Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
JStroud
Sounds great Rob, excellent job Mark. Was hoping to make it over to see the start up, but my son came by Saturday and was racing at prairie city on Sunday, so ended up going and watching him race.

Good luck with the new motor on the 19th
Jeff
rick 918-S
That engine sounds like a torque monster! Clear clean pull! Nice!
ConeDodger
Just home after 155 mile trip from Mark's shop... Still really pretty charged up about this!

A couple of notes. The guys who have been suggesting dyno tuning have a very good point. For the first tuning run on the road we went out to a loop just in to Napa County (Mark is in Sonoma County) and did several laps of the loop. I didn't think we were going that fast but the exhaust is a bit loud as you can hear in the video. We decided to head back to the shop apparently just in time. As I turned the corner by Mark's shop a CHP cruiser was turning to head out to that 'loop' sad.gif

That first run with MAP tuning was probably an exercise in pure frustration for Mark as it was lean or rich - lean or rich... Even though it seemed to run fine, the wide band O2 gauge was pretty lean on tip in and rich in a lot of other places.

The last run of the day, after using Dave Hunt's suggestion and putting a welding tip in line between the common plenum and the MAP was VERY NICE and we are pretty encouraged that this will be a good starting point for tuning with MAP.

Thanks to Mark for a great couple of days!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rwilner @ Nov 7 2011, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 7 2011, 09:31 PM) *

Here is a video from earlier in the day where we encountered what everyone said we would see. Serious oscillation in the MAP sensor readings. After this run we installed a welding wire tip in the line and things got really nice. I expected to have to do this (it's been mentioned by most people who've done EFI Type IVs)

Mark
Do you expect I'll have to do the same on my stock EFI conversion? Do you have a pic of this?

I'm not Mark of course, but if I recall your thread correctly you will still be using the stock plenum and throttle body? If so, I wouldn't think you would have huge vacuum fluctuations. I wonder though how much vacuum you'll be making. The problems with using MAP if I understand it come from the Individual Runner manifolds and the multiple throttle plates opening at the same time while the cam is opening and closing valves at different times for each of the individual throttle plates. The vacuum at tip-in is all over the place. Again, if I recall correctly you will have only one throttle plate and a common plenum.
You are also using a system Mark has come up with. I am still getting a grasp on the SDS but it seems I can run MAP or TPS but not a blend of each. I think your system probably runs a blend.
Mark is a good sport. I don't think he is SDS's biggest fan. I am having my doubts too though. I would love to run a blend of TPS, MAP, and closed loop. I guess if it could do that they would call is CDS instead for Complex Digital Systems. dry.gif
McMark
Rich, you probably won't have to. Rob's got it right. With individual throttle bodies, Rob has what equates to a 160mm/6.25" throttle body. With four throttle plates, he's got a huge change in air flow by even the smallest throttle movement. Couple that with a cam that's built for power and not vacuum signal and you've got a recipe for a MAP signal that is pulsing like crazy.

You've got a ~45mm/1.75" throttle body and a cam that's designed to have decent performance while giving great vacuum signal to the FI (so the normal people who buy those 914s new actually enjoy them). That smaller throttle body means less air flow at WOT, but also means great low speed modulation. Think how much more air is flowing a 5 degrees of opening in 160mm vs 45mm, and you'll see why the smaller throttle body makes great sense for a 'street engine' where you're throttle position spends more time <50% of throttle opening.

For reference, this is what a MIG welding tip looks like. It's simply an obstruction with a small hole in to modulate changes in vacuum, and anything could be used (aluminum rod with a drilled hole, a carb jet, a drilled plastic BB, etc). In a way, it introduces a 'lag' or slowdown of changes in vacuum, so you get a sort of averaging effect. Much better than having the MAP sensor report every peak and valley in the signal, and having the FI trying to keep up with that.

IPB Image
McMark
Here's an out-of-order update. The last part of the custom wiring harness was building our own relay board harness which would be compatible with the new coil location. That yellow wire needs some help, but I didn't have large gauge yellow wire here at the shop, so we made due for now.
DNHunt
The last run of the day, after using Dave Hunt's suggestion and putting a welding tip in line between the common plenum and the MAP was VERY NICE and we are pretty encouraged that this will be a good starting point for tuning with MAP.

I suggested this but it was Jake's idea in the first place.

Dave
jmill
Love this thread. Great progress and in car cam. If it were me I'd be wearing an Enzyte smile for weeks.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Nov 8 2011, 08:13 AM) *

I suggested this but it was Jake's idea in the first place.

Dave

We were just citing our source. Thanks for citing yours. That welding tip and the integration of the stock AAR were very appreciated and I want you to know your input has been very valuable. Thanks Dave... biggrin.gif
rwilner
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 8 2011, 10:46 AM) *

it introduces a 'lag' or slowdown of changes in vacuum, so you get a sort of averaging effect.

Interesting. Other ways to do this:

1) Place a capacitor (or a proper RC filter in low-pass filter configuration) on the output of the MAP signal to the ECU. If you did build an RC filter, you could use a potentiometer for the "r" and tune it till you got it where you like it.

2) MegaSquirt / MicroSquirt has a configurable "averaging / lag" factor on all analog inputs. This parameter will average the number of digital samples of the analog signal you specify, and output this average to the controller. It will repeat this averaging function every fixed cycle, so you can tell it to send the average of every 5 or 50 samples. The effect is exactly the same as the RC filter or welding tip trick -- it filters out the high frequency stuff. Not sure if SDS has this also, might be something else to try.

Randal
Oh forgot something that we went through after installing the motor (post dyno) in 222.

The brand new stock clutch and pressure plate assembly didn't last the first five minutes. Actually it was toast before the end of the driveway at Paul's shop.

End up going with a Kennedy PP that works with up to 300 lbs of torque, or close to it, and a 4 (or 5) disk clutch plate. No further issues after that change.

Oh, forget about stock CV's as well, but think that has already been discussed.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 8 2011, 11:34 AM) *

Oh forgot something that we went through after installing the motor (post dyno) in 222.

The brand new stock clutch and pressure plate assembly didn't last the first five minutes. Actually it was toast before the end of the driveway at Paul's shop.

End up going with a Kennedy PP that works with up to 300 lbs of torque, or close to it, and a 4 (or 5) disk clutch plate. No further issues after that change.

Oh, forget about stock CV's as well, but think we already discussed that as well.

Randall, we will see about the clutch and pressure plate. It didn't have a single complaint during our tuning runs. At any rate, the next tuning challenge will be to have it ready to autocross on the 19th at Infinion. I trust you'll be there?

The really fun part is just starting! The torque is amazing... Mark drove my car last evening just about sundown and I followed in my Tahoe. At first he was babying it but then the temptation must have overwhelmed him and he was

GONE!!!
Jake Raby
Sounds like it's getting there.. I believe that I hear some part throttle oscillation thats due to the linkage. I guarantee that at part throttle around 45-60% the throttle bodies are out of synch.. If this happens you can't tune via MAP worth a damn.

I have driven 100K miles with SDS and had zero issues in my 912E, what it lacks in resolution it makes up for with simplicity. I have the system in the 2.8 liter double cab and love it after its dialed in.

Merging TPS/MAP and closed loop requires more complex systems with more complex tuning and adaptation. I have this in my 912E now and just received another system from Electromotive for the dyno cell...
MDG
Fantastic, Rob! And great to see the vids. I don't think I'd be able to sleep now that it's this close.

Mark though, eh? Typical young 'un. Here you are tuning your car and he's riding around texting his friends.

hide.gif

Seriously though, congratulations on this to both of you.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(MDG @ Nov 9 2011, 06:34 AM) *

Fantastic, Rob! And great to see the vids. I don't think I'd be able to sleep now that it's this close.

Mark though, eh? Typical young 'un. Here you are tuning your car and he's riding around texting his friends.

hide.gif

Seriously though, congratulations on this to both of you.

That's funny... That is exactly what I thought of as I watched him banging away at those keys. It's like he is texting! lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
One of the things I love about the Original Customs concept is the seamless integration of the classic with some of the more modern things newer cars have. In this case, our 914's are the classic and programmable fuel injection is the newer thing... Mark makes things that are new, look like they might have belonged back when the cars were made.

The latest Original Customs integration involves the "Check Engine" light feature of the SDS ECU. Mark's idea was to take the lens from the "Fasten Seatbelt" light found in the dashboard of the '75 and '76 914's and make it into a "Check Engine" light. Good idea right? But, how to execute this?

The lens itself comes out by simply gripping it with your fingernails and pulling. We then took 600 grit Wet/Dry paper and with the paper wet, we gently rubbed off the "Fasten Seatbelt" lettering. This paper is fine enough that it actually gave the lens a matte finish that was very acceptable for our finished product. Next, we had to get the "Check Engine" lettering onto the lens. A couple of ideas were floated including making a tiny vinyl "Check Engine" and putting it in place or having it engraved. We liked the latter idea and I went in search of an engraving shop that could do the deed. One trip to a jeweler and I had a good lead. I brought the lens down to the shop and they were more than a little excited to be involved with this little project. You see, I live in Reno now and this is the home of Hot August Nights. They get a lot of car projects at the shops about town. It only took two days before the shop called and said "it worked, come and get it." It was beautiful but we aren't done yet! A trip to AutoZone for some white touch-up paint and then home to fill the engraved letters with white paint. Finally, another pass over the 600 grit Wet/Dry and we have our "Check Engine" light lens. Now, all Mark has to do is wire the SDS ECU to the back of the old "Fasten Seatbelt" fixture in the dash and you have another fantastic Original Customs integration of the old with the new...

Pretty cool if you ask me! aktion035.gif
McMark
That looks so f-in rad!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 10 2011, 05:37 PM) *

That looks so f-in rad!

agree.gif
Dr Evil
McMark, you are one cool dude.
ConeDodger
Mark has a lot of cool ideas. I love walking around his shop and picking things up and going 'what's this?' and having him go 'oh, that's fiberglass engine tin.' SAY WHAT!!! drooley.gif I trolled eBay for months to get 2 liter engine tin and this dude just makes it!

Bottom line, ask Mark first. That's what I do now...
Mike Bellis
Very nice touch! wub.gif
Dr Evil
I keep trying to get Mark and Scotty together. Then I would know where I want to live wink.gif
McMark
Scotty should move out here. I could use the help and the awesome talent.
Dr Evil
I know, Mark. You two would be famous and he would love Sonoma. We need to get him out there for a visit smile.gif
jmill
Nice light. If you spray it with clear it'll look shiney again. You just have to make sure the clear coat likes the white paint.
Randal
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 10 2011, 05:05 PM) *

Mark has a lot of cool ideas. I love walking around his shop and picking things up and going 'what's this?' and having him go 'oh, that's fiberglass engine tin.' SAY WHAT!!! drooley.gif I trolled eBay for months to get 2 liter engine tin and this dude just makes it!

Bottom line, ask Mark first. That's what I do now...

EVen some old ideas:

Click to view attachment
McMark
I still LOVE that rear end. drooley.gif
Chris Pincetich
Hey McMark - what' that thing in your avatar pic??
shades.gif
rtalich
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 3 2011, 08:31 PM) *

This is an idea I had which I ran by McMark. He didn't shake his head and say something demeaning so I contacted Jeff Hines (sixnotfour) who quite quickly ran me up two of them with different sizes on the hose bib... This of course, takes the place of the distributor since this engine will be crank fired. Both the head vents have been plugged and we will be venting the case through here and returning any oil through the the old PCV hole in the oil console...

I cannot caution enough, do not build an engine without properly venting the case. You could blow out seals and have leaks that will be legendary! blink.gif

Where can I buy one of these?
McMark
We've got a spare one that's a smaller ID. Pm me and I'll get you the details.
Randal

OK OK so how did that monster run up at the Sacramento event at Infineon? Can't wait to hear the story.

Imagine you have no rear tires left with that big torque motor. popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 14 2011, 10:23 AM) *
OK OK so how did that monster run up at the Sacramento event at Infineon? Can't wait to hear the story.

The AX at Infineon is next weekend. Saturday the 19th ...

driving.gif
rtalich
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 11 2011, 04:52 PM) *

We've got a spare one that's a smaller ID. Pm me and I'll get you the details.

PM sent... did you get it?
ConeDodger

Randal's 222 is so fast he time travels!!! Bring that beast up Randal! biggrin.gif
McMark
Yeah come AX Randal!
ConeDodger
I think we should take the damned place over with 914's! w00t.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 14 2011, 09:17 PM) *

Do they have room for that many jack stands? confused24.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Nov 14 2011, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 14 2011, 09:17 PM) *

Do they have room for that many jack stands? confused24.gif

Oh SNAP!!! It's always the quiet ones you don't expect it from! blink.gif
Randal
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 14 2011, 09:14 PM) *

Randal's 222 is so fast he time travels!!! Bring that beast up Randal! biggrin.gif

That would be fun for sure. driving-girl.gif
ConeDodger
Well that was more than a little satisfying.

I went down to the OC today. Mark had done some tuning and described it as 90%. So, I reached in the open driver side window and pulled up on the E-brake and put it in neutral (with EFI you should be able to just turn the key from outside to start it right?) and gave the key a turn. She started right up and idled like a champ within a minute. (The AAR isn't closing but we will loosen that up with some penetrating oil later and see if we can work that problem out).
I let her warm up for a few minutes and then got in to go off on a drive with my new 2432 motor all on my own. All the previous drives had been with McMark riding shotgun with the tuning interface. A slow crawl through Sonoma Square with some pretty good traffic and she had perfect manners but for being a bit louder than polite folk might appreciate. I came upon a couple guys trying to cross the road in the middle of the block and I stopped to let them cross, I heard one of them say "wow! that is so clean" as I passed... Car guys I guess, they were getting into a 370Z. Out toward the Valley of the Moon I was able to jump on her a little. OMG!!! This car breaks tires loose. Not just any tire either. R Rated Victoracers! For the first time with my 914 I can throttle steer. If I want to rotate her a little in a turn, just goose the throttle and she dances her rear toward the outside of the turn.
I got back to the OC and gave my tuning complaints to Mark and he did a little WOT tuning. I'd say, 92% now.
Saturday is the big debut... Sacramento Valley Region's Infinion Autocross... We will have video so stay tuned.
By the way, Mark took a picture of the CHECK ENGINE light installed a lit up... Maybe he will post that later...
McMark
Ask and ye shall recieve.

Yeah, Rob went to get a full tank of gas and I started to get worried when he wasn't back 20 min later. After 30 min, he comes rolling back into the shop with a big grin on his face. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Thanks Mark! I hope the only time I see that lit is when I turn the key on before I start the engine! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
What a day! 36 runs between McMark and me. If the rings aren't seated they aren't going to be...
Mark has the video. This is a MUCH different car with this engine. Still light and nimble with the 4 cylinder but easy to go too fast into corners. I spent a lot of the day a bit sideways with all that power...
Mark and I were 1 and 2 for fastest 914 at the event. Probably pretty close to fastest Porsche...
rick 918-S
I can hardly wait for the video! boldblue.gif first.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 19 2011, 06:16 PM) *

I can hardly wait for the video! boldblue.gif first.gif

You'll have to wait until at least tomorrow Rick. Mark copied the SD card to his work computer and then headed back to Alison and home. I don't blame him, today is normally a day he pretty religiously spends with her. Tomorrow they both return to work.
I am in Sacramento and have no editing software on this computer. I will be here until at least Monday before returning to Reno.

It was good to see Darryl (Mach Schnell) with his real 914-6 at the event. I was surprised that both Mark and I were able to hold him off considering his two extra cylinders and the fact that he is a pretty darned good driver. Mark got him by a second and I got him by two.

Probably good that I will be in Sacramento and then Reno because Mark plans on cutting my car up on Sunday. It will be getting flares over the next week or so... Probably good because she is going to need way more tire now!!! biggrin.gif Still, I don't think I could bear to watch sad.gif
JRust
Glad to hear the motor is bringing nothing but biggrin.gif . I didn't know you were going to add flares. Very sweet drooley.gif Love flared silver & black 914's (No I am not a Raiders fan).

Congrats first.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 19 2011, 07:36 PM) *

Glad to hear the motor is bringing nothing but biggrin.gif . I didn't know you were going to add flares. Very sweet drooley.gif Love flared silver & black 914's (No I am not a Raiders fan).

Congrats first.gif

Raiders? Me either! icon8.gif Vikings first but quickly becoming a Packers fan!
ottox914
Get that darned video up!
Mike Bellis
I'm jealous! wub.gif Looks like a fun car that will be a great car soon... drooley.gif

I just hope to get mine running again before WCR.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Nov 19 2011, 07:52 PM) *

Get that darned video up!

There's actually 10 videos Dave. With 36 runs, we went through a whole 8mb SD card and ran the battery out of my GoPro! I am uploading from the SD card on to this laptop now but I doubt I can get it made into a YouTube video before you are off to bed in Wisconsin...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.