Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
ConeDodger
TBlizz, that's next! w00t.gif
ConeDodger
Hmmm... What could this be? Got a box from Mr. Bowlsby. Any guesses?
jcd914
Fog light harness? smile.gif

ConeDodger
I guessed a wiring harness and I was right! In case you don't know, and some of you newer guys might not, Jeff Bowlsby, one of our very long time members makes a dozen or so wiring harnesses. This one is for the European option rear fog light. The nice thing about Bowlsby harnesses though is that they cure a multitude of 40 year old problems with fuel injection. I borrowed an engine for a year or so from JCD914. It is an engine that was built by Dwight Mitchell. Dwight was THE guy to go to for engines and other P-Car prep in the Sacramento and NorCal area back in the day. JCD914 used to work for him as a P-Tech. Anyway, I had a little trouble with the EFI, which was DJet and I had Jeff whip me up a harness for Jim's motor. It cleaned some things right up! Before you go to Carbs, Give Jeff a PM. You might be able to keep your EFI, which is very beneficial.

So here is what that harness looks like! evilgrin.gif Thanks Jeff!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 17 2016, 06:33 PM) *

Hey! I was just talking about you! Winner Winner! How do you want your chicken? beerchug.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 17 2016, 03:39 PM) *

Hey! I was just talking about you! Winner Winner! How do you want your chicken? beerchug.gif

I was just looking at that Bowlsby FI Harness on the engine today!

I had forgotten you had that done but it was obvious the harness was not original.
Not because it looked aftermarket but because it was too clean, too flexible, the boots weren't cracked or split and nothing had been patched or repaired!

Jeff does a great job on his harnesses !!

Thanks
Jim
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 17 2016, 09:34 PM) *

I had forgotten you had that done but it was obvious the harness was not original.
Not because it looked aftermarket but because it was too clean, too flexible, the boots weren't cracked or split and nothing had been patched or repaired!

Thanks
Jim

Jim, I think IIRC, I had him do the grey sheath like the original? How's your blue car coming?
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 17 2016, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 17 2016, 09:34 PM) *

Thanks
Jim

Jim, I think IIRC, I had him do the grey sheath like the original? How's your blue car coming?

Yes it has teh gray sheathing like OE.

The blue car has made some progress but there always seems to be something coming up and interfering.

2 weeks ago Mary and I went down to Long Beach to stay with our grand daughter while her parents spent 4 days in Redwood city finding an apartment to move to. And last weekend I spent the weekend helping them move to Redwood City. Matt just took a job at Electronic Arts at their head quarters in Redwood City.

This weekend was a dump run with construction scrap and a concrete slab I broke up a couple months ago and I had to fix a water leak at the main water shut-off to the house.

I'm trying to get it drive-able for WCR.

Jim

ConeDodger
Drivable by WCR! blink.gif

Who are you and what have you done with Jim? sad.gif I've known Jim for about ten years and he's never had a running 914 in that time! So I'm calling BS! bs.gif WHERE IS THE REAL JIM?? lol-2.gif av-943.gif
jcd914
Well, I only said I was trying and honestly I don't think I am going to succeed.

And I did have a running 914 for a few weeks back in 2008.

I bought 3 914's (and a whole bunch of parts) from a guy in Grass Valley.
One of them was a driver when the trans broke and that was the last straw for the guy.
He sold the whole lot, all or nothing.
I guess I was the only one that take the whole lot, cars and boxes and bins of parts.

I installed the trans from 1 of the other 2 cars and made a runner out of it.
Sold the car a few weeks latter for most of what I paid for all 3.

Jim
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 22 2016, 12:32 AM) *

Well, I only said I was trying and honestly I don't think I am going to succeed.

One of them was a driver when the trans broke and that was the last straw for the guy.
I guess I was the only one that take the whole lot, cars and boxes and bins of parts.

Jim

I forgot about that. We were practically neighbors and I never saw it! blink.gif

Well, good luck this time!
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 22 2016, 01:34 AM) *

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 22 2016, 12:32 AM) *

Jim

I forgot about that. We were practically neighbors and I never saw it! blink.gif

Well, good luck this time!

I didn't have it long, I sold it to a local friend so it was around Sacramento for a little while.
One day Mary told me about a 914 she saw on her way home from work and describe the car, not too many 914s around and she wanted me to know about another one. I pointed out that she just described the car I had recently sold to our friend Andy and she should have waved to him.

He latter sold it to someone in Fresno or Bakersfield.

I will get this one running, just maybe not for WCR.

This weekend I get to do a full brake job on my truck because next weekend I head to Laguna Seca with my 5th wheel for the races.

Jim

ConeDodger
So if you recall a while back, I ordered and installed Spoke's amazing LED turns and tails. But when I did, I realized I have Euro converted turn signal buckets!
Well that doesn't work! So I found some replacements in our classifieds here, but they weren't 'perfect' so I sent them off to McMark at Original Customs for some McMagic.

Yesterday, I got a text from McMark saying he waited until the last possible second to send them so they would arrive 10 minutes before WCR and add to my stress level!
I really appreciate McMark taking the time to restore these as he is sooo freakin' busy right now...

Because they will be sporting LED panels, they don't require the spray-chrome finish for reflectivity...

I dig it! Nice job Mark! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
And installed... biggrin.gif
Harvey Weidman
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 17 2016, 02:04 PM) *

Looks almost alien. Are you sure those aren't some sort of laser?
H
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Harvey Weidman @ May 18 2016, 10:50 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 17 2016, 02:04 PM) *

Looks almost alien. Are you sure those aren't some sort of laser?
H

Shhh! Harvey! Don't tell! evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
It's been a busy week for working on the car. Resprayed the trunk. (still masked so not ready for pictures). But this is a project I've planned for some time. I wanted to replace the horn 'butterfly' with the hockey puck horn button from the 914-6GT, 911, and 912.
My 'butterfly' horn is not your average here in the US. It's the Euro/Canadian one. Found it on EBay about 10 years ago and bought it. Never really thought about it until someone on Facebook was looking for one and I remembered it. He is restoring what is apparently, the Canadian Grand Prix Pace Car from 1973. He was thinking he would have to find one in Europe when I popped up and said I have one and I work in the Bay Area. He seems very excited!

So I am replacing this:
ConeDodger
So the next step is to order the three pieces needed to 'make' the hockey puck style. You can order the whole assembly from AA but I suspect some portion of it is made of gold because the price is, well... blink.gif I ordered the base from 914Rubber on Thursday at 2:38 in the afternoon and it arrived today. WOW! That's service. Less than 48 hours!

The other two pieces are available on EBay and I got a notice that they have shipped today, so that assembly will take place next week.

The 914Rubber base requires the use of the existing hardware from the original horn so you remove that and attach it to the hockey puck base. Mark used SAE brass threaded inserts in the plastic and I found that they use #8 32X1/2 panhead machine screws. Others have used the original metric screws and this will work as brass is very soft and the original hardware will just cut thread to its own size. I had the hardware so I used it...

Here it is with the hardware attached:
ConeDodger
Here is the car my 'butterfly' style Euro/Canadian one is going on. I think that's pretty cool! It's the '73 Pace Car for the F1 Canadian Grand Prix. It will be displayed at Werks Reunion this year. This car belongs to 914world member Wyvern...
ConeDodger
Here is the finished horn button. Very nice reproduction. All of this in pieces from two different vendors was less than what a certain vendor in Atlanta charges for his reproduction. I'm very happy with the result!
ConeDodger
Now on to another small project. Spoke has gotten around to making the LED version of our reverse lights. This is a very solid feeling piece! Each light has 30 LED lights. I suspect these will be VERY bright! Thank you so much for doing these Jerry!
r_towle
Just curious, and mainly because I am going blind n my old age...

Is it technically legal to replace the stock forward facing lights with super bright LED lights?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 14 2016, 02:58 PM) *

Just curious, and mainly because I am going blind n my old age...

Is it technically legal to replace the stock forward facing lights with super bright LED lights?

I suspect not Rich but the only forward facing lights I am replacing are the turn signal / running lights. They are not any brighter than any stock modern car like my Tundra.

Jerry has a disclaimer of sorts on the lights.

"May not comply with SAE or DOT standards."
ConeDodger
As promised, the masking now off (and filling up my garbage container blink.gif ) Here is the resprayed rear trunk...
ConeDodger
Then I added a little something from 914Rubber.Com so I can represent!

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Very well made and only a couple left so get 'em while they're hot!
ConeDodger
I suppose I could have closed the garage door and gotten a better picture of this without all the backlight from the sun but I'll do that later...
Cairo94507
Beautiful smilie_pokal.gif
ConeDodger
Next I installed the reverse LED circuit boards in the tail lights. I have to say, this is a very - very good design. Install couldn't have been easier. Great job Spoke!!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 14 2016, 07:02 PM) *

Beautiful smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks! I'm getting close. I also got new carpet and interior vinyl to replace the "plush" carpet that I got from Morph. Nothing wrong with it, and it is still essentially new, I just want a more original look. This carpet is the German Perlon which 914Rubber describes as closest to original. That is what I want...
JmuRiz
Nice details, it's really coming together!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jun 15 2016, 09:09 AM) *

Nice details, it's really coming together!

Thanks... The details are fun because they're smaller projects. I can get several of them accomplished in one day. Carpet today I think!
ConeDodger
A little better picture of the hockey puck horn button...
2mAn
how do the LED taillights look with the covers on, at night, etc?

oh and that hockey puck looks like an awesome upgrade. roughly how much did it all cost through our vendors?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(2mAn @ Jun 17 2016, 03:09 PM) *

how do the LED taillights look with the covers on, at night, etc?

oh and that hockey puck looks like an awesome upgrade. roughly how much did it all cost through our vendors?

The hockey puck consists of three different parts from two different vendors.

The horn base is from 914rubber.com and it runs $40.00

The embossed leather Porsche emblem center is on EBay and it runs $55.00

The trim ring is available from the same vendor on EBay and it runs $144.50

Total for all three parts is $239.50

AA sells it complete at over $400 and another vendor on EBay sells it for $413.45

Some guy is selling an original used hockey puck for $800 while another is selling his for $285 or so...
914forme
Looks very good, almost makes me reconsider installing a stockish steering wheel.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 17 2016, 07:51 PM) *

Looks very good, almost makes me reconsider installing a stockish steering wheel.

That is the stock '75 steering wheel "fat wrapped" by AGLA in Florida. I wouldn't use them again but the result is very good. They just took a year + and cost an arm-and-a-leg...

I have a vintage MOMO but I always seem to gravitate back to this one.
76-914
Looking nice Rob. And no more reconsidering ANYTHING Stephen. Just hurry up and finish your ride. lol-2.gif
jim_hoyland
Nice touch Rob ; Seeing your car up close at the WCR in Oregon showed a lot of custom touches

smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 17 2016, 09:42 PM) *

Nice touch Rob ; Seeing your car up close at the WCR in Oregon showed a lot of custom touches

smile.gif

Thanks Jim,
Between my ideas that withstood McMarks demeaning looks and McMarks own ideas, there's some pretty cool tech in there. I think I've forgotten at least half of it. Good thing it's chronicalled here...
Mueller
Nice steering wheel, a!ways liked the simple hockey puck design.
Steve
Nice car!! You should come down to our car show tomorrow. It's probably only a 10 hour drive. smile.gif
If you leave now you might make it.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 17 2016, 10:47 PM) *

Nice steering wheel, a!ways liked the simple hockey puck design.

Thanks Mike,
The car even has a couple of your tricks. The four lug stock suspension has an aluminum 5 lug 'hat' on the rotor. The rubber steering coupler has been replaced with a solid aluminum one as well. I believe both were CAD drawings of yours right?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 17 2016, 11:01 PM) *

Nice car!! You should come down to our car show tomorrow. It's probably only a 10 hour drive. smile.gif

I wanted to Steve. I'm about half way through a carpet change. So, not ready for prime time right now... smile.gif
Steve
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 17 2016, 08:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 17 2016, 11:01 PM) *

I wanted to Steve. I'm about half way through a carpet change. So, not ready for prime time right now... smile.gif

Mine will be display only. It needs a paint job, some body work, welding, etc. but I'm having to much fun driving it.
Maybe next time.. Hopefully next year I will make it to the WCR wherever it's at and meet the other half of the west coast.
ConeDodger
So as you can see in the picture a few posts above, I had replaced the original carpet with some "plush" black carpet that Paul Sayegh had used in his car. I loved it in his car, he hated it. As I got to live with it over the last 4-5 years, I have come to see Paul's point-of-view. Soooo... out comes the "plush" black carpet and in goes one of 914Rubber.Com's carpet kit. In this case, I used the imported German carpet that Mark makes. The difference in quality is astounding. This stuff fits. I took my time and used contact adhesive in some places and 2" Velcro in others. The result is dramatic! Kudos to 914Rubber.Com once again!

This particular carpet doesn't come with a matching rear or front trunk carpet but I called Mark and he was in San Jose getting ready to fly out and he tells me he will have a rear trunk carpet made for me and send me enough scrap so I can reupholster my sub-box in the same carpet.

Now, I have some decisions to make. I'm either going to reupholster the original seats, or get some GTS LeMans seats. Then, I have to build a center console that covers the DME ECU and then a cover for that as well...

It's never done is it?
r_towle
New seats....car deserves them
McMark
Looks great! Nice job. thumb3d.gif

Stock seats in early, non-patterned 'leatherette'. wink.gif Use the same material to make a shifter boot that goes to the carpet. Black screws for the subwoofer as well. Oh and swap out the center console version of the heater lever.

Yup, never done. But thats the fun. jester.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 18 2016, 07:19 PM) *

So as you can see in the picture a few posts above, I had replaced the original carpet with some "plush" black carpet that Paul Sayegh had used in his car. I loved it in his car, he hated it. As I got to live with it over the last 4-5 years, I have come to see Paul's point-of-view. Soooo... out comes the "plush" black carpet and in goes one of 914Rubber.Com's carpet kit. In this case, I used the imported German carpet that Mark makes. The difference in quality is astounding. This stuff fits. I took my time and used contact adhesive in some places and 2" Velcro in others. The result is dramatic! Kudos to 914Rubber.Com once again!

This particular carpet doesn't come with a matching rear or front trunk carpet but I called Mark and he was in San Jose getting ready to fly out and he tells me he will have a rear trunk carpet made for me and send me enough scrap so I can reupholster my sub-box in the same carpet.

Now, I have some decisions to make. I'm either going to reupholster the original seats, or get some GTS LeMans seats. Then, I have to build a center console that covers the DME ECU and then a cover for that as well...

It's never done is it?

What's up whith the four redline?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 19 2016, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 18 2016, 07:19 PM) *

It's never done is it?

What's up whith the four redline?

I have a Carrera tach that has been converted to silver dot as well as a speedo. Thx for reminding me! evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 19 2016, 08:31 AM) *

Looks great! Nice job. thumb3d.gif

Stock seats in early, non-patterned 'leatherette'. wink.gif Use the same material to make a shifter boot that goes to the carpet. Black screws for the subwoofer as well. Oh and swap out the center console version of the heater lever.

Yup, never done. But thats the fun. jester.gif

Mark's been stink-eyeing those bright finish screws since we put that sub in! Check and see if you have a proper non-console heater lever in your stash!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.