Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
ConeDodger
Just completed the final run of the day. Much closer! I should mention that as you get closer to WOT, you don't want to be in the 13:1 range. There I am backing off to 12:1 or lower even. Just safer... 7000RPM is the redline in this beast and it is a little spooky watching that needle go past the stock redline if you know what I mean but she keeps pulling and doesn't seem to mind a bit.

500th post for this thread! Still having fun! cheer.gif
wndsrfr
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 29 2012, 05:02 PM) *

Just completed the final run of the day. Much closer! I should mention that as you get closer to WOT, you don't want to be in the 13:1 range. There I am backing off to 12:1 or lower even. Just safer... 7000RPM is the redline in this beast and it is a little spooky watching that needle go past the stock redline if you know what I mean but she keeps pulling and doesn't seem to mind a bit.

So here's post #501...I found it very informative to do the "Brake dyno" step that they mention in the SDS instruction book. Be sure that CL is "off", get into the gas at a midpoint, say 4000rpm in 4th and hold it at 4000 with your left foot on the brake while increasing the throttle to WOT, keeping an eye on the wideband AFR. Takes a clear highway and a bit of practice, but it becomes easy pretty quickly. Your AFR's under full WOT and full load are the most important in my estimation. Letting it wind up through the rpm's and looking at the log isn't as accurate since it moves so quickly through each 250rpm step. The brake dyno step gives the best final check at say, 4000, 4500, 5000 (careful of the speed limit!) and you can interpolate from there. I got better information from that step than I did from dyno runs....
Enjoy!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Sep 29 2012, 05:15 PM) *

So here's post #501...I found it very informative to do the "Brake dyno" step that they mention in the SDS instruction book. Be sure that CL is "off", get into the gas at a midpoint, say 4000rpm in 4th and hold it at 4000 with your left foot on the brake while increasing the throttle to WOT, keeping an eye on the wideband AFR. Takes a clear highway and a bit of practice, but it becomes easy pretty quickly. Your AFR's under full WOT and full load are the most important in my estimation. Letting it wind up through the rpm's and looking at the log isn't as accurate since it moves so quickly through each 250rpm step. The brake dyno step gives the best final check at say, 4000, 4500, 5000 (careful of the speed limit!) and you can interpolate from there. I got better information from that step than I did from dyno runs....
Enjoy!

I hadn't gotten to that section yet. I wonder what my good friend Eric_Shea would think of me torturing his Brembo brakes with that? smile.gif
Now when you say 'look' do you mean the gauge or the recorded values when I get back to home-base?
wndsrfr
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 29 2012, 05:19 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Sep 29 2012, 05:15 PM) *

Enjoy!

I hadn't gotten to that section yet. I wonder what my good friend Eric_Shea would think of me torturing his Brembo brakes with that? smile.gif

Now when you say 'look' do you mean the gauge or the recorded value......
Literally look at the AFR readout....you can hold the WOT at a steady rpm for about four seconds, which seems like forever but gives a solid steady reading. Eric will love this as a through bedding process. Take someone along to watch the AFRs & record while you scan for state troopers...
ConeDodger
I can probably get Rand to do the NHP watch... evilgrin.gif
wndsrfr
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 29 2012, 06:50 PM) *

In Nevada? You have speed limits? Why? Oh, yeah....just for the revenue shortfall, I guess.

Anyway--got out the camera today and did a couple of amateur shots of the process....get to 4000, left foot on brake & go WOT to see the AFR's. Finally got it to upload to Youtube, so here goes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4jyPRQaVNw

Another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNUNWDupcWk

Pretty rich on these runs.....high 11's to low 12's....sorry it's so shaky--too much power...get pushed out of shape....hard to steer.....unhhhhh
jersey914
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Sep 30 2012, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 29 2012, 06:50 PM) *

In Nevada? You have speed limits? Why? Oh, yeah....just for the revenue shortfall, I guess.

Anyway--got out the camera today and did a couple of amateur shots of the process....get to 4000, left foot on brake & go WOT to see the AFR's. Finally got it to upload to Youtube, so here goes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4jyPRQaVNw

Another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNUNWDupcWk

Pretty rich on these runs.....high 11's to low 12's....sorry it's so shaky--too much power...get pushed out of shape....hard to steer.....unhhhhh

driving-girl.gif
Eric_Shea
Punish those brakes... let's see what they can do. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 30 2012, 06:23 PM) *

Punish those brakes... let's see what they can do. biggrin.gif

I did! evilgrin.gif I had a little help actually, Mount Rose Hwy is just down the street from my house. It is this little 20 mile stretch that goes to a lake you might have heard of, it's called Lake Tahoe. So I went up hill and had my foot on the brake at the same time. The brakes flat out don't care what I do to them and I can't wait for Eric and PMB to finish the matching aluminum rears! I found I was rich kind of like John's video actually and dialed things back a bit.
dale73914
Hi,

Awesome thread, i have been enjoying reading this one.

Your car is fantastic.

I have a question for you.

The harness bar in your car.
How does it mount , and do you still run( or would it allow ) standard seats.

My seatbelts are a bit sloppy on retracting fully, and i am thinking of replacing them with harnesses, but want to retain the standard seats and backpad.

Just wondering if what you are using allows this.

Cheers

Dale
ConeDodger
Dale,
I've had that harness bar in there for years. I actually had to look at it to get the answers to your questions. My car is a '75 so it is at the end of the 914 evolution. I say that because your car may vary from my answer. The harness bar which was sold by Weltmiester mounts through the bolt holes for the shoulder strap for the stock seat belts. I also put the stock seat belt shoulder strap tab under the bolt on the passenger side. It does indeed allow the use of stock seats as mine are.
They pop up from time-to-time in the classifieds for around $75. New, about $130. I think someone else is making them? Rennenmetal?

I plan to pull mine out and have it powdercoated to fancy it up a bit. The rest of the interior has fancied up around it and now it stands out. In a bad way! dry.gif
ConeDodger
40 some degrees in Reno today. Did a warm-the-fluids run with the top off. Saw the gal with the CaymanS again. She waved and followed me into a shopping center parking lot. She will be joining the local PCA. biggrin.gif

Then home, a good waterless wash and back under the cover till next week!
McMark
driving.gif is good.
ConeDodger
McMark got a great compliment yesterday and you guys thinking of doing flares should take notice...

One of the local advertisers in the PCA newsletter and a member of SNR PCA is a guy named Gilbert Dayao. He is one of my wife's clients - she provides the voluntary benefits for his body shop Gilson Autobody with 3 locations in Northern Nevada. This last winter at a board meeting, Gilbert offered to have Kim Messer his manager give me an estimate for painting my flares or repainting the whole car and doing some vinyl work on my 240Z. He said to send pictures and Kim would give me an estimate.
I sent pictures and Kim didn't get back to me so I called and he said for me to drop on down. Well, winter in Reno is a grab bag of stuff and when I was off, it wasn't the stuff I drive in. So finally, yesterday, I fired up the 914 and drove her down to the Reno location of Gilson. Kim came out and walked around it for what seemed like forever and finally said "Wow! I'm glad I didn't quote this based on the pictures you sent. I'd have been way too high. These were really well installed..." He said that the car was nice enough that he would just do the final bodywork on the flares, touch up a couple dings along the side and paint the sides blending in the rest.

Nice work Marky! I'm telling you guys, go to Original Customs and have yours done!
Rand
ConeDodger
Been driving the snot out of it today!!! Runnin' gooood!
Elliot Cannon
You might have posted this in an earlier post, (I'm just too lazy to search) but what is the size of the wheels you're using? I'm guessing 16's? How wide are they and what tire sizes are you using?
Cheers, Elliot
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 16 2013, 05:41 PM) *

You might have posted this in an earlier post, (I'm just too lazy to search) but what is the size of the wheels you're using? I'm guessing 16's? How wide are they and what tire sizes are you using?
Cheers, Elliot

16X8.5 in the rear 16X7 in the front... I'll check tire sizes later but I do think Mark mentioned earlier.

I'll do a scan and see if I can find it for you because I know how old and decrepit you are... evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 19 2012, 05:23 PM) *

Rears are 225-60-16, IIRC. I might have the aspect ratio wrong.

The front could probably use a 1/2" spacer. I have two 5mm spacers at the shop we can play with on Sat. If you want.

For Elyut...
ConeDodger
Front is 205 45 16...
ConeDodger
And now to replace this pesky rear lid button with this sexy crest! biggrin.gif
bulitt
Painting the flares soon?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 19 2013, 08:08 AM) *

Painting the flares soon?

Just got the first estimate yesterday. 8 hours per corner to blend the flare (bodywork), $2000 for that, $1500 to paint both sides blending into the hoods.

Got to run it by Altissimo which is McMark's friend and quite the street rod artist.
ConeDodger
Strippers!!

Now I have your attention!

Spent an hour or two in the garage today taking off the trim, bumpers, etc...

Going to the body shop for paint on Monday!
ConeDodger
Finally made it to the body shop today. Drew a crowd from the shop as soon as I pulled in... Eric Shea will be glad to know that I found out the alloy front brakes I got from him are actually "chromed." I didn't correct the guy...

Well, obviously I took it to an upside down body shop... Mark!!! Help! biggrin.gif
Jmedeiros
I'm standing on my head right now looking at the last shots! LOL!! I hope to visit Original Customs soon! Love the flares!! Looking great!!!!!
McMark
*ping*
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 24 2013, 04:54 PM) *

*ping*

biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Hurry up and squirt it. dry.gif
ConeDodger
E, they said a week....

So, I figure third week of May. blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 24 2013, 05:56 PM) *

E, they said a week....

So, I figure third week of May. blink.gif

Well ok, maybe not. I dropped in today to see Gilbert, the owner to make sure that they take lots of pictures as they go... It was already in body work! Yeeha! aktion035.gif
horizontally-opposed
The car is righteous looking in silver with those flares and those wheels. wub.gif

I'd have a very tough time choosing between your current bumper setup (very nice!) and all-black GT bumpers with GT driving lights up front to go with those gorgeous wheels. WOW! (And yes, you need to space the fronts, but that's easy peasy.)

Congrats!!

pete
ConeDodger
Thanks Pete. I'm very excited to get the project to this stage. Big thanks to Mark Whitesell for coming over to my house to help me strip it down for paint during his lay-over here in Reno last week. Oh, and lunch was good too!

Love what you're doing with Panorama Pete. aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
blink.gif Today is day 10 of patiently waiting. I'm dying to stop by and take a look but I'm forcing myself to be patient... sad.gif
Rand
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 4 2013, 04:42 PM) *

blink.gif Today is day 10 of patiently waiting. I'm dying to stop by and take a look but I'm forcing myself to be patient... sad.gif

Let me know when you break down and can't take it any more, and need to go see her. I'll ride along for moral support. smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Rand @ May 4 2013, 04:29 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 4 2013, 04:42 PM) *

Let me know when you break down and can't take it any more, and need to go see her. I'll ride along for moral support. smile.gif

biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Patience grasshopper..... happy11.gif You can rush silver, ever. stirthepot.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 4 2013, 04:31 PM) *

Patience grasshopper..... happy11.gif You can rush silver, ever. stirthepot.gif

I know. sad.gif I have everything I need to paint right in my garage but while I might take a crack at the 240Z (single stage white), I don't think I want to try and match/blend Diamond Silver Metallic. blink.gif
Eric_Shea
See post #529 dry.gif

poke.gif
Eric_Shea
Alzo... can't we change the plates to STONE DGR? confused24.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 4 2013, 04:40 PM) *

Alzo... can't we change the plates to STONE DGR? confused24.gif

I think enough time has passed so that is fuchin' funny!!! lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Mike Bellis
Technically, I would be the Stone Dodger since I was directly in front of your car on that windy mountain road. Jim (driving Rob's car) unfortunately is not a Stone Dodger... sad.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 4 2013, 10:31 PM) *

Technically, I would be the Stone Dodger since I was directly in front of your car on that windy mountain road. Jim (driving Rob's car) unfortunately is not a Stone Dodger... sad.gif

StoneHopper??? blink.gif
ConeDodger
An update: The bodywork is done. One fender has a guide coat on it and has to be finish sanded but it will go into the paint booth this afternoon, then some time in the Easy Bake Oven then everything will get polished and I pick it up tomorrow afternoon... Oh, and it looks FINE!!!

cheer.gif drooley.gif piratenanner.gif biggrin.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 5 2013, 07:22 AM) *

StoneHopper??? blink.gif

Apparently "StoneHopper" doesn't fit since I didn't hop too well sad.gif

There was a time that "StonedHopper" might have fit? smoke.gif

So how you getting your car to WCR? Need a driver? happy11.gif

Jim

ConeDodger
QUOTE(jcd914 @ May 9 2013, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 5 2013, 07:22 AM) *

StoneHopper??? blink.gif

Apparently "StoneHopper" doesn't fit since I didn't hop too well sad.gif

There was a time that "StonedHopper" might have fit? smoke.gif

So how you getting your car to WCR? Need a driver? happy11.gif

Jim

Sorry Jim,
I'm not going. I registered to support the event but my Mother-in-law died a week ago and they are holding up the funeral until we can get there. Which in my case is May 31 through June 17th. Yopu may go any time now. Plus, Yopu's oldest is getting married the 12th of June and we have a grandchild we have only met on Skype so... No WCR for me this year.

I think we need to bring it back to Tahoe soon... rolleyes.gif
Rob
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 9 2013, 02:46 PM) *

Sorry Jim,
I'm not going. I registered to support the event but my Mother-in-law died a week ago and they are holding up the funeral until we can get there. Which in my case is May 31 through June 17th. Yopu may go any time now. Plus, Yopu's oldest is getting married the 12th of June and we have a grandchild we have only met on Skype so... No WCR for me this year.

I think we need to bring it back to Tahoe soon... rolleyes.gif
Rob

I'm sorry about your Mother-in-law, my prayers will be with you and your family.

We'll miss you at WCR.
Ya, I think Tahoe again would be great.

Jim

ConeDodger
Thanks Jim... Yopu hasn't gone more than a couple hours without crying. They were quite close and would Skype at least once a day.

So, back to the car. I dropped by the body shop again after leaving DMV. I had a little problem reregistering it this year due to having, as it turned out 100 less miles than last year (Their clerical error) showing on the Odo. As it has Classic Plates, you have to have a mileage check each year. All straightened out now. Anyway, back to the body shop, the car was in the booth and they were masking. I am told again, paint tonight with curing over night and buffing tomorrow. Ready for me in the afternoon. Pictures will follow!
effutuo101
Ok, you should be getting pictures about now. poke.gif
bulitt
???? The suspense is killing him...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.