Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
ConeDodger
Ok, I'm back on the Euro Rear Fog Light which we have affectionately dubbed the "Garvey Light" after Pat Garvey who objects vehemently to anything that didn't come on the car as new. Pat has the original air in his tires I'm told! We love you Pat! happy11.gif

So, the mounts are the main problem when you decide to add the Factory Rear Fog Light. If you search the subject you'll find discussion of the outer being available but the inner NLA. Well, the discussion is from 2007-8 so none are available from Porsche anymore. The lights themselves are available through Just Kampers in the UK and the wiring harness can be had by contacting Jeff Bowlsby.

Here are Tom Blizznik's project drawings. Tom supplied me with the light and the outer mount. I am going to have a half dozen of the outer mounts reproduced and a half dozen + 1 (for me) of the inner mounts produced. The extras will be available through PMB Performance once they are done.

The question is, is a half dozen of each mount going to be enough? How much interest is there in this
Mike Bellis
Not sure why but I think I want one. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 3 2016, 09:37 PM) *

'Cause you an outlaw! shades.gif
raynekat
Made a "homemade" mount.....but a professional looking one might be nice.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 23 2016, 04:19 PM) *

Perhaps someone knows...

I have a mystery. While the seats are being recovered, I am putting the rear fog light AKA Garvey light on the car. When I take off the lens, I discover there is no bulb (which I was going to change to LED anyway) and nothing in the instructions (in 8 languages) that tells me what bulb to use. What do I do here? Do I just keep trying bulbs until I find one that fits the holder? What have my fellow Garvey light guys used. I'd ask Eric S. but he's busier than a two-peckered owl in mating season and it's his youngest daughter's birthday today. Anyone??

German light assemblies often have lamp specifications molded into the housing or the lens.
Look the assembly over thoroughly.
socal1200r
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 11 2016, 07:34 PM) *

Took the old girl out to a car show today that turned out to be 99.9% 'Murican Muscle. Don't get me wrong, I love that, but as I pulled in I got stink eye from this asshat who said "you can't park that here." So I kept my money and just did a walk through. Ran in to Bradley Brownell of Stoddard NLA fame. He gets the photo credit for this picture. Oh, and I did park that there too prick!

I would've asked the asshat, "what did YOU drive/trailer here?", and he probably would've either not answered, or pointed to some POS in the corner. Yeah asshat, STFU...
jim_hoyland
Nice Rob, good to see you are resurrecting interest in the Garvey lights smile.gif I'll be interested

EdwardBlume
When does the light turn on? Maybe put an airport beacon on the roof? av-943.gif
ConeDodger
The old location of Original Customs is now a race car prep shop. The owner is a pretty cool guy. Some of you might know that I own the smog shop 100 yards away. I was talking to him about this yesterday and he said if I bring him the parts he can model them in solid works and we can send the drawings out to online shops for production.

I'll bring the part and drawing to him on Monday and have more information then... biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
Have you seen a rear fog light mounted just below the number on the valance ? The first time I seen a rear red fog it was mounted there
TJB/914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 3 2016, 10:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 3 2016, 09:37 PM) *

'Cause you an outlaw! shades.gif

Because you want to join the Eric Kool Kid Club. rolleyes.gif
Tom lol-2.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 5 2016, 10:27 AM) *

The old location of Original Customs is now a race car prep shop. The owner is a pretty cool guy. Some of you might know that I own the smog shop 100 yards away. I was talking to him about this yesterday and he said if I bring him the parts he can model them in solid works and we can send the drawings out to online shops for production.

I'll bring the part and drawing to him on Monday and have more information then... biggrin.gif

Hey Rob,
If interested in making it perfect, I'll take mine off and send it to you for duplication?? Of course you will return mine when finished.
Send me a PM with an address if interested.
Tom
TJB/914
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Oct 5 2016, 01:45 PM) *

Hey Rob,
If interested in making it perfect, I'll take mine off and send it to you for duplication?? Of course you will return mine when finished.
Tom

Looks like this. popcorn[1].gif
Tom
raynekat
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 5 2016, 08:00 AM) *

Have you seen a rear fog light mounted just below the number on the valance ? The first time I seen a rear red fog it was mounted there

Typically done on 911 installs.....but not on 914's.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Oct 5 2016, 01:45 PM) *

Hey Rob,
Tom

PM on the way TBlizz!
ConeDodger
Ok, so this is coming together nicely. TBlizz is sending me his original inner mount. I have an original outer mount which TBlizz also sent me (attached to the rear fog I'm using). I'll take them to my neighbor at the old Original Custom site for modeling in solid works. Then we can have a dozen or so of each made and make them available! Cool! biggrin.gif

Then we can all be Stylin' like TBlizz and Erc! Garvey lights all around!
TJB/914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 5 2016, 08:27 PM) *

Ok, so this is coming together nicely. TBlizz is sending me his original inner mount. I have an original outer mount which TBlizz also sent me (attached to the rear fog I'm using). I'll take them to my neighbor at the old Original Custom site for modeling in solid works. Then we can have a dozen or so of each made and make them available! Cool! biggrin.gif

Rob,
I think Jeff Bowlsby really wants one on his LE and a Red Fog Lamp would really look good on Pete Stout's Red 914. happy11.gif Just pushing the envelope of Kool. stirthepot.gif w00t.gif
Tom in the club. laugh.gif

ConeDodger
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Oct 5 2016, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 5 2016, 08:27 PM) *

Rob,
I think Jeff Bowlsby really wants one on his LE and a Red Fog Lamp would really look good on Pete Stout's Red 914. happy11.gif Just pushing the envelope of Kool. stirthepot.gif w00t.gif
Tom in the club. laugh.gif

av-943.gif lol-2.gif
jim_hoyland
Nice going; everything is coming together. Do we have a sign-up sheet ? Or ?
Mike Bellis
This is getting to be like the SS Chevelle. There are more SS cars on the road today than GM ever built...
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Oct 5 2016, 05:40 PM) *

I think Jeff Bowlsby really wants one on his LE and a Red Fog Lamp would really look good on Pete Stout's Red 914.

OK, who has the drill bit, who has the extra wires, and who can distract Pete and Jeff?

--DD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 5 2016, 11:18 PM) *

I think Jeff Bowlsby really wants one on his LE and a Red Fog Lamp would really look good on Pete Stout's Red 914.

OK, who has the drill bit, who has the extra wires, and who can distract Pete and Jeff?

--DD

av-943.gif lol-2.gif OMG! happy11.gif that's a good reason for a Pancake House Meet!
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 6 2016, 08:12 AM) *

--DD

av-943.gif lol-2.gif OMG! happy11.gif that's a good reason for a Pancake House Meet!

Jeff only lives a couple mile away. I can go there and drill holes in all his cars. This might looks good on his 928 too... idea.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 6 2016, 08:59 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 6 2016, 08:12 AM) *

--DD

Jeff only lives a couple mile away. I can go there and drill holes in all his cars. This might looks good on his 928 too... idea.gif

Since I'm having the extra mounts made, I'm thinking I'll have one put on my Tundra! blink.gif
ConeDodger
Got a package from Tom today. A lot quicker than we expected. He thought it would arrive by Tuesday which would have held things up considerably since I return for my 1 week at work on Monday...

I will be meeting with the race car shop guy who occupies the old Original Customs site in our industrial complex on Monday if he is there. Then we can get some of these reproduced... biggrin.gif
raynekat
Put me down on your list who would like one of each bracket, thanks.
eric914
Put me down too for a set if you are starting a list.
ConeDodger
Guys, I am not starting a list. Once I get these done, I'm sending them to PMB and you will be able to get them from Eric... biggrin.gif
eric914
Roger:)
edrotol
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 3 2016, 06:21 PM) *

Ok, I'm back on the Euro Rear Fog Light which we have affectionately dubbed the "Garvey Light" after Pat Garvey who objects vehemently to anything that didn't come on the car as new. Pat has the original air in his tires I'm told! We love you Pat! happy11.gif

So, the mounts are the main problem when you decide to add the Factory Rear Fog Light. If you search the subject you'll find discussion of the outer being available but the inner NLA. Well, the discussion is from 2007-8 so none are available from Porsche anymore. The lights themselves are available through Just Kampers in the UK and the wiring harness can be had by contacting Jeff Bowlsby.

Here are Tom Blizznik's project drawings. Tom supplied me with the light and the outer mount. I am going to have a half dozen of the outer mounts reproduced and a half dozen + 1 (for me) of the inner mounts produced. The extras will be available through PMB Performance once they are done.

The question is, is a half dozen of each mount going to be enough? How much interest is there in this

I can volunteer a never installed ORIGINAL FACTORY REAR FOGLIGHT including the 2 metal pieces (no bolts), the rear fog light (with bulb), and a factory issued wiring harness.
I have yet to determine once and for all what switch is used and where is the switch located. Another subject to ponder.

edrotol
QUOTE(edrotol @ Oct 8 2016, 09:48 PM) *

I can volunteer a never installed ORIGINAL FACTORY REAR FOGLIGHT including the 2 metal pieces (no bolts), the rear fog light (with bulb), and a factory issued wiring harness.
I have yet to determine once and for all what switch is used and where is the switch located. Another subject to ponder.

ConeDodger
Edrotol,
I believe the factory fog light dash switch is used. Can you check and see what bulb is used?

Not using it? Send it to me!
ConeDodger
Just an update. Today, I dropped off the inner and outer mount at the fabrication shop. The plan is for him to model it in Solidworks and send it out for production. I asked for 20 each, inner and outer but if it cost the same to do 200? We will see...
once these are produced, I don't want to deal with it. I will be sending them to Eric Shea at PMB Performance and you can buy them from him. biggrin.gif
Dion
If there is a "list" of wanna be's smile.gif I'm in for a set of the brackets. Thanks
Rob for doing this.
Cheers,Dion
ConeDodger
Lazy weekend before going back to work...

But I thought I should get something done. I had an extra set of seats that I was going to recover using a set of 914Rubber.com reupholstery kits. Turns out I have two driver seats. Well, in this car, that will not do. So, I put an ad in the Classified section for FTGH (Free To Good Home) and Joe from Carson City came up to get them. But when we talked, he asked if I needed anything. Why yes, yes I do!

Now, I'm using my original seats to recover.

McMark had pointed out that I had an Appearance Group Heat Control Lever in the car. Makes sense since the car was originally an Appearance Group car. Well, now, it isn't. So I asked and Joe had a regular lever. It was in darn good shape too but just for shits and giggles, I took it apart, cleaned up all the surfaces with some 0000 steel wool and put a little grease on the bushings to make it move smoothly. Here it is! I'll be installing it in a few minutes...

I know, I know... The red lever handle was all faded out so I put in a another 914Rubber.com order. Handle goes on next time I'm home! evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
Oh, and I had breakfast with Eric Shea this morning as he was driving through Reno on his way back to Sandy... chowtime.gif
ConeDodger
And, installed! evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
I should have these in - in a few minutes. These are my original seats recovered in a late kit from 914Rubber.com. This is a from the original kit supplier that Mark used. I can easily see why he no longer uses them. This had to be completely reworked. The side bolsters were sewed too wide. The head rest had a cutting flaw. The side bolsters were seam ripped and re-sewn smaller. The head rests were completely thrown out and made new. Now, they're pretty much perfect...

As I said, 914Rubber has a new supplier so buy with confidence. These problems have been taken care of. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Sorry for such a late post after saying I'd have them in in a few minutes. Sometimes I have to go to work to get time to post! blink.gif blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(edrotol @ Oct 9 2016, 01:49 AM) *

Update on the reproduction factory mounts for the rear fog light:

I got a bid for 20 of each and it was pretty much astronomical. I had them reduce it to 10 and 10. They should be done pretty soon. Once they are done, I'll send them on to PMB and you can order them through Eric. At 10 and 10 they probably will sell out. 20 and 20 might linger. Bottom line is jump on it when I tell you they are here because they won't last long. cheer.gif

TJB/914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 6 2016, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(edrotol @ Oct 9 2016, 01:49 AM) *

Update on the reproduction factory mounts for the rear fog light:

I got a bid for 20 of each and it was pretty much astronomical. I had them reduce it to 10 and 10. They should be done pretty soon. Once they are done, I'll send them on to PMB and you can order them through Eric. At 10 and 10 they probably will sell out. 20 and 20 might linger. Bottom line is jump on it when I tell you they are here because they won't last long. cheer.gif

Hi Rob,
Good news the rear Fog (Garvey) Light installation is moving forward laugh.gif I like the idea the brackets are fabricated in small quantity making it special popcorn[1].gif A little history how my Fog Light accessory got started, Wolfgang is the culprit rolleyes.gif when I learned he had one to send me from Germany. I researched both German and US ones and learned they were somewhat different. Both are correct in my opinion, but flame me if I am wrong. icon8.gif After I sourced a lot of duplicates and selected NOS items then getting the wire harness from Bowlsey I was ready to install. stirthepot.gif I somehow got Pat Garvey's attention when I said I was drilling (3) holes into the rear panel to install. Pat had a "Hisssy Fit" and the rest is history. So that's why we call it a Garvey Accessory happy11.gif History will be kind to Pat when he admits only the Kool Kids have one. idea.gif
Tom evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
TBlizz,
Thanks for the history lesson! Pat has made great contributions to our originality knowledge base. I think he has his tongue in his cheek when he chides us. As much as he values originality, he understands automotive self-expression.

I'm excited to get this thing on the car and join the Kool kids! aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
So, I had a couple boxes from 914Rubber waiting when I got home. I'd be in the garage installing if it wasn't for the 42 hours it took to get home from work! blink.gif damned atmospheric river! On top of that, I went through a puddle up at South Lake Tahoe and now I have a check engine light... mad.gif

First up is the reproduction foglight grills. Mine are nice but these will be a nice addition to the Original Customs fabricated GT front bumper.
ConeDodger
Next is the LED headlight kit 914Rubber is offering. I've gone to the trouble of replacing all the other lights except fogs with LED by Jerry so this seems like a natural step in the process.
ConeDodger
A closer look at this kit...

The housing: the bezel itself is a little flatter than a stock sealed beam. Not really news to those who have used the H4 before as it is just an H4 housing.
As you can see, it has spring clips to hold the bulb in place...
ConeDodger
This is the bulb. It actually contains a fan to keep the whole mess cool.
ConeDodger
Bulb installed.
ConeDodger
Ballast installed.
ConeDodger
Tomorrow, I'll install them. I'm just too beat from all of that effort to get home from work to do it tonight!

Oh! And these are parts that you don't use. They are valuable to the guys that want to use the H4 bulbs so don't just throw them out!
ConeDodger
Comparison, left is the H4 sealed beam I installed ten years ago. Right is the LED's Mark is wanting me to test. I'd say we have a winner!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.