Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
ConeDodger
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 8 2015, 08:03 PM) *

Nice pic!

Thanks Brant... That is pretty much the way it is out here. Turn any direction and it's beautiful. The desert is a special kind of beautiful. Some don't see it but it's as big and empty as most of Colorado...
jkb944t
The 914 looks amazing as does the Z car. I restored several Z cars when I was in college to help pay for my tuition. They were a blast to drive.

I then switched to 914’s after college and have stayed with Porsches ever since.

Fun cars to enjoy!

Jeff B
falcor75
Holy crap...you already have my "attainable dream duo garage" a 914 and a 240z... I still only have ½ 914. smile.gif

Both cars looks great Cone, well done!
EdwardBlume
All Rob needs is a Chevy Monza and his dream 70's garage is complete! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 9 2015, 04:13 AM) *

All Rob needs is a Chevy Monza and his dream 70's garage is complete! biggrin.gif

Chevy Monza??? Where can I get one Rob? lol-2.gif av-943.gif
EdwardBlume
Here's a Vega. Close enough!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 9 2015, 05:57 AM) *

Here's a Vega. Close enough!

Perfect! blink.gif
ConeDodger
I had a little problem with the way the front Getty hood fit. These are the GT replica fiberglass hoods with the balsa underframe. When I originally installed them, I discovered that if I put the hood springs on the lowest setting, it wouldn't cause the hood to jump up violently. I thought that it might work. But the sides of the hood stood about 1/4" proud of the fenders. McMark suggested eliminating the springs and going with a prop or? So, I tried it. The fit is now pretty close to perfect. I like it... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
For comparison, this is from that photoshoot a couple weeks back at the Truckee River. Notice the way the hood stands up behind the headlights...
ConeDodger
I'm feeling kind of excited! Tomorrow, the car goes in to the body shop for paint on the fiberglass lids and some touch up to the rest of the car. Mostly just spots they missed when it went in for the flare paint. I had them paint both sides completely and it was understood by me and Gilbert (shop owner) that little nicks would be fixed and not just painted over. The word from Gilbert didn't trickle down. blink.gif

This is a busy collision shop and it is kind of cool that they will even work on projects such as this. Even cooler, they get excited about it! When I bring it in, they drop everything and come out to ogle it!
ConeDodger
I thought I'd get to go out and do a photo shoot while I was home this last week but virtually every time I went to take a ride in the car, it started to sprinkle. I haven't had the top on in a year or so, so I didn't want to break my topless streak... So the only time I took a ride was around the block. blink.gif

Anyway, I wanted to show off the freshly painted lids for you guys.

Do you like? biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 22 2015, 10:22 PM) *

I thought I'd get to go out and do a photo shoot while I was home this last week but virtually every time I went to take a ride in the car, it started to sprinkle. I haven't had the top on in a year or so, so I didn't want to break my topless streak... So the only time I took a ride was around the block. blink.gif

Anyway, I wanted to show off the freshly painted lids for you guys.

Do you like? biggrin.gif

drooley.gif drooley.gif

Looks good!
Cairo94507
What a beauty. Silver always looks great on our cars.
rick 918-S
Nice! Time for a photo shoot. The car has come a long way since the rock incident. I think it kind of started a rock slide... aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
Not quite time for a photo shoot. I still need to finish the interior. I've got the backpad kit, and I need enough time to put it together. (Or Mark Whitesell to spend Thanksgiving with us again) I'm not happy with the black loop carpet so that will go in favor of some grey Perlon. I called GTS Classics about some Nurburgring seats and e talked me into something else! The biggest thing though is that damned targa bar trim piece? Come on 914Rubber? sad.gif

We're going to do some more engine work, but after the interior - she's done! cheer.gif

Thanks for the kind words though! rolleyes.gif
r_towle
Didn't you buy a boxster?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 23 2015, 06:54 PM) *

Didn't you buy a boxster?

I had a Boxster 15 years ago. Sold it and bought the Bumblebee Racer. Both gone now. Thinking about a Cayman R but Yopu is thinking about a Cayenne GTS. blink.gif
ConeDodger
I had an idea but for some reason, I can't find a picture of it. I've searched Armando's site and I know that most GT's didn't feature these but I'd love to have an option since I have two good sets of door handles. Does anyone know a source for a picture of drilled door handles? My idea is to drill a set and then have Ogden Chrome rechrome them. It's just an option like the RSR wheels and full polish street wheels I have for the car now...
john77
This looks great. I'm slowly heading towards flares with my car, it's silver too. Can it start getting quite pricey once you factor in the cost of the flares, paint, wheels, rocker panels... (did I miss anything?).
siverson
> start getting quite pricey once you factor in the cost of the flares, paint, wheels, rocker panels

Just... engine, ECU, transmission, axles, brakes, master cyl, pedals, chassis reinforcement, shocks, springs, struts, torsion bars, bushings, carpet, seats, rubber, hardware.

smile.gif

-Steve
john77
QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 27 2015, 05:46 PM) *

> start getting quite pricey once you factor in the cost of the flares, paint, wheels, rocker panels

Just... engine, ECU, transmission, axles, brakes, master cyl, pedals, chassis reinforcement, shocks, springs, struts, torsion bars, bushings, carpet, seats, rubber, hardware.

smile.gif

-Steve

My car has most of that stuff already smile.gif. I just want the extra rubber for AX, so flares, and all the stuff that goes with them, are on the to do list.
ConeDodger
Alright, stay on task.

Pictures of the drilled door handles? dry.gif
Dave_Darling
The Max Moritz GT had them. Or at least, it did in the mid-2000s.

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/88695283

The handles were blacked-out and drilled.

--DD
Zimms
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 27 2015, 07:43 PM) *

I had an idea but for some reason, I can't find a picture of it. I've searched Armando's site and I know that most GT's didn't feature these but I'd love to have an option since I have two good sets of door handles. Does anyone know a source for a picture of drilled door handles? My idea is to drill a set and then have Ogden Chrome rechrome them. It's just an option like the RSR wheels and full polish street wheels I have for the car now...

Ralph Meaney 914-6 GT

RM After Resto
ConeDodger
Thanks! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
I drove my car to the range the other day. Every day I'm home I shoot at least 100 rounds. When I got done, I went outside and found this. 1972 Jensen SV. 440 6 Pack. It was a little rough but it ran well. A little Outback Rocket!
ConeDodger
Thanks Dave!
ConeDodger
Ways! I think I found my Monza!
ConeDodger
So there's a big Zone 7 PCA weekend in Reno and I decided to enter the 914 in he Concours. I am at work in Berkeley so I had to ask my daughters boyfriend to clean it up and detail it...

He calls me all grossed out and says he found a rat in the engine compartment. He looked for chewed up wires but nada...

We decided to name the little guy Da Spoodster since he reminds me so much of a car I saw a picture of... dry.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 23 2015, 03:23 PM) *

Ways! I think I found my Monza!

Right on! aktion035.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 4 2015, 10:59 PM) *

So there's a big Zone 7 PCA weekend in Reno and I decided to enter the 914 in he Concours. I am at work in Berkeley so I had to ask my daughters boyfriend to clean it up and detail it...

He calls me all grossed out and says he found a rat in the engine compartment. He looked for chewed up wires but nada...

We decided to name the little guy Da Spoodster since he reminds me so much of a car I saw a picture of... dry.gif

You thought you smelled a rat? You DID smell a rat!
ConeDodger
I spend so much time in California that I seldom have time to attend events in my home region. As I was leaving last Wednesday for Berkeley, I noticed that my home region was having a Concours on Sunday. I'm not usually a Concours guy in fact I find them a little annoying with their look down their nose attitudes sometimes but what the heck, I entered.

Oh, and I won! first.gif
ConeDodger
Got a trophy and everything! cheer.gif first.gif
EdwardBlume
Nice work!
tscrihfield
Rob,
That is because your car is freaking fantastic! Good work! aktion035.gif

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 6 2015, 04:50 PM) *

I spend so much time in California that I seldom have time to attend events in my home region. As I was leaving last Wednesday for Berkeley, I noticed that my home region was having a Concours on Sunday. I'm not usually a Concours guy in fact I find them a little annoying with their look down their nose attitudes sometimes but what the heck, I entered.

Oh, and I won! first.gif

ConeDodger
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Sep 6 2015, 07:04 PM) *

Rob,
That is because your car is freaking fantastic! Good work! aktion035.gif

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 6 2015, 04:50 PM) *

Oh, and I won! first.gif

Thanks! Those Concours Weenies can sure keep you humble though! One of them pointed out to me that I have gravel in my fiberglass rockers on both sides of the car. Then lamented that he could not take off points for that. I said, that's Thunderhill gravel as if I was proud of it. I don't think he was amused... blink.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 6 2015, 01:50 PM) *

Oh, and I won! first.gif

Rob, that's a nice respectable win for your 914 !
Yours and McMark's hard work paying off biggrin.gif
Is that lawn green or what? Mine used to look like that before the drought and twice a week watering sad.gif
Marty

Cairo94507
Way to go! Congratulations.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 6 2015, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 6 2015, 01:50 PM) *

Oh, and I won! first.gif

Rob, that's a nice respectable win for your 914 !
Yours and McMark's hard work paying off biggrin.gif
Is that lawn green or what? Mine used to look like that before the drought and twice a week watering sad.gif
Marty

That's Gubmint lawn Marty... shades.gif Washoe County Public Parks. They water it daily. Maybe even twice daily... blink.gif
ConeDodger
Yopu and our daughter dearest get into the act...
JRust
Congrats Rob
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 6 2015, 11:32 PM) *

Congrats Rob

Thanks Jamie!
Mike Bellis
Congrats on the win and the photography. Not a single trash can in any of those pictures. first.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 7 2015, 12:59 AM) *

Congrats on the win and the photography. Not a single trash can in any of those pictures. first.gif

Huh... You're right! Where's Ways? He'll Photoshop them in for me! evilgrin.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 7 2015, 01:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 7 2015, 12:59 AM) *

Huh... You're right! Where's Ways? He'll Photoshop them in for me! evilgrin.gif

Rob
Nice win smilie_pokal.gif
We all want to grow up to be just like you??? happy11.gif
Tom
Cracker
...very clean car - congratulations!

Tony
ConeDodger
Thanks guys! Yopu says we have to go back today because the picture of her and Samantha didn't turn out mad.gif
ndfrigi
Read almost all the pages last night of your thread and an amazing car that is a driver while doing upgrades and not letting it sit in a long period of time on jack stands.

Congratulation and indeed a nice car to win on a show!

rick 918-S
Nice! first.gif
r_towle
Mark deserves a lot of credit for that , well done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.