Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
ConeDodger
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 7 2015, 11:47 AM) *

Mark deserves a lot of credit for that , well done.

Mark was thanked and paid and continues to be thanked with that banner on my windshield. But the credit for a concours win? I don't think so. I spent 10 hours with a clay bar and polishers getting the car ready. Then, my daughter's boyfriend spent another 6 hours. Mark's work on this car was mechanical except for the flares.
theleschyouknow
beautiful car! congrats on the win and the accomplishment of building a great car in general
but those door handles ... barf.gif they don't do it for me
mho only but it looks like a three year old drilled them out
beerchug.gif
cjl
ConeDodger
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Sep 7 2015, 02:49 PM) *

beautiful car! congrats on the win and the accomplishment of building a great car in general
beerchug.gif
cjl

I agree. That particular example of drilled door handles is not a particularly good execution. I have two sets of door handles so if I don't like the look, I just go back. But, I am also sending them to Ogden for rechroming after the drilling.

I think this one is a better execution. Better for you? Ogden Chrome will do a much better job than that though...
theleschyouknow
definitely a better example but still not doing it for me
however it's your car dwyw and if our paths ever cross and those are on your car I will compliment them and tell you they're badass!
beerchug.gif
cjl
ConeDodger
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Sep 7 2015, 04:06 PM) *

definitely a better example but still not doing it for me
however it's your car dwyw and if our paths ever cross and those are on your car I will compliment them and tell you they're badass!
beerchug.gif
cjl

Understood. And appreciated.
McMark
Congratulations on winning the car washing competition! poke.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 7 2015, 05:17 PM) *

lol-2.gif av-943.gif Ha! I knew that was coming. See you tomorrow... w00t.gif

For those of you who have read the whole thread, that was a demeaning look... dry.gif
theleschyouknow
ok so I just read thru the whole thread smilie_pokal.gif
put whatever f-ing door handles you want on that thing hell rig up some bailing wire (run thru a grommet of course) that car is badass!!
beerchug.gif
cjl
ConeDodger
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Sep 8 2015, 11:08 PM) *

ok so I just read thru the whole thread smilie_pokal.gif
put whatever f-ing door handles you want on that thing hell rig up some bailing wire (run thru a grommet of course) that car is badass!!
beerchug.gif
cjl

Thank you sir! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Got a couple of the "GT Elements" installed today...

Front. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Rear... drooley.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 7 2015, 05:17 PM) *

aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
Thanks to Jeff Hines for making the hood pin pads. Thanks to Eric Shea for the sources for the rear deck hold downs and the 356 hubcap emblem. Thanks to Mark DeBernardi for reminding me that when Hans and Franz installed this stuff at the factory, they didn't overthink it. I was on my way to W A Y overthinking it... blink.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 7 2015, 11:33 AM) *

QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Sep 7 2015, 02:49 PM) *

beerchug.gif
cjl

I agree. That particular example of drilled door handles is not a particularly good execution. I have two sets of door handles so if I don't like the look, I just go back. But, I am also sending them to Ogden for rechroming after the drilling.

I think this one is a better execution. Better for you? Ogden Chrome will do a much better job than that though...

That's my door handle,, The chrome is excellent, I don't know who took the dirty picture.. any how Ralph meaney did the black ones and I know Ralph pretty well , so I thought I would make em a bit more precise and chrome... Unique for sure beerchug.gif
[url=http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/other_porsche_9146gt_race_cars_sn9140432143_jon_lowes_hines_fini]

pic before it went green
ConeDodger
Nice Jeff! biggrin.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 19 2015, 09:15 PM) *

Rear... drooley.gif

Hi Rob,
You need a Rear Fog Light for more concourse bling. rolleyes.gif
Eric has one. happy11.gif
Tom
ConeDodger
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Oct 20 2015, 01:13 PM) *

Rear... drooley.gif

Hi Rob,
Tom

That's next TBlizz! biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
How about some period correct curb scrapers? idea.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 21 2015, 09:05 AM) *

How about some period correct curb scrapers? idea.gif

No... dry.gif
ConeDodger
Finally got around to measuring this up and drilling the holes. I work too much!!! blink.gif

Now I just have to put on the VW Porsche 914-6 emblem and the rear Garvey light! lol-2.gif
jeff
Looks really nice in silver, the wheels look perfect...!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jeff @ Oct 28 2015, 12:08 AM) *

Looks really nice in silver, the wheels look perfect...!

Harvey Weidman is the wheel guru! pray.gif
ConeDodger
It's a beautiful day in Northern Nevada. About 50 degrees and sunshine. I took the car for a drive to evaluate a possible drive to Medford, though, I may have to trailer it as I might have too many people going.
My last trip out with it was in October before the snow and I took it up the hill to Tahoe (about 12 miles). For a while on that trip, I had a 911SC trailing me. Then, he backed off.
Today, my first stop was Costco to get some nitrogen in my tires. As I was chatting with the manager, an older guy walks up and says " hey, I chased you up Mt. Rose Highway last year. I lost my nerve though and had to slow down. That thing really handles! You don't even touch your brakes!" Great guy. Retired and a PCA member but doesn't do events. We're getting together to look over his SC later today...
Spring is coming my friends! driving.gif
JRust
Nice Rob! I'm thinking of driving mine to work tomorrow. Supposed to be a gorgeous day
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 27 2015, 02:10 PM) *

Finally got around to measuring this up and drilling the holes. I work too much!!! blink.gif

Now I just have to put on the VW Porsche 914-6 emblem and the rear Garvey light! lol-2.gif

Oh, it never ends...

You'll also need either a 1970-1971 rear bumper—or a GT bumper—now that you're getting all those details right back there. biggrin.gif

Great to see you on Saturday, Rob!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 9 2016, 12:20 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 27 2015, 02:10 PM) *

Oh, it never ends...

You'll also need either a 1970-1971 rear bumper—or a GT bumper—now that you're getting all those details right back there. biggrin.gif

Great to see you on Saturday, Rob!

lol-2.gif I'm realizing that the details never end Pete... I ordered the emblem from AA today and then realized I should have checked with Rich Bontempi and I could probably have picked it up personally.

Your car looks amazing Pete! I'm serious about the seats too. PM me if you want to sell them. As I said in that RGruppe thread, too bad they made you leave for driving a 914 av-943.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 8 2016, 11:33 PM) *

Nice Rob! I'm thinking of driving mine to work tomorrow. Supposed to be a gorgeous day

driving.gif look they made a little bald Jamie emoticon!!! av-943.gif lol-2.gif drive it J-Man!
ConeDodger
So I have finally captured the elusive 914-6 VW Porsche emblem and it is the real deal. One of the differences between the real and reproduction is that the real one has a part number on the back.

I am kind of liking the gold, so spray chrome may not happen. Of course, I'll need to replace the engine lid letters with gold.
ConeDodger
Here is a shot of the part number molded in the back...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Oct 20 2015, 01:13 PM) *

Rear... drooley.gif

Hi Rob,
Tom

Tom, you'll be glad to know that Jeff Bowlsby has agreed to make me a wire harness for the rear fog light. That is one of the last things I need to install the rear fog light or "Garvey Light" as has become to be known... rolleyes.gif
Harvey Weidman
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 27 2016, 10:55 AM) *
I am kind of liking the gold, so spray chrome may not happen. Of course, I'll need to replace the engine lid letters with gold.

I thought the engine lid lettering was a USA thing?
Maybe leave them off when you install the VW-6 emblem?
Just to throw a wrench in the works. biggrin.gif
H
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Harvey Weidman @ Mar 27 2016, 02:21 PM) *

H

Harvey! Is that true? You'd be one of the people who know. Harvey Weidman everyone. Proprietor of Weidman Wheels who started out in the parts department at Sierra Porsche-Audi in So-Cal. biggrin.gif which by the way, is where my 914 was originally sold!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Harvey Weidman @ Mar 27 2016, 02:21 PM) *

H

Just spent (wasted) an evening looking at every picture I could find. Looks to me like the Euro cars did have the P O R S C H E letters on the engine lid. I wonder if any of our Euro members can confirm this?
ConeDodger
Searching Armando's site, I can't find a single real GT with engine lid lettering. Perhaps they removed it as unnecessary weight?
raynekat
Here's another data point for no Porsche lettering on the engine lid of Euro 914's.

http://www.p914.com/p914_badges_letters.htm

Oh and BTW....your car does look great.

You may find that your 914-6 VW Porsche badge gets really close to your rear deck lid bungee.
Harvey Weidman
I told you I was throwing a wrench into the werks..... biggrin.gif
As I remember there was something to do with the franchise agreement in the ROW.
And BTW...... your car does look great.
H
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Harvey Weidman @ Mar 28 2016, 06:13 PM) *

I told you I was throwing a wrench into the werks..... biggrin.gif
As I remember there was something to do with the franchise agreement in the ROW.
And BTW...... your car does look great.
H

Thanks Harvey! It does appear to be true though. Best information I can find, only badging on the Euro models is the rear badge.
Mike Bellis
You can strip the gold and expose the silver with easy off oven cleaner.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 29 2016, 12:46 AM) *

You can strip the gold and expose the silver with easy off oven cleaner.

I actually like the gold once I've seen it on the car Mike. biggrin.gif
914Sixer
European cars NEVER had letters on the engine grill.
ConeDodger
A little before and after. First with the PORSCHE letters on the engine lid, then off... I like it! rolleyes.gif
ConeDodger
I had a little more of that golden garage time today. Pretty rare for me. I'm gone half the time working in another state so...

But today, I decided that holy grail of an unobtainium emblem should go on the car. So, First, I made a template that fits between the 356 hubcap emblem that replaces the trunk release button, and the taillight lens. I then drew a line centered top to bottom and another two that center the emblem side-to-side. Then, you simply push the pins through the cardboard to give you a template for drilling the holes.
ConeDodger
Then, once you've drilled the holes, you put the emblem in place and put the speed nuts in place to hold the emblem.
ConeDodger
Yes, we will be fixing the holes from the old 914 2.0 emblem blink.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 12 2016, 04:29 PM) *

Then, once you've drilled the holes, you put the emblem in place and put the speed nuts in place to hold the emblem.

Hi Rob,
Wow, I like the gold emblem, but it's going to clash with the Chrome Rear Fog Light w00t.gif
Tom
ConeDodger
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Apr 12 2016, 05:09 PM) *

Hi Rob,
Wow, I like the gold emblem, but it's going to clash with the Chrome Rear Fog Light w00t.gif
Tom

Maybe I should gold plate the fog light! biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
If your plugging holes , you may want to change your rubber hold downs ..
beerchug.gif welder.gif
ConeDodger
Is that what you told Erc too Jeff???
sixnotfour
He didn't say he was going to fill old holes cheer.gif slap.gif

Both made up and factory GT's used both the longer and the shorter, I figured you have the opportunity to make your new Gold more visible.... beerchug.gif

the other ones are about 1/2 inch shorter..

Or do what Ralph M did..
TJB/914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 12 2016, 05:11 PM) *

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Apr 12 2016, 05:09 PM) *

Hi Rob,
Tom

Maybe I should gold plate the fog light! biggrin.gif

Rob,
You need to join the Kool Kids Fog Light Club rolleyes.gif w00t.gif
Tom flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.