Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
ConeDodger
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 3 2011, 05:00 PM) *

I'd just like to say I hate you and never want to talk to you again dry.gif

Okay, in all honesty, this is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while aktion035.gif

Now, I will be sure to take a few great shots of your car near some classy garbage cans at the WCR. happy11.gif

Rob, you sure do have some cool toys drooley.gif

Bovey doesn’t seem to hang out here much anymore but I wanted him to know, my old photographer has been getting hired for more shoots recently! happy11.gif av-943.gif
Mike Bellis
piratenanner.gif
Finally another garbage can pic!!!
ConeDodger
Those of you who’ve been following this thread know some of the history behind this next little mod. When I built the Raby kit motor the programmable EFI had the option to add a Check Engine light. McMark came up with the idea to take the Fasten Seat Belt lens and mod it to say Check Engine. It was a cool little detail.

But now, with the ‘89 Carrera motor attached to its DME injection, there isn’t a CEL option.

What to do?

I saw three options. First, leave it alone. Second, remove it and re-do the dash basket weave. Third, change what the light says... happy11.gif

Here’s the first modification if you guys don’t recall, and remember, it’s totally functional.
ConeDodger
Those of you who know me personally know that I’m not a really serious guy unless the situation is life or death, and since I’m retired, I’m not dealing with that much anymore.

I want to thank McMark again for the original idea, and Garold Shaffer for supplying the new lens.

I still need to put another coat of paint on this after the first coat completely drys and contracts, and plastic polish the red to make it shine again.

I will somehow make the light functional to freak out the innocent! evilgrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 19 2018, 03:28 PM) *

Those of you who know me personally know that I’m not a really serious guy unless the situation is life or death, and since I’m retired, I’m not dealing with that much anymore.

I want to thank McMark again for the original idea, and Garold Shaffer for supplying the new lens.

I still need to put another coat of paint on this after the first coat completely drys and contracts, and plastic polish the red to make it shine again.

I will somehow make the light functional to freak out the innocent! evilgrin.gif

On point , now you just need the blow-off roof hatch...like that one on the Barrett Jackson nitrous 914 ! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 19 2018, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 19 2018, 03:28 PM) *

On point , now you just need the blow-off roof hatch...like that one on the Barrett Jackson nitrous 914 ! biggrin.gif

Marty, you have the best ideas! lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
And polished...
Mueller
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 21 2018, 01:37 PM) *

And polished...

I'd mount a solenoid to the underside of the seat so when you push the button it smacks the seat for extra effect!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 21 2018, 06:41 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 21 2018, 01:37 PM) *

And polished...

I'd mount a solenoid to the underside of the seat so when you push the button it smacks the seat for extra effect!

Ooo! blink.gif you are evil Mike! Let’s do it!
Krieger
av-943.gif Nice touch! How did you get the lettering on there? I want one.
914forme
While your driving a bass shaker might as well drive the sound track of an ejection seat deployment. It is only a short burst, though I would not add the smoke generator as that might hinder your view of their face. Though your sense of smell you might tell that they stromberg.gif their pants.

Enjoy your new found fun.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 21 2018, 09:22 PM) *

av-943.gif Nice touch! How did you get the lettering on there? I want one.

Andy,
I gently sanded the 75 - 76 FASTEN SEAT BELT lens from the dash until the lettering disappears. Then, I took the blank lens to a trophy shop and had them engrave the EJECTION SEAT lettering. Finally, I painted the face of the lens. When it dries, I gently sand on Emory cloth again. One more coat of paint, one more sanding. Finally plastic polish.
EdwardBlume
Nice work! You spelled it right and everything... smilie_pokal.gif
McMark
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Jan 22 2018, 08:31 AM) *

av-943.gif

To be fair, the only word I've seen Rob misspell is Pedal/Peddle. tongue.gif
falcor75
Passenger: Whats that switch for?
Rob: Try it..
Passenger: flips the switch.
Sign lights upp and a beeping signal sounds.
Beep Beep Beep Beep
<Thud> as the solenoid hits the base of the seat...
Passenger face: icon8.gif

Rob: first.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jan 22 2018, 11:00 AM) *

Passenger: Whats that switch for?
Rob: Try it..
Passenger: flips the switch.
Sign lights upp and a beeping signal sounds.
Beep Beep Beep Beep
<Thud> as the solenoid hits the base of the seat...
Passenger face: icon8.gif

Rob: first.gif

See! The Swedish appreciate my sick humor! Could be because I’m Norwegian and Swedish myself? evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 22 2018, 10:48 AM) *

av-943.gif

Mark’s mother Kathy is a retired teacher. He got a head start on the whole spelling thing! biggrin.gif
Rand
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 22 2018, 05:48 AM) *

av-943.gif

At least he didn't bring "petals" into pedaling or selling. Leave that to Yopu and the bath salts.

ConeDodger
And installed! Now to get a shaker solenoid! evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
Oh, and while I was at the warehouse, I snapped a picture of one of Zach's 917 shifter knobs... Mine! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
So the next project is drilled door handles. I’m sure the race teams back in the 1970’s did this just to do the 10/10ths thing. I actually did a before and after weight and each side loses .385# so just a little more than 3/4# total! blink.gif So obviously, I’m doing it for authenticity to the GT.
This one was for practice. It has a broken tab and I will not be using it. The actual pair that I’m using will be drilled then disassembled And sent to Ogden Chrome for show chrome. Should be pretty cool! evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
All drilled up... OH MY GOD THEY'RE LIGHT!!! av-943.gif
ConeDodger
So a bit of a slip up. A year or two back, I procured a Carrera speedo to use with the 915 McMark prepared for the car. For the sake of realism, I had North Hollywood Speedometer put the silver button on it and adjust the miles so the one seemlessly replaced the other. Why is this important? Well my car has relatively low miles and in Nevada if you have classic plates you must fill out a mileage declaration every year. You are limited to 5000 miles. So I dutifully fill out my form and go to DMV Wednesday and wait 5 1/2 hours. When it’s my turn, the DMV gal tells me “ you’ve got less miles.” Her expression didn’t change the entire time I was there. Literally frozen in an irritated scowl. I look at my form and it says 79131. I look at the picture on my phone of the old speedo from the 4 cylinder from last year and sure as shit, 79161. mad.gif
I explain, she doesn’t care. Obviously she’s discovered a crime. I ask for a supervisor and he comes over and sends her on a break. Issues tabs, says he can see what happened from the pictures. Next day, I get a call. You have to bring the car in to the emissions lab for an inspection.
Nope. Don’t mess with a guy who has a house in Sacramento and a house in Nevada!
Off to Truckee today for new Black and Yellow California plates. I wanted blue and yellow but apparently not enough people got on board so they didn’t do them.
I still have to go back for a VIN inspection but they couldn’t have been nicer in Truckee!
ConeDodger
I have never been happy with my assembly of my "Hockey Puck" horn button that I got from 914Rubber.com. (your assembly may be perfect) The leather center piece keeps falling off and dropping to the floor, luckily not blowing away because I seldom do top-on driving with my car.
I took it back apart and got rid of the foam Mark supplies and got some very thin fiberboard from my upholstery shop friend Bill. We cut it to the proper disc size and then using some headliner padding he had laying around we glued the headliner padding to the fiberboard and the leather to the padding. The result is perfect. It looks like it will never come out again. We will see! Anyway, enjoy!
tygaboy
Rob - That looks really nice!

(And I can't resist: " Me so horny..." poke.gif )
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 19 2018, 08:00 PM) *

Rob - That looks really nice!

(And I can't resist: " Me so horny..." poke.gif )

Chris!!! av-943.gif lol-2.gif
Larmo63
I think that the door handles are going to look really great!!!

smilie_pokal.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 19 2018, 08:24 PM) *

I think that the door handles are going to look really great!!!

smilie_pokal.gif

I hope so Lawrence. They are at Ogden chrome for a little perfectionating! evilgrin.gif
jeff
They look great, this is one of my favorite cars on here, looks really cool, it’s got to be a rocket.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jeff @ May 20 2018, 01:26 AM) *

They look great, this is one of my favorite cars on here, looks really cool, it’s got to be a rocket.

Thank you sir... you are too kind. rolleyes.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 27 2018, 01:41 PM) *

And installed! Now to get a shaker solenoid! evilgrin.gif

I want mine to say, "EJECTION SEAT ARMED". Start the car. Hit a button that turns on the armed light. Look at my passenger with a wry smile and ask, "ready to go"? Not many people like riding in my 914 and maybe this will deter them even more. av-943.gif
rick 918-S
Stickittodamaniosis aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 20 2018, 10:24 PM) *

Stickittothemoniosis aktion035.gif

blink.gif confused24.gif
ConeDodger

WTF Rick?
bigkensteele
Rob, where did you buy your leather and trim ring?
mlindner
ConeDodger, great looking car and attention to detail. very cool. Mark
Rand
Rick doesn't always spell well, but I've learned to listen to what he has to say. I confess though, I don't know what moniosis is, beyond some fun anagrams.

We could speculate... moan in your oasis?
ConeDodger
914rubber.com sells them Ken...
EdwardBlume
I hope it doesn't whistle like a kazoo at 120 mph. Nice work!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ May 22 2018, 06:57 AM) *

I hope it doesn't whistle like a kazoo at 120 mph. Nice work!

???? blink.gif

I would never do 120MPH! That would be illegal! evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
After getting the quote from Ogden Chrome, I can assure you, these will be the most expensive door handles in 914 history... blink.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 21 2018, 01:17 PM) *

blink.gif confused24.gif

From the School of Rock.

It's what happens when you have a way around someone with situation power like the DMV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctTSLWXE58o

BTW Rob that move was so punk rock! aktion035.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 25 2018, 07:48 PM) *

After getting the quote from Ogden Chrome, I can assure you, these will be the most expensive door handles in 914 history... blink.gif

They're also the best you can get - that's why you went there. Our shop was 5 min. away, we dealt with them for our customers and never had a complaint. You'll be pleased with the results smilie_pokal.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 28 2018, 05:00 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 25 2018, 07:48 PM) *

They're also the best you can get - that's why you went there. Our shop was 5 min. away, we dealt with them for our customers and never had a complaint. You'll be pleased with the results smilie_pokal.gif

Not my first go-round with them. This bumper was one of Original Customs creations. Actually, it was for a different customer. That customer bailed and Mark asked me if I wanted to step in. I did and here is the result... evilgrin.gif

I know others are doing this now, but I think McMark's might be the first. Anyway, he loves Ogden Chrome and I'll stick with them. I'm even tempted to have the rear redone??? blink.gif
ConeDodger
Opened my iPad this morning and saw this! Had to grab it! wub.gif
sixnotfour
one of the best pics you have ever taken,,,,,
ConeDodger
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 8 2018, 03:01 PM) *

And no garbage cans! av-943.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 8 2018, 04:01 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 8 2018, 03:01 PM) *

And no garbage cans! av-943.gif

Oh damn...

Here come the photoshoppers! mad.gif
ConeDodger
I was just asked in a PM for Bumblebee Racer pictures. I’m sure others will have pics as well. As conversions go, it’s one of the more famous, or infamous I guess...

It taught a few people about Motormeister!

Here you go aircooledfool...
ConeDodger
Here’s a couple more... evilgrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.