Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
ConeDodger
When it rains it pours! Just bought a second 3.2 with 55K miles on it and sold the first and the 915 that came with it for a modest profit... biggrin.gif
McMark
Whoa! boldblue.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 7 2013, 03:40 PM) *

Whoa! boldblue.gif

I think that 60K miles is right about the time they do a check on the valve guides and such so while it's out...
ConeDodger
Just sent the cashiers check for the engine. The guy I am buying it from is a member here though he hasn't owned a 914 in a couple years. His 914 now apparently belongs to Rich Wilner and he has been a customer of Chris Foley...

evilgrin.gif Now, I'm officially excited!!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 8 2013, 01:48 PM) *

Just sent the cashiers check for the engine. The guy I am buying it from is a member here though he hasn't owned a 914 in a couple years. His 914 now apparently belongs to Rich Wilner and he has been a customer of Chris Foley...

evilgrin.gif Now, I'm officially excited!!

If I'm not mistaken, that 914 has since been reunited with its original owner. smile.gif

The 3.2 is a great engine for a 914-6.
You're gonna love it! beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 8 2013, 07:02 PM) *
The 3.2 is a great engine for a 914-6.

agree.gif
R8CERX
Awesome set up!!

biggrin.gif

Great job!

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 6 2013, 02:04 PM) *

A 3.2 can be made to put out the stock numbers of a 3.6. There is a combination of things that can be done. The intakes can be Extrude-Honed and balanced flow. The AFM can be replaced with a MAF that reports to the ECU as if it was the AFM. A Steve Wong chip can be added. Heck, just removing and replacing the stock exhaust gives you a pretty big boost. I'm not worried about the 'other points' as I can make up the difference if I want to. I suspect I will be pretty happy for a while though...

That, and the car looks soooooooooooooo good! biggrin.gif

ConeDodger
A question for the guys who have done 3.2 conversions...

Patrick Motorsports seems to sell a couple different lightened flywheels for the conversion. I know about the issues with lightened flywheels but I am wondering if these effect the stock DME injection at all? I am purposely going with a stock 3.2 for the driveability these engines exhibit.
TravisNeff
I think a steve wong chip could solve the issue with the light flywheel and adjust for a non catalyst exhaust. vroom!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 9 2013, 03:09 PM) *

I think a steve wong chip could solve the issue with the light flywheel and adjust for a non catalyst exhaust. vroom!

You may be right. And the nice thing about Steve is that if I decide to do the other stuff, extrude hone and flow balance the intake and replace the AFM with a MAF, he will re-flash it...

Of course, if McMark gives me a demeaning look, I'll have to find another solution... blink.gif
McMark
first.gif
ConeDodger
Mark, I need a Patrick Motorsports shopping list...
McMark
thumb3d.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 9 2013, 09:09 PM) *

Two of everything. One for you and one for me. I figure since you bought me a motor, you may as well buy all the other stuff for me too. poke.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 10 2013, 02:52 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 9 2013, 09:09 PM) *

Two of everything. One for you and one for me. I figure since you bought me a motor, you may as well buy all the other stuff for me too. poke.gif

No. Now lay by your dish! evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
So, it wouldn't be fun without a little adventure right?

The trucking company showed up in Long Island this morning without a liftgate and had to dispatch another truck with a liftgate to pick up the 3.2 engine. So now, the wait begins. I am told 4-5 days transit time. They never deliver on the weekends so I am thinking Thursday or more likely Friday. Friday creates a problem because McMark isn't open on Friday or Saturday. So I have my fingers crossed that they will make it by Thursday!!! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Estimated delivery date is 7/22! piratenanner.gif
McMark
3.2 came today. I'm not sure how we're going to fit two turbos and a supercharger on this thing.
ConeDodger
Where's Bovey? He has to have noticed that garbage can!
ConeDodger
28mm HKS spacers heading your way Mark. We can't have Andy disgusted every time he sees my car! biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
enjoy the darty drive
ConeDodger
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 1 2013, 06:46 PM) *

enjoy the darty drive

Jeff,
With my corner-balanced 'autocross' alignment, it already darts about like a go-kart. They will come off for any competition event. smile.gif
J P Stein
Keeping Andy happy is high on your priorty list? rolleyes.gif

Just get some proper wheels to fill the holes without an increasing scrub radius. You're gonna need em' eventually to mount enough tire for a 3.2L. Spacers up front will f*** up your steering.

How long you been up to this 914 stuff? screwy.gif
Dave_Darling
I thought that wheels that "filled the holes" would by definition move the scrub radius out?

--DD
J P Stein
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 2 2013, 07:45 AM) *

I thought that wheels that "filled the holes" would by definition move the scrub radius out?

--DD

I mis-spoke.....wrote?
An 8 inch wide Fuch has about the same backspace of the stock 5.5 inch wheel.
That will move the scrub radius out about 1.25 inches which is not excessive for the 914....but damn close to the edge. If you start out with 7 inch wheels, then add 28 mm(1.12 in) you step over the line.
ConeDodger
For the record, if JP got the death penalty he would complain if they weren't going to hang him with a new rope... blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 2 2013, 11:02 AM) *
For the record, if JP got the death penalty he would complain if they weren't going to hang him with a new rope... blink.gif

Naaa, he would complain that the rope was 1.5" too long and that would make it harder for him to wiggle around while trying to make sharp turns with his neck ...
popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
For the record, unless my bank calls me and says John's check can fly, he is the proud owner of the only Raby kit 2432 in existence...

Congratulations and thanks! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Looking for parts for this project has me hyper-vigilant. I found a Quaife TBD unit with a few hundred miles on it for my 915. I got it for about half what a new one would cost and free shipping.
My plan for the 915 is to do the usual stuff, WEVO, flip and set it up for the 3.2 speedometer. But since I destroyed a couple gears, I'll have to hunt them down and replace them. Once I do find them, I plan on having them lightened just as PRS914-6 did on his. I'll use stock gearing as it will be primarily a street car with trips to the track and autocrossed on weekends.

McMark is working on a shopping list for me for a Patrick Motorsport order. I have decided to go with MSDS headers. I need advice on a muffler though from you guys that have BTDT...
ConeDodger
SCORE!

Just found a reproduction 914-6 GT oil cooler new for $300. That's $188 less than new!
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 12 2013, 01:54 PM) *
Just found a reproduction 914-6 GT oil cooler new for $300. That's $188 less than new!

Is it going to be big enough?
idea.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 12 2013, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 12 2013, 01:54 PM) *

Is it going to be big enough?
idea.gif

It's the one PMS sells with their 914-6 oil cooler kit. Should be good. I hope smile.gif
McMark
The 3.2 also has the on engine cooler.

Shopping list finally provided. pinch.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 12 2013, 10:11 PM) *

Too late. I've lost interest. I'm going to build another 4 cylinder. lol-2.gif

Seriously, thanks. I will have it all ordered by the end of the day. biggrin.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 13 2013, 07:10 AM) *

Seriously, thanks. I will have it all ordered by the end of the day. biggrin.gif

So Rob, are you trying to keep up with Mike, (kg6dxn) and see how many different engines you can put in your 914. lol-2.gif I think V8 would be next.

Nice engine, looks like your having fun! Congrats

Jeff

ConeDodger
QUOTE(jsconst @ Aug 13 2013, 06:43 AM) *

So Rob, are you trying to keep up with Mike, (kg6dxn) and see how many different engines you can put in your 914. lol-2.gif I think V8 would be next.

Jeff

I had thought about that Jeff... In the last 10 years it has had its original, a 2270, a borrowed Dwight Mitchell motor (thanks Jim!), a 2432 (sold to John) and now a 3.2. I doubt it will ever need another motor in my lifetime. When I had my 911 I remember thinking that the 3.2 was an incredible motor and would be perfect in a 914.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jsconst @ Aug 13 2013, 09:43 AM) *

Jeff

idea.gif assimilate.gif
ConeDodger
Ok, big orders placed today.

From Kennedy Engineering:

Stage II clutch kit and 901 adapter ring

From Getty Design:

Cooler shroud 2 piece kit and fiberglass 914-6 'tin.'

From Patrick Motorsports:

Oil thermostat, oil tank, oil console, oil filler neck.

From MSDS:

914-6 headers for 3.2 with ceramic coating.

Anyone got a six muffler for sale, PM me... biggrin.gif
Trekkor
I have a nice muffler you may want.

It will need to be blasted and coated.

KT
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Aug 13 2013, 12:16 PM) *

I have a nice muffler you may want.

It will need to be blasted and coated.

KT

Trekkor,
Run it by Mark and see if he approves... Thanks. Yippee! No shipping! piratenanner.gif
ConeDodger
Well, we're getting close to putting the 3.2 six in the car. Two things are slowing the installation down, not that there isn't a whole lot of prep to do. First, McMark is on vacation, catching fish in Michigan. Second, he has a big full restoration project going on that he is trying to get out the door and over to Altissimo as quick as he can.

Since I live a couple hundred miles away, I figured I'd better shag my tail over there if I wanted any part in my own six conversion! blink.gif So, yesterday, I went over the hill to Original Customs and took the top of the 3.2 off, taped up all the holes and went at the flat surfaces with a steam cleaner. After that, a pressure washer was used to make it look like you see here. Pretty nice! biggrin.gif
At the end of the week, Getty Design will be sending out RSR finish engine 'tin' and the oil cooling ducting. The oil tank and various stuff from Patrick Motorsports is already in place and waiting for install. The Quaiffe TBD for the 915 came today. All the peices are falling into place. w00t.gif

Ahhh!!! McMark! My engine is upside down!
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 20 2013, 08:06 PM) *

Jeeeze, just flip it upside down and take a pic. Isn't that what the rotisserie is for?
rolleyes.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 20 2013, 09:19 PM) *

Jeeeze, just flip it upside down and take a pic. Isn't that what the rotisserie is for?
rolleyes.gif

first.gif av-943.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 20 2013, 09:19 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

Interesting thing about the flipped picture thing Andy. On all my Apple machines, it is right side up. It was taken with an iPhone 5. On anything PC in my house, it is upside down. Apple saying Fuch you to the PC world? WTF.gif
McMark
Somebody needs to clean my shop. icon8.gif

Engine looks good.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 21 2013, 07:10 AM) *

Somebody needs to clean my shop. icon8.gif

Engine looks good.

It actually didn't look too bad. The boys had sparks flying on an orange narrow body. It was getting an inner long kit. The yard could use some clean up. dry.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 21 2013, 07:39 AM) *

Interesting thing about the flipped picture thing Andy. On all my Apple machines, it is right side up.

Upside-down on a MacBook Pro here.

--DD
Mike Bellis
If you take the pic with your iphone, the shutter button should be on the right side of the screen. Otherwise you get an upside down pic.
ConeDodger
No picture to post yet, but I spoke with Marty at MSDS today and paid for the headers. Marty has sent them off to get ceramic coated. They should ship out to Sonoma in the next 8-10 days. Now, if Trekkor's 914-6 muffler meets standards, we have the exhaust system buttoned up.
Trekkor
I'll try to remember to snap a picture tomorrow early evening.

I don't know what it's worth $$$

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.