Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
Mike Bellis
Start thinking about CV joint solutions. More HP + Wider tires = broken CV's
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 24 2011, 08:58 AM) *

I have an extra set of canti sslicks on 15 x 7 s you can use.

aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 21 2011, 08:14 AM) *

Looks like fun.

Congratulations guys.

I just noticed this post Eric... Thank you very much. Coming from you, praise means a lot. Your attention to detail has always been an inspiration to me. I am sure Mark appreciates it as well... pray.gif
Jake Raby
Rob, where did you guys end up with the timing?? For these short AX runs I probably have something that you could apply.
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 24 2011, 08:24 AM) *

It's getting flares this winter (if I have to kill myself paying for the install!) I will need advice on tires though. I currently think only in terms of street tires. With a narrow body, I can't use Hoosiers, because they're wider than most other brands. I love Victoracers. I can't believe the grip, though this engine clearly was able to overwhelm that grip. Slicks might be a possibility... shades.gif

Canti's will work great with your motor. When you are in first gear you won't get much traction, but as soon as you shift to second they are tough to blow off. So buzz them a bit, before the timing light, shift to second quickly and the torque will take over from there. Also you can get Canti's used, i.e., qualifying tires, in a pretty soft compound. That is all I've used for the last two driving seasons.

The next step up are A6's, but they are twice the dollars and require a carefully set up and cambered car.

I'd say the A15 Avon's are the next step after that, but they are bias ply, so the opposite of the A6's when it comes to camber. And they are $400 each or close to that.
ConeDodger
Several people have asked what the 'offset' was, what she gets because I get the new motor. I had thought it would be a Cayenne and it certainly was heading that direction thanks to Eric Shea stirring her up with pics of pimped Cayennes.
It turned out to be an Audi A4 2.0T with everything. She loves it. Even put her screen name on the plates!

Help Admin! Everything is going to fall out of the center console! fixed...
ConeDodger
In case you guys were thinking this project has been sitting doing nothing this winter, think again!

Mark has been busy doing that OC Thang!

You may recall we replaced the distributor with a breather bung made by Jeff Hines (sixnotfour). I had used a breather made by Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing but I wanted something a bit more OC... Mark put his big brain to work and the following series of pictures is the evolution of an Original Customs Breather Box. Contact McMark if you want something like this made up...

The drawing:
ConeDodger
Mark has a metal brake so he can do this kind of thing...
ConeDodger
The rest is all welding, brazing, and powdercoating...
ConeDodger
He used aluminum "duocel" in the bottom and foam at the top with holes all around so the crankcase pressure can vent...
ConeDodger
Then, he mounted it on the engine. All he has left to do in these pics is hook up a hose to the oil fill stand and it is fully functional...

You can see the Original Customs concept here... Mark designs things so they 'look' as if they might have been there in the first place. Not intending a "bling" factor. Form and function take equal standing...
McMark
No flares yet. But here's a teaser of what did show up. drooley.gif
ConeDodger
Mmmmm.... Weidman's Wheels RSR finish 16X7 front and 16X8.5 rears shod with new A6's. Gonna be a sticky summer! biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
Cool breather setup and REALLY COOL wheels!
ConeDodger
Oh damn...

I can't bear to look. sad.gif

My car has been moved to the top of McMark's 'Current Project' section on the Original Customs Website.

This can only mean that he has begun cutting it up for the flares biggrin.gif
J P Stein
I can't bear to look either.....seen too many step over the edge to the slippery slope.
Flares & wide Hoosiers? Doomed, doomed I tell ya. biggrin.gif
McMark
Stalker... ph34r.gif
McMark
Hold on to your heart medication. happy11.gif

The flares are just screwed on for now. Ready to attack them with the welder on Sunday.

Had to fire up the engine to move the car over a little, and it's amazing how easily and smoothly the engine fires up and idles cold. drooley.gif
Porsche930dude
looks great. i hope your protecting the glass when welding and grinding at it. Speckled glass is not cool
jmill
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 7 2012, 12:13 AM) *

Mmmmm.... Weidman's Wheels RSR finish 16X7 front and 16X8.5 rears shod with new A6's. Gonna be a sticky summer! biggrin.gif

Beautiful rims. Wish I had the dough. Did Harvey make the 8.5's for you?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 5 2012, 05:45 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 7 2012, 12:13 AM) *

Beautiful rims. Wish I had the dough. Did Harvey make the 8.5's for you?

Yes! Harvey is a wizard... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Sorry for stalking... sad.gif Your website is bookmarked... biggrin.gif

So I take it you didn't find any surprises under the paint on the fenders?

By the way, anyone interested in some polished Cookie Cutters in 15X7... They are full restorations that have a couple hundred miles on them. Tires go on my 240Z so 'Forgetaboutit' dry.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 5 2012, 04:48 PM) *

Stalker... ph34r.gif

ConeDodger
QUOTE(Porsche930dude @ Apr 5 2012, 05:17 PM) *

looks great. i hope your protecting the glass when welding and grinding at it. Speckled glass is not cool

Well I'll be! So that is how ALL those other flare installs you've done wound up with speckled glass! blink.gif

Seriously, I'm not worried. Mark has done many flare installs with very superior results... smile.gif
JStroud
Saw your tires and wheels last Sunday, they look amazing, I'm pretty sure they where still there when I left happy11.gif

Might see the car Tuesday if I make it out there.

Looking good Rob beerchug.gif

Mark does great work, wait till you see what he's done for my white car.....and what he's going to do after WCR aktion035.gif

Can't wait to see your car finished. Going to be very nice!!!!

Jeff
MDG
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 8 2012, 12:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Porsche930dude @ Apr 5 2012, 05:17 PM) *

Well I'll be! So that is how ALL those other flare installs you've done wound up with speckled glass! blink.gif

Seriously, I'm not worried. Mark has done many flare installs with very superior results... smile.gif

The kaleidoscope effect on a sunny day is pretty cool . . . but I'm pretty sure Mark has it all under control.

Car is going to be fantastic, Rob. I have the same wheels from Harvey on my Irish Green car. The guy does A+ work.
McMark
welder.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 9 2012, 03:55 PM) *

welder.gif

I think that means there's sparks flying! Post pics Mark! biggrin.gif
jmill
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 9 2012, 07:20 PM) *

I think that means there's sparks flying! Post pics Mark! biggrin.gif

agree.gif

I'd like to see how you finish off the bottom of the fender. I've got some ideas but would like to see what you do. That's whats left unfinished on mine
ConeDodger
Oh Hell! I can't wait! I went to the OC site and stole these! I'll do the time for stealing Mark's intellectual property! Now that's dead-sexy!
ConeDodger
Today I posted something of a goal on McMark's Original Customs Facebook page. It is a picture I have been admiring for a few years. I posted that this was my goal for my car except with chrome bumpers, sans graphics and big fueling hole in the middle of the hood.
Mike Bellis
Will the car make it to WCR 2012?
ConeDodger
Mark answered with a simple 'Well you're one step closer today'... Both right side fender flares are now on. Beautiful work Mark.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 11 2012, 05:01 PM) *

Yes Mike. Mark says the flares will be on by weeks end. He has done enough of these and does them so well that he can gauge pretty much how long it will take.
We plan on priming the fenders and I will run it like that all season. Then next winter, I will send it to the body shop for new paint in the original color, Diamond Silver Metallic.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 11 2012, 06:04 PM) *

Yes Mike. Mark says the flares will be on by weeks end. He has done enough of these and does them so well that he can gauge pretty much how long it will take.
We plan on priming the fenders and I will run it like that all season. Then next winter, I will send it to the body shop for new paint in the original color, Diamond Silver Metallic.

Awesome! piratenanner.gif

Rob, I love your car wub.gif I want to see that killer Raby/McMark engine run!!!

Did you cringe a little when Mark stripped the paint off the fenders?
Socalandy
Sweeeeeeeeet welder.gif drooley.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 11 2012, 05:09 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 11 2012, 06:04 PM) *

Awesome! piratenanner.gif

Rob, I love your car wub.gif I want to see that killer Raby/McMark engine run!!!

Did you cringe a little when Mark stripped the paint off the fenders?

Well, let's just say it was a good thing I was 200 miles away... sad.gif
ConeDodger
Mark's been at it again... This time in the left rear. I suspect he will be done by Sunday... I can't wait to see it in person!
ConeDodger
So while I was off working this weekend McMark was off having fun... Finishing my flares! This is so cool! Check these out. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Then he ground off the welds evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
And deleted the side marker light holes. aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
Looks like Mark had the OC in high gear today! Completed flares, all ground off, primered with fender wells undercoated... GT goodness! aktion035.gif
SirAndy
first.gif
ConeDodger
Now to have some WCR fun... A little warm-up this weekend at Mather Field with the PCA - SVR gang... Hopefully I will not break it because I need to get current plates in Nevada with it before coming back over for WCR! blink.gif
rick 918-S
beerchug.gif welder.gif
ConeDodger
An upskirt shot for you perverts out there! evilgrin.gif
JStroud
beer.gif Looking good Rob, can't wait to see it run Sunday.

Jeff
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jsconst @ Apr 17 2012, 09:33 PM) *

Jeff

Jeff, You have to be registered or on the guest list to get in to the Mather site. Shall I put you on my guest list or are you running? biggrin.gif Also, the gates are only open for a period of time in the morning and when they shut the place down. It is an active airport with security.
JStroud
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 18 2012, 07:12 AM) *

QUOTE(jsconst @ Apr 17 2012, 09:33 PM) *

Jeff

Jeff, You have to be registered or on the guest list to get in to the Mather site. Shall I put you on my guest list or are you running? biggrin.gif Also, the gates are only open for a period of time in the morning and when they shut the place down. It is an active airport with security.

Didn't realize you had to register ahead, I'll do that today. Yes I want to run my new car, if it passes tech this time. It should I think all of the issues have been taken care of. I do know about being there early, went to one there last year to watch, got there too late and couldn't get in. See you there driving.gif

Jeff
ConeDodger
The Original Customs boys are at it again today. Yesterday, they discovered that the custom built 8.5" wheels built by Weidman's Wheels in Oroville California were just a little bit wide for the reproduction steel GT flares we are installing on my car. Fortunately, the OC has a German GT that was imported sitting in the shop for rust repair. I had forgotten about Andy's car. It is a brown GT that has the original Porsche factory flares which Mark is uninstalling and reinstalling to get rid of the rust worms that have invaded the car. Talk about knowing 914 flare installation forward and backward! biggrin.gif Anyway, what Mark discovered when he compared the two flares is that the factory flare has about half the lip as the reproduction. So, a little bit of a trim with the body saw and some grinding to clean up the cut, then a bit of primer and we have clearance. This should be good since as the car sits down into its spring it gains negative camber. What this means is that the top of the tire moves inward... Check out the before and after pics!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.