Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
Steve
I'm running the PMS Setrab GT Oil cooler special and I have problems getting the car to 190 and I am running a Mocal thermostat. However if your stuck in traffic in the summer it will overheat without fans to pull the air through.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 21 2013, 07:39 AM) *
Interesting thing about the flipped picture thing Andy. On all my Apple machines, it is right side up. It was taken with an iPhone 5. On anything PC in my house, it is upside down. Apple saying Fuch you to the PC world? WTF.gif

Newer JPEG formats have rotation and orientation information stored in the header meta data that allows applications to automatically rotate images correctly.

It's been on my long list of things to do, to add support for this to the site ...
type.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 21 2013, 04:51 PM) *

I'm running the PMS Setrab GT Oil cooler special and I have problems getting the car to 190 and I am running a Mocal thermostat. However if your stuck in traffic in the summer it will overheat without fans to pull the air through.

Traffic in Reno is when you can see the taillights of another car on the freeway... Shouldn't be a problem for me. biggrin.gif
Trekkor
Here's the muffler:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It's a modified, two-in two-out 911 unit.
I believe the internal have been changed to improve exhaust exit flow.

KT
ConeDodger
Not sure I like the long pipes. But I suppose that can be modified too. Like I said, run it by Mark. He will be back in the shop next Tuesday... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Picture stolen from Martin Schneider... What I think my headers will look like!
Trekkor
I have those same headers, just not coated.

KT
McMark
Probably flows pretty good, but might be too loud... confused24.gif
TravisNeff
A little clean up, shorten the pipes and hit it with cold galvanizing compound and that muffler will be badass!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Aug 23 2013, 06:34 AM) *

A little clean up, shorten the pipes and hit it with cold galvanizing compound and that muffler will be badass!

On my car, it would have to be ceramic coated. Plus, I want to keep the rear valance. It looks like those pipes are high up. Mark needs to look at it...
ConeDodger
Found a NOS 914-6 Dansk for sale. It's on its way to McMark.

Tripping back to McMark's on Thursday and Friday to put the top end of the 3.2 back together IF the Getty Design fiberglass 'tin' is there...
Eric_Shea
yawn.gif

HURRY UP YOU TWO!!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 27 2013, 07:33 PM) *

yawn.gif

HURRY UP YOU TWO!!!

I know!! I'm getting excited! smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 27 2013, 07:33 PM) *

yawn.gif

HURRY UP YOU TWO!!!

Hey wait! You're bored? blink.gif We're taking too long? dry.gif

JStroud
Was at McMarks shop Monday....said your car hasn't been touched for awhile.....so I touched it. lol-2.gif

Now that Marks back and the parts are rolling in, won't be long now. driving.gif

Looking good Rob.

Jeff
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 27 2013, 04:32 PM) *

Why? AFAIK, the only difference between the 914-6 muffler and the 911 muffler is the position of the tailpipe. The 914-6 one fits the original "porthole" 914-6 rear valance, while the 911 muffler fits the early 914-4 "porthole" valence, and also the later short valance.

Why bother with an NOS 914-6 muffler, then?

--DD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 28 2013, 06:13 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 27 2013, 04:32 PM) *

Why? AFAIK, the only difference between the 914-6 muffler and the 911 muffler is the position of the tailpipe. The 914-6 one fits the original "porthole" 914-6 rear valance, while the 911 muffler fits the early 914-4 "porthole" valence, and also the later short valance.

Why bother with an NOS 914-6 muffler, then?

--DD

Because I have a 914-6 rear valence on the car. I actually would have considered either and in fact did a price comparison on Pelican. I was all set to buy a 911 muffler new from Pelican when this one kind of fell out of space. I got it cheaper than any of the new 911 options and those 911 guys seem to think that anything that gets bolted to their cars is made of gold... One guy was selling a used dented 911 muffler for more than Pelican sells it for new. Same model.
ConeDodger
Ok, heard from Martin S. tonight. Wants to know if it is ok to ship. Yes! McMark is back so ship away! One last piece of the puzzle left. Just need the 'tin' from Getty... piratenanner.gif
ConeDodger
Went down to the OC today. Work was in progress on a couple of tasty projects. An engine/transaxle was on its way out. For what I never asked. A 2002 was getting a new headliner... And I was there to make my clean 3.2 engine look, well.... More like an engine!

Made a good deal of progress. The 'tin' that can go on, is on. Some can't because the on engine oil cooler has to be modified. The intake is on. The breather has a new gasket. I put one of the headers on. Can't put both because the engine can't be spun on the stand with both... blink.gif

Looks more like an engine now. biggrin.gif Oh, and yes, that is the oil tank in the background...
Cairo94507
Sweeeet!
ConeDodger
Gotta go back soon. So much to do. I have to cut out the 4 mount. I have to mount and plumb the brake thingy that Eric Shea found out 'some idiot' (not me) had replaced with a T fitting. Finish putting the engine together.

I got a close up look at the McMount. This helps make it less conceptual. Mark has the paper mock up pretty much exactly like the original six mount but he was able to show me what he will do with what was the rubber mount. (I am pretty sure SoCalAndy has the last new one on earth that he got from Ralph Meany). Mark will bring the top of the mount in a bit so it can use a 911 Sport Mount. I'm a visual learner so this locked it in conceptually and made the decision very solid. I'm using what will probably be the first McMount. Get in line suckas!!!

I don't think I'll be able to get the PMB GT Oil lines, so the plan is all AN braided hose all the way up front. I suspect it is half a dozen of one and twelve of the other since they are both kind of expensive.

McMark is going leprechaun hunting next week so I have time to work... av-943.gif
J P Stein
The AN line itself is bout 12-13 bucks per foot......but the fittings are Gods own dear. Summit Racing or Jegs.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 6 2013, 04:03 AM) *

The AN line itself is bout 12-13 bucks per foot......but the fittings are Gods own dear. Summit Racing or Jegs.

I can get all the fittings Mark wants... Summit is 2 miles from work. I'll have to watch for it, but they send me % off coupons all the time. I bet though at 20% off they're still pretty steep...
ConeDodger
Oh! And LoJack will be installed today... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Time to make some progress. If you have followed along, you know that we are putting an 87 3.2 Carrera motor into my 914. Today, we put in the oil tank.

We are using the Patrick Motorsport oil tank. There are alternatives. But I wanted a tank in the stock location, and the OEM tank though available new, is expensive. The DW Design tank is NLA. I would have loved to use it.

ConeDodger
The first step in putting in an oil tank is some preliminary work. The relay board and 'hair dryer' fan are in the way. Unscrew the relay board and set it aside. Remove the 'hair dryer' fan and sell it or give it away. McMark has a template file for the holes that have to be made on his computer. George at AA sells a book on conversions and it includes the template. The AA book has gotten a little dated, and though I have it, I chose to use McMark's templates. Here you see the little circles taped in place and then, using the circles as a guide, I traced a Sharpie circle around them...
ConeDodger
Hole saws are available, but McMark feels that you get a better result by drilling holes inside the diameter of the Sharpie outline. Once holes are drilled around the perimeter, you use a Sawzall to connect-the-dots and make a hole. Finally, a die grinder cleans it all up. Don't forget to squirt a little primer to keep the dreaded 914 'standard-equipment' rust at bay!

SirAndy! I found your camera!!! lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
Once you've drilled the mounting bolt holes and hogged out the four tank holes, it's time to put in place. We chose to do a temporary install for now. We chose to seal off the holes with painters tape and protect the beautiful surfaces from being marred. The tape will come off when the tank goes in permanently.
Eric_Shea
I can't believe how long it's taking you guys to build this car! biggrin.gif

hide.gif
ConeDodger
To finish off the evening, we adjusted the valves. They were for the most part, right where they belonged but with the engine out and on a stand, it's best to do it now.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be re-doing the sail fin vinyl. This process is well documented by Mr. Shea in the Lapuwalli Classic Section to I will just shoot a pic of the end result.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 7 2013, 08:56 PM) *

I can't believe how long it's taking you guys to build this car! biggrin.gif

hide.gif

Shut up Eric!!! WTF.gif av-943.gif

I live 170 miles away from the OC these days so it isn't as easy as when I drove down to build engines... huh.gif
Eric_Shea
Where's the Australian engine picture? biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 7 2013, 09:00 PM) *

Get real close to the screen and look down. It fell to the bottom of the post right after I posted it! happy11.gif
ConeDodger
Time to get up, shower, and go to the OC for another day of 6 conversion fun! boldblue.gif clap56.gif mueba.gif

Oh, remind me to pick McMark up on the way sunglasses.gif
rhodyguy
rob, pick up mark on the way there. next reminder...
JStroud
Lots of work getting done now. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif

Have fun today

Jeff
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 7 2013, 11:10 PM) *

Get real close to the screen and look down. It fell to the bottom of the post right after I posted it! happy11.gif

Gravity.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 8 2013, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 7 2013, 11:10 PM) *

Gravity.

Here you go... I took this one special just for you today. An Australian 911 motor! blink.gif
ConeDodger
As promised, I put new sail fin vinyl on today. I have nothing significant to add to Eric Shea's excellent write up in the Lapuwalli Classic Threads so I will just show you the results...
JStroud
Looking good Rob! beerchug.gif

Jeff
ConeDodger
Thanks Jeff! Once the engine is in, I have a new backpad and Mark Whitesell says the roll bar pad is on the horizon so it will be pretty much a new 914??? driving.gif drooley.gif
r_towle
Mark is charging you extra for "helping", right?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 8 2013, 08:52 PM) *

Mark is charging you extra for "helping", right?

Yes... Are you volunteering to pay the extra? smile.gif
Eric_Shea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn-dD-QKYN4
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 9 2013, 10:14 AM) *

dry.gif
McMark
Combo gauge!
ConeDodger
Nice work John! That'll do nicely! drooley.gif

Thx for the pic Mark! biggrin.gif
McMark
Welded the on-body portion of the engine mount. welder.gif
jeff
This car is coming out cool, I love the color and how rear wheel/ flares are tucked in so nice...it's getting me motivated to keep plugging away at my 3.2 conversion..! Thanks for the pics.
rick 918-S
Nice! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.