Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
ConeDodger
Oh, and by the way, if anyone has a spare finisher for the driver side targa latch, I destroyed mine taking it off. sad.gif
ConeDodger
Today I picked up the 914 from the warehouse to bring it to our new house. It will live on the top shelf of the four post with the 240Z below it. As I read through this thread after and as I drove it across town, it occurred to me just how much of this car has @McMark fingerprints on it. Did I thank you enough? Is there any way to thank him enough? Thank you Mark…
autopro
Just beautiful, love all your cars especially the Datsun and Ferrari wub.gif
ConeDodger
Well, a bit of texture and paint. Something I’ve been meaning to do for a few years. Turned out shinier than I wanted. Maybe it will flatten out a bit as the paint ages…
ConeDodger
Order up! Ordered some 914Rubber.Com parts to refresh the underside. My perlon was partially peeling so I pulled it off…
ConeDodger
So when I get the new perlon roof ‘rug’ I will need to glue it on, but there is leftover fur from the original still stuck to the top. What do you guys who’ve done this suggest?
Root_Werks
Looking great! That 914 sure has come a long way.

driving.gif
ConeDodger
Today before it got too freakin’ hot here in the high desert, I banged out some targa top work. First, I took some Goof Off to the old glue from the original headliner. I poured on and used a wire brush to knock down the old glue. This worked pretty well, but I followed it with some PRE paint prep to make sure there wasn’t anything to interfere with adhesion..
ConeDodger
Next, I layed out the new 914Rubber perlon headliner and let it settle a bit from its rolled up trip from Oregon. It fits very nicely but I have a late top so some trimming had to be done around the front bosses… @mikey914
ConeDodger
I then bead blasted and painted the hardware. I suspect it was originally bright work, but I don’t have a vapor blaster to bring it that far back so I opted for paint.
ConeDodger
Finally, I used 3M 90 spray contact on both the back side of the perlon and the top. 3 coats in opposite direction. Let it get tack and glue them together.
ConeDodger
Finally, reattached the hardware and made the adjustments on the car. Looks pretty good. All new rubber, new perlon, rebuilt latches which I will detail in another post.
Mikey914
Nice job!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 12 2022, 05:19 PM) *

Nice job!

Thanks Mark! Our phone call where you told me about using the Goof Off on the old contact cement was invaluable advice. It gave me a pretty smooth surface to work with. OBTW, I decided not to wait for the black perlon! biggrin.gif @mikey914
Mikey914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 14 2022, 07:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 12 2022, 05:19 PM) *

Nice job!

Thanks Mark! Our phone call where you told me about using the Goof Off on the old contact cement was invaluable advice. It gave me a pretty smooth surface to work with. OBTW, I decided not to wait for the black perlon! biggrin.gif @mikey914

Awesome. Yes it's the best for removing without damage.
ConeDodger
I had mentioned previously that I would show and talk about the rear latches. Sorry, retirement keeps me busier than I thought it would.

Like I’m sure a lot of you did, I availed myself of the 914Rubber.com group buy for rebuilding the targa latches. Lots of times, I just buy whatever the group buy is and throw it in a big box of parts for “whenever” I need that. Not this time. I’ve never been all that happy with my targa latches. They felt sloppy to me. The hook liked to wobble about and the spring was pretty tired. I got the most complete late set as my car started life as a ‘75 no matter what she looks like now. The complete late kit includes everything except the hook so you don’t really have to recondition anything.

The result is tight, the action is very smooth and precise. Home run @mikey914
ConeDodger
Took the 914, or should I say, the 914 took me to Hot August Nights today.

A few that caught my eye…
ConeDodger
Neighbor got off cheap!!! Virgil backed his Jeep in to my driveway to help me hang some cabinets. He heard a crunch and slammed on the brakes. Luckily, the crunch was literally only my left front euro turn signal lens. $60 some odd dollars and a Phillips screwdriver and it’s fixed. Thanks 914Rubber.com!

There are no scratches. It’s just light anomaly…. (I paid for the lens) Virgil wanted to but, bro, you helped me hang garage cabinets… biggrin.gif
Krieger
blink.gif Wow that's as good as it gets!
ConeDodger
biggrin.gif

Snow’s gone. (For now).
TRS63
What a beauty!
Bests
Antoine
ConeDodger
Glad you like it Antoine. biggrin.gif
East coaster
Nice! Reminds me of my last teener
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.