shell rear windows or SUV rear windows. Some prefer older 1/2 worn out ones to stress lid less. Prop rod is also an option. I'm hesitant to use prop rod unless it fastens securely. I'd hate to see the wind whip it open and rip off the car.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jmill @ May 15 2014, 10:21 AM) *

Sounds great!

I have the Getty FG lids. Don't use stock springs. They'll bust the lid when you try and close them. I haven't come up with a solution for mine yet. I was thinking of getting long lighter springs for the front. I've seen guys use air shocks from camper shell rear windows or SUV rear windows. Some prefer older 1/2 worn out ones to stress lid less. Prop rod is also an option. I'm hesitant to use prop rod unless it fastens securely. I'd hate to see the wind whip it open and rip off the car.

Craig at Camp914 has a nice solution...
ConeDodger
Oi! Not sure how I wind up always being the car McMark Prototests on but I gave him the go ahead to reassemble my 915 transmission with the torque biasing unit with the intension of testing his cable shift ideas.

This means no WEVO kit for me if it works! piratenanner.gif
ConeDodger
Plans for fall, winter, besides McMark reassembling the 915 from my Carrera with a torque biasing unit and doing his cable shift prototyping include a top end rebuild. I suspect the guy who sold me the 3.2 motor was actually wanting to upgrade to that 3.6 INSTEAD of doing the needed top end rebuild. mad.gif
But, I am getting some detail work done as well...
You can't use the 4 cylinder tach with the 6 cylinder motor unless you can do math really quickly. biggrin.gif So I trolled the Pelican 911 classifieds until I found a full set of 87 Carrera gauges. These are the same year as my engine so I know they are compatible. However, I have one of those amazing quad gauges assembled by our member John and I had him do a silver button early mod on it. So these Carrera gauges, while they'll work, need to get with the esthetic theme! So off to North Hollywood Speedometer for restoration and silver buttons...
They came back last night!
ConeDodger
Here is another Original Customs Innovation. Anyone can buy a fiberglass GT style bumper from the usual suspects. I wanted more protection though. This is another case of me not knowing I wanted something until McMark told me I did! blink.gif

It looks great though! All the protection of the stock steel bumper but the cooling duct of a GT bumper.
McMark
Damn that looks even better on the car. drooley.gif
Cairo94507
Rob that looks terrific! Please post a picture head on if you have one. McMark - That looks perfect. Thanks,
Michael
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ May 4 2015, 05:36 PM) *

Damn that looks even better on the car. drooley.gif

I know right? I stood and stared for 10 minutes! beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 4 2015, 05:57 PM) *

Rob that looks terrific! Please post a picture head on if you have one. McMark - That looks perfect. Thanks,
Michael

Here you go Michael, Kind of an awkward picture to take. My 240Z is sitting right in front of the 914 so I only had a few feet I could get back to take it...
Cairo94507
Thanks Rob. This is a terrific fabrication to the steel front bumper when you have an oil cooler up front. I have never really cared for the fiberglass bumpers. At least here in the SF Bay Area a lot of inconsiderate fools believe bumpers are actually for just that, Bumping when parking. I just hope if they hit my Six when it is done they are heavily insured.....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 5 2015, 04:24 PM) *

Thanks Rob. This is a terrific fabrication to the steel front bumper when you have an oil cooler up front. I have never really cared for the fiberglass bumpers. At least here in the SF Bay Area a lot of inconsiderate fools believe bumpers are actually for just that, Bumping when parking. I just hope if they hit my Six when it is done they are heavily insured.....

blink.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif

I know what you mean! I work in the Bay Area!
ConeDodger
So due to a bizarre accident, I find myself home instead of working. So, I saddled myself into my garage office chair and supervised while my daughter's boyfriend who loves working on cars did a bit of bolting and unbolting for me...

These are the Getty Design Fiberglass GT Replica lids with the balsa reinforcement. Obviously, they'll have to be refinished but this is a start.
ConeDodger
Here's a question. I just looked at Stoddard and AA. AA is selling the Porsche VW 914-6 rear Euro emblem for $175, Stoddard for less than half of that. But it seems to only be available in gold? I want the bright chrome. Anyone have a source?
McMark
All early badges were gold, so I doubt it.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ May 7 2015, 03:09 PM) *

Boo! Eric's aren't. Of course any sense of originality went away when he put that Garvey light on the rear! blink.gif
McMark
shades.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ May 7 2015, 03:35 PM) *

shades.gif

Shut up Mark! Don't you think I've had enough demeaning looks? mad.gif rolleyes.gif

Sets appointment for eye doctor for next week...
ConeDodger
My 356 hubcap thingy is gold trimmed too. I just don't think the gold would look good with the silver...
ConeDodger
Just went to pick up dinner for everyone at home with the 914. The roller girl at Sonic did not ask if it was a Fiat. She did not ask what kind of car it was. She simply said "that is the best looking 914 I have ever seen!" I was stunned. "How did you know what it was?" Her dad is our local region prez... biggrin.gif
altitude411
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 7 2015, 07:24 PM) *

Just went to pick up dinner for everyone at home with the 914. The roller girl at Sonic did not ask if it was a Fiat. She did not ask what kind of car it was. She simply said "that is the best looking 914 I have ever seen!" I was stunned. "How did you know what it was?" Her dad is our local region prez... biggrin.gif

I haven't seen her but I'm pretty sure I wub.gif her... cheer.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 7 2015, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 7 2015, 07:24 PM) *

I haven't seen her but I'm pretty sure I wub.gif her... cheer.gif

Well besides the whole jail time for her being 17, I can say that you do wub.gif her...
altitude411
huh.gif unsure.gif Um....ah... what a great kid. blush.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 7 2015, 04:52 PM) *
Anyone have a source?

Get the Stoddard one, and a can of silver spray-paint. Done!

(Or talk to McMark about the chrome-like finish he was looking into at one point. Was it powder coat? Or get some shiny chrome-like vinyl wrapped on the Stoddard one.)

--DD
McMark
Yeah, Dave's right. Search for a local place that does 'spray chrome'.

IPB Image
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ May 8 2015, 07:19 AM) *

Yeah, Dave's right. Search for a local place that does 'spray chrome'.

IPB Image

Hmmm... Good idea.
ConeDodger
Just saw a WTB in the Classifieds for a single trunk spring and it made me think of this... McMark told me I may have a problem using the original front trunk springs with the Getty Design GT replica lid. I thought I would give it a try first so I put both springs on the lowest tension setting. Perfect. No bending or cracking from the lid just a nice smooth close... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
So happy Memorial Day to all! Yopu and I are going out later. This morning we all went out for brunch then Samantha (daughter) and I went to the gun range to shoot. That was exciting as one of the range gals got hit with a ricochet in the stomach and Sam and I got to dress and treat it before taking her to the ER for some more definitive treatment.
Yopu had some business to do this afternoon so I settled in to the garage and decided to do some work on the 914. I had gotten Spoke's LED tails and turns a while back but hadn't taken the time to put them on yet. His instructions on the Group Buy thread are pretty good so this took only a half hour... Big improvement! Very pleased. Nicho wants me to ask Jerry if he will do them for the 944!

Here are some pics...
worn
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 25 2015, 06:15 PM) *

So happy Memorial Day to all! Yopu and I are going out later. This morning we all went out for brunch then Samantha (daughter) and I went to the gun range to shoot. That was exciting as one of the range gals got hit with a ricochet in the stomach and Sam and I got to dress and treat it before taking her to the ER for some more definitive treatment.
Yopu had some business to do this afternoon so I settled in to the garage and decided to do some work on the 914. I had gotten Spoke's LED tails and turns a while back but hadn't taken the time to put them on yet. His instructions on the Group Buy thread are pretty good so this took only a half hour... Big improvement! Very pleased. Nicho wants me to ask Jerry if he will do them for the 944!

Here are some pics...

This is what I love about the Porsche crowd. Bullet wound in the abdomen completely overshadowed by LED tailight discussion. I guess the only thing to say is rock on! Just like our small pca chapter.
worn
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 7 2015, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 7 2015, 03:09 PM) *

Boo! Eric's aren't. Of course any sense of originality went away when he put that Garvey light on the rear! blink.gif

Is there really a west coast ramble license plate? They don't mess much with what you wear in front here, but they seem to care about the rear plates! IGod that looks nice. As does the McMark front bumper.
ConeDodger
Front plate not required according to Nicho. So I'd take that with a grain of salt. He's 17 and 'knows everything.' blink.gif

There was a WCR license plate. We haven't done one in years though.
TJB/914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 25 2015, 09:15 PM) *

Here are some pics...

Hi Rob,
I know someone (me) who has an extra Rear Fog Light Assembly if you want to join the Kool Boys Club for you beautiful 914 rearend??? happy11.gif Riding & Styling in the 914-Hood popcorn[1].gif
Send me a PM if interested.
Tom
ConeDodger
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ May 26 2015, 01:58 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 25 2015, 09:15 PM) *

Here are some pics...

Hi Rob,
I know someone (me) who has an extra Rear Fog Light Assembly if you want to join the Kool Boys Club for you beautiful 914 rearend??? happy11.gif Riding & Styling in the 914-Hood popcorn[1].gif
Send me a PM if interested.
Tom

TBlizz! Love it! shades.gif
ConeDodger
And the fronts are in too! w00t.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(worn @ May 25 2015, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 25 2015, 06:15 PM) *

Here are some pics...

This is what I love about the Porsche crowd. Bullet wound in the abdomen completely overshadowed by LED tailight discussion. I guess the only thing to say is rock on! Just like our small pca chapter.

Ive seen an awful lot of bullet wounds so... Eh... confused24.gif Samantha not so much. That's why I had her handle it. She was great. Brand new RN. first.gif
McMark
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 26 2015, 12:06 PM) *
Ive seen an awful lot of bullet wounds so... Eh... confused24.gif Samantha not so much. That's why I had her handle it. She was great. Brand new RN. first.gif=

Sometimes I'll shoot myself in the leg, just to get his attention. blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ May 26 2015, 10:28 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 26 2015, 12:06 PM) *
Ive seen an awful lot of bullet wounds so... Eh... confused24.gif Samantha not so much. That's why I had her handle it. She was great. Brand new RN. first.gif=

Sometimes I'll shoot myself in the leg, just to get his attention. blink.gif

I'm sorry. Did you say something Mark? rolleyes.gif av-943.gif shades.gif
ConeDodger
Nice weather here in Northern Nevada. After breakfast with Rand, and an hour or so at the shooting range, I drove it! driving.gif

As usual, she purrs like a kitten, and roars like a lion! That 3.2 is music! happy11.gif
McMark
The way the shadows are hitting the asphalt there, I can tell it's sitting 3mm higher, which means it's only got a four cylinder in it. Can't fool me using old pictures! av-943.gif
Rand
Next time we do breakfast, bring her. I still need a ride with the 3.2.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ May 31 2015, 03:45 PM) *

The way the shadows are hitting the asphalt there, I can tell it's sitting 3mm higher, which means it's only got a four cylinder in it. Can't fool me using old pictures! av-943.gif

I think you took this picture Mark. None-the-less, insert demeaning look here! mad.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Rand @ May 31 2015, 04:09 PM) *

Next time we do breakfast, bring her. I still need a ride with the 3.2.

Will do Rand!
Harvey Weidman
QUOTE(McMark @ May 31 2015, 04:45 PM) *

The primered fenders gave it away for me. biggrin.gif
H
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Harvey Weidman @ Jun 1 2015, 06:42 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 31 2015, 04:45 PM) *

The primered fenders gave it away for me. biggrin.gif
H

Oh now even Harvey has turned on me! sad.gif

Ok, I'll go drive it and take some pictures today... biggrin.gif
jeff
Your car is coming out great! I love those 8.5" rear wheels .. How s the performance of it with the 3.2 compared to the Datsun? Those Z cars can be wicked fast...
ConeDodger
Hi Jeff,
The Z car is taking a year off to have an engine built. It is getting a 3 liter stroker with MegaSquirt EFI. It should be wicked fast. These two cars are very different animals. Mostly due to my development. For all those years I've owned my 914 with the 4 cylinders, I developed the suspension pretty much as much as I dared with it being a street car. The Z however, has all polyurethane bushings and wicked huge sway bars. The difference is like comparing a ballerina to a running back. The 914 handles like a dream and is so gentle to drive fast. It dives into corners like it was born to it. The Z requires brute inputs and is all noise and sweat. I love them both and surprisingly, my run times are pretty equal in both of them. After the new engine goes into the Z, I'll try and tame the suspension so it is more ballerina and less running back.

That's me in the front and my good friend Bill Madamba chasing. He was filming me and giving me the same kind of demeaning looks for not hitting my lines that McMark gives me... av-943.gif
ConeDodger
Ok, so since both McMark and Harvey Weidman noticed I was using old pictures, I pulled the top off of her and drove her all day. In the evening, when the shadows were getting long, I remembered, I needed to take some pictures.

Here is a little Rock Park on the Truckee River fun...
jeff
You have a nice stable ,both the 914 and Z look great They both sound very different but also wonderful.....I was on a track with an early 911 ,I pushed myself to stay with him just so I could hear that 6 scream...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jeff @ Jun 1 2015, 04:20 PM) *

You have a nice stable ,both the 914 and Z look great They both sound very different but also wonderful.....I was on a track with an early 911 ,I pushed myself to stay with him just so I could hear that 6 scream...

I love that sound Jeff. I love that with the stock DME I can reach in, turn the key, start right up, idle like a champ, then get in and have her take off like she was shot from a cannon. That, is a rush! driving.gif
ConeDodger
Decided to do something good for the spirit tonight. Took a drive...

That mountain sunset was beautiful. smile.gif
brant
Nice pic!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.