Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
ConeDodger
Harpo
Eric set me up with 911 CVs for my Raby 2270

David
McMark
Depends on of he sells his motor to John. wink.gif
Dave_Darling
Just a little duct tape should fix that up, right?

--DD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 6 2013, 10:40 AM) *

Just a little duct tape should fix that up, right?

--DD

Maybe... NASA might have some duct tape that'll fix it! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Pending the arrival of the funds, the motor is sold.

So, anyone know of a 3.2 Carrera motor with all of its DME stuff for sale? evilgrin.gif

Need an oil tank too... mad.gif

I see more of McMark's demeaning looks on the horizon! blink.gif
Steve
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 7 2013, 04:53 PM) *

Pending the arrival of the funds, the motor is sold.

So, anyone know of a 3.2 Carrera motor with all of its DME stuff for sale? evilgrin.gif

Need an oil tank too... mad.gif

I see more of McMark's demeaning looks on the horizon! blink.gif

Curious why not a 1995 3.6? I love my 3.2, but now the 3.6's are not that much more in price than a 3.2.
http://www.ladismantler.com/
ConeDodger
3.6 is a possibility... Paul Sayegh is a friend and relatively local to me. He has offered to advise in the past... Seems like the 3.2 is getting harder to find as well.
hot_shoe914
I'm glad you sold it, I have been thinking about it hard and heavy for a few days. Now I can think about something else.
McMark
Curious why not a 1995 3.6? I love my 3.2, but now the 3.6's are not that much more in price than a 3.2.

The two usual reasons. Availabilty and price. If the right motor comes along it wouldn't be an issue.
ConeDodger
Both seem readily available at Parts Heaven and LA Dismantlers. I have to research what little devils hide in used 3.6 liters. 3.2 liters are pretty bullet proof with the exception of head stud pulls.

I have to say, I rode in Paul Sayegh's 3.6 liter conversion when he first got the engine in it, OMG!!! blink.gif
sixnotfour
3.2 don't pull studs, they wear out valve guides, 3.6 wear out valve guides and need the heads and cylinders cut, Unless they got the recall update...
I like the twinplug 3.6...3.2 is the best all around..IMHO
ConeDodger
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 8 2013, 12:11 AM) *

3.2 don't pull studs, they wear out valve guides, 3.6 wear out valve guides and need the heads and cylinders cut, Unless they got the recall update...
I like the twinplug 3.6...3.2 is the best all around..IMHO

Your opinion should not be so humbly held Jeff... I will certainly consider that!
Steve
I thought only the 964 motors had the head problems. The 3.2 and 3.6 are known for bad valve guides. The 96-98 3.6 varioram engines are also known for clogged fuel injection problems. My 3.2 is an original euro 1984 engine with good compression and over 200k miles on it. The only thing I had to replace so far is the leaky oil return tubes.
McMark
Got the GT headlight kit installed. Not too challenging. Pretty much just a matter of cutting a new hole for the latch arm to pass through. Still gotta mount the release cables.
ConeDodger
Nice! What was the weight of all the motor assembly removed? biggrin.gif
McMark
~10lbs overall.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 10 2013, 01:52 PM) *

~10lbs overall.

That'll do! rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif
adiokyro
piratenanner.gif almost mine........
ConeDodger
QUOTE(adiokyro @ Jun 19 2013, 04:32 PM) *

Ha! Glad you're excited. No check today. Kind of funny too considering it's just over the hill... I'll check tomorrow and let you know. biggrin.gif
Woody
Oh noes. Not you too. I've got a 2.7 in the garage that I'm going to start building into a 2.5 short stroke. beerchug.gif
adiokyro
my assistant said she actually put it in the box this am
adiokyro
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 19 2013, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(adiokyro @ Jun 19 2013, 04:32 PM) *

Ha! Glad you're excited. No check today. Kind of funny too considering it's just over the hill... I'll check tomorrow and let you know. biggrin.gif

haha my assistant said she didnt get it in the box till this am... : )
ConeDodger
Yup me too... I will go with either a 3.2 with DME or a 3.6 with it's full EFI. McMark said something about twin turbochargers but he'll have to convince me... biggrin.gif
McMark
700hp? happy11.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 19 2013, 07:22 PM) *
McMark said something about twin turbochargers but he'll have to convince me...

Funny you mention this! biggrin.gif

Ever since Pete Stout and i went on that back-road run with the twin turbo i've been toying with that idea ...
w00t.gif
ConeDodger
OMG! Can you do that without cutting the body? evilgrin.gif will it work with the factory EFI? driving.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 19 2013, 08:19 PM) *

OMG! Can you do that without cutting the body? evilgrin.gif

I think so. Can't find the pics i took that day, they're probably on my old computer.

idea.gif
SirAndy
If Porsche can stuff them into this, there should be plenty of room in a 914!
w00t.gif

IPB Image
ConeDodger
Love the carbon fiber! You do have a point. There's a hell of a lot less room in there than a 914...
Dave_Darling
In there maybe, but the tail-draggers have a lot of room in the fenders, and some of the exhaust (in particular) winds up out there.

I wonder if there's enough room under the trunk floor for a couple of turbos? Or maybe you'd have to cut the floor...

--DD
McMark
Perhaps run the exhaust forward and put the turbos at the front of the engine. idea.gif

Andy, got any time to come up on Sunday? We can put your car up on the lift and hold the Garrett T3/T4 turbo I have here up in some spaces and see what might work.
ConeDodger
And so the plotting begins... evilgrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 8 2013, 03:10 AM) *

Both seem readily available at Parts Heaven and LA Dismantlers. I have to research what little devils hide in used 3.6 liters. 3.2 liters are pretty bullet proof with the exception of head stud pulls.

I have to say, I rode in Paul Sayegh's 3.6 liter conversion when he first got the engine in it, OMG!!! blink.gif

3.2 also has rod bolt issues, if you do a top end replace the rod bolts with ARP bolts.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 19 2013, 10:43 PM) *
Andy, got any time to come up on Sunday? We can put your car up on the lift and hold the Garrett T3/T4 turbo I have here up in some spaces and see what might work.

Yes, i'll be there ...
piratenanner.gif
McMark
I cancelled the turbo 3.6 play date because of rain. sad.gif Plus I realized a NA 3.6 will need new pistons to convert to turbo. NA 3.6 = 11.5:1 compression. TT 3.6 = 7.5:1 compression.

Rob stopped by on his way to SFO and we disassembled the 915 transmission that died in his 84 Carrera. Thought about using it with the 3.6 conversion, but we'll probably run the 901 for now and do the 915 as phase two.

Enjoy the carnage pics though. icon8.gif Not sure if the syncro came off first, or something else. But a syncro peeled out of it's home. All the dogteeth sheared off and lost a few teeth on a couple gears. Oh, and the 'slider guide' (can't remember the real name right now) snapped all the ends off.

Eventually it'll have new different gearing and an LSD/TB diff. burnout.gif
ConeDodger
I enjoyed lunch with McMark and the 915 carnage was viewed in person. It came with my pristine 1984 Carrera that was sold and sent to Germany last year. Locked up one night while driving home and I put in an LSD factory unit I found on the Bird...

Mark, send me a list of the carnaged parts and I will start sourcing...
ConeDodger
Anyone sitting on a late 915 we could use for parts? smile.gif
ConeDodger
As McMark said, you have to wait for the right engine to come along. All of the 'Porsche recycle' yards seem to think their 3.6 993 motors are made of gold apparently. I have yet to come across a 3.6 from a private party except one that had been in a car that burned and I'm not sure I want in on that mystery.

So, the other day, I saw an ad for a part out on a Carrera. The car was in a front end accident and the owner was injured. He has a broken foot and wood from the floorboard on that side embedded in his other foot. He is hurting. sad.gif

We emailed back and forth today, and finally, he called me. We made the deal for both the 3.2 and the 915. I figure I can use it after conversion and sell my 915 for parts. So, a six it is and 3.2 is the flavor! aktion035.gif
Steve
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 6 2013, 12:46 PM) *

As McMark said, you have to wait for the right engine to come along. All of the 'Porsche recycle' yards seem to think their 3.6 993 motors are made of gold apparently. I have yet to come across a 3.6 from a private party except one that had been in a car that burned and I'm not sure I want in on that mystery.

So, the other day, I saw an ad for a part out on a Carrera. The car was in a front end accident and the owner was injured. He has a broken foot and wood from the floorboard on that side embedded in his other foot. He is hurting. sad.gif

We emailed back and forth today, and finally, he called me. We made the deal for both the 3.2 and the 915. I figure I can use it after conversion and sell my 915 for parts. So, a six it is and 3.2 is the flavor! aktion035.gif

Congratulations!!! I love my 3.2!!
beerchug.gif
Rand
Congrats. Hopefully that other point doesn't eat at you. 3,4,5,6. When you count it out......

ConeDodger
A 3.2 can be made to put out the stock numbers of a 3.6. There is a combination of things that can be done. The intakes can be Extrude-Honed and balanced flow. The AFM can be replaced with a MAF that reports to the ECU as if it was the AFM. A Steve Wong chip can be added. Heck, just removing and replacing the stock exhaust gives you a pretty big boost. I'm not worried about the 'other points' as I can make up the difference if I want to. I suspect I will be pretty happy for a while though...

That, and the car looks soooooooooooooo good! biggrin.gif
Rand
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 6 2013, 02:04 PM) *

A 3.2 can be made to put out the stock numbers of a 3.6. There is a combination of things that can be done. The intakes can be Extrude-Honed and balanced flow. The AFM can be replaced with a MAF that reports to the ECU as if it was the AFM. A Steve Wong chip can be added. Heck, just removing and replacing the stock exhaust gives you a pretty big boost. I'm not worried about the 'other points' as I can make up the difference if I want to. I suspect I will be pretty happy for a while though...

That, and the car looks soooooooooooooo good! biggrin.gif

Had to mess with you bro. Hard to argue with a 3.2. One of the best Porsche engines ever.. I'm stoked for you and can't wait to see what comes of this.
r_towle
So, what does a used 3.2 motor cost nowadays?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 7 2013, 04:20 AM) *

So, what does a used 3.2 motor cost nowadays?

Raw, undelivered, the range was $5-8K with private party at the low end and Porsche recyclers at the high end. Hard to tell what the final cost will be though, as I have to sell off all of the 3.2 stuff I won't use such as heat exchangers, cat, muffler, AC, tin, air box, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate etc, then buy tin, exhaust, K&N, etc... driving.gif
r_towle
Get the dme checked to make sure the solder joints are all good.
Get the afm unit reworked at the same time.
Just save yourself the headache....stuff is old and flaky.

Rich
ConeDodger
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 7 2013, 04:46 AM) *

Get the dme checked to make sure the solder joints are all good.
Get the afm unit reworked at the same time.
Just save yourself the headache....stuff is old and flaky.

Rich

It came out of a wrecked '87 911. I have heard and seen it run and it purrs like a kitten and growls like a lion. I'm not worried about the AFM because I would replace it with MAF if it went bad. I have personally seen about 40 DME boxes at Parts Heaven. No headaches for me...

At just over 4000 RPM, all hell breaks loose in a 2800# 911 Carerra. I'm more worried about 4000 RPM in a 2000# 914! driving.gif evilgrin.gif
mepstein
agree.gif I can't wait to drive mine.

What made you decide to go 6 over your built 4?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 7 2013, 05:55 AM) *

It had always been the plan. Ever since going for a ride in Paul Sayegh's car I have been sure I would build a street GT with a six. I owned the Bumblebee Racer and that was a six of course, but it was caged and absolutely a pain to drive on the street. I want Yopu to ride in it, hell! Drive it driving-girl.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 7 2013, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 7 2013, 05:55 AM) *

It had always been the plan. Ever since going for a ride in Paul Sayegh's car I have been sure I would build a street GT with a six. I owned the Bumblebee Racer and that was a six of course, but it was caged and absolutely a pain to drive on the street. I want Yopu to ride in it, hell! Drive it driving-girl.gif

I understand. One ride in a 3.2-6 did it for me. My 1.7 is a fun little cruiser and fun to drive but a strong 6 is an E ticket ride
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.