Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just another damned project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
rtalich
What is it with you two and your dislike of colors? Between you not liking the red/blue and Rob not liking the gold SDS case. If it were up to you guys everything would probably be boring silver or grey huh. smile.gif Another awesome byproduct of the DTM is that it creates a ton of space in the oil pump area. Also, the sensor for the SDS is easily accessible.
McMark
I don't hate color, there just needs to be an overall theme. Gold, red, blue, gray, black, silver, aaaaaaaaah!
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 1 2011, 05:50 PM) *

Oh, and I hate the red/blue fittings. But it's all I can get locally, and we don't have time to mail order everything. dry.gif

Yep. Those fittings are hideous. How can you live with that. Red and blue. What where you thinking. WTF.gif confused24.gif idea.gif flag.gif av-943.gif
ConeDodger
Wow! Looks like if I want to have any part of this I had better get down to Sonoma! Seriously, I have an occasional good idea but Mark has amazing vision! I see a great future for Original Customs...

Installation is everything. You can ruin a perfectly good engine in short order without a good installation. As you can see this was well thought out. We want this to look as if VW/Porsche engineered it.

Nice progress Mark! aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 1 2011, 06:19 PM) *

I don't hate color, there just needs to be an overall theme. Gold, red, blue, gray, black, silver, aaaaaaaaah!

I actually like color but this engine is all business and the less it calls attention to itself the better. I wasn't really looking for cute. Just really well engineered function... evilgrin.gif

'73-914kid
Most gun stores sell Anodizing remover if you really really want to get rid of the blue and red anodizing.. It'll take it down to bare aluminum really quickly if it's something that makes that big of a difference to the look you're trying to achieve.
ConeDodger
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Nov 1 2011, 09:57 PM) *

Most gun stores sell Anodizing remover if you really really want to get rid of the blue and red anodizing.. It'll take it down to bare aluminum really quickly if it's something that makes that big of a difference to the look you're trying to achieve.

The color thing doesn't bother me for things you can't see. That's why the ECU is under the seat. piratenanner.gif The oil fittings are under the battery tray and under the engine. Not a problem. biggrin.gif
DNHunt
That looks good you guys. Putting the coil far away from the ECU and sensor wiring is never a bad idea. One thing I liked about SDS was it never seemed to have problems with electrical noise so it may not have been an issue anyway.

One thing you guys may have to do is meter the air to the MAP sensor. I ended up with a wire feed copper welding tip in the line after the distribution block. Also, you may need to meter the airflow from the AAR. No big deal, just part of the tuning.

Dave
rwilner
Rob
Do you have plans to dyno this beast? I would love to see what you're making at the rear wheels after all is said and done (and welded and bolted and fitted and machined and and and and....).
Mike Bellis
Easy Off oven cleaner will pull the color from the anodizing.
McMark
I've been thinking about all this color stuff. It's not that I'm against color, in any way - I just want a theme. Robs car is silver with a black interior. So with all the tin powdercoated black, it's already a monochrome car. Using black fuel hose and fittings lets the ITBs stand out against the engine and the throttle bodies become the visual focus. If the fuel lines were braided steel with blue/red fittings, they would be a huge visual presence and would steal focus from the ITBs.

I would really be happy if I could find a supplier of a whole rainbow of colors for fittings and hose. Then you could really build a whole color themed car. idea.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 2 2011, 01:52 PM) *

I've been thinking about all this color stuff. It's not that I'm against color, in any way - I just want a theme. Robs car is silver with a black interior. So with all the tin powdercoated black, it's already a monochrome car. Using black fuel hose and fittings lets the ITBs stand out against the engine and the throttle bodies become the visual focus. If the fuel lines were braided steel with blue/red fittings, they would be a huge visual presence and would steal focus from the ITBs.

I would really be happy if I could find a supplier of a whole rainbow of colors for fittings and hose. Then you could really build a whole color themed car. idea.gif

monochrome would be cool...black and silver on everything.

Didnt you get a sandblasting cabinet over there????

idea.gif

Rich
ConeDodger
I don't care about color. The only purpose I can imagine is to differentiate what the line carries. There aren't that many lines and they should be obvious. I do like silicone for vacuum as it seems to last longer without cracking.

Again my main goal is to make this thing less of a color and more of a blur driving.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rwilner @ Nov 2 2011, 08:53 AM) *

Rob
Do you have plans to dyno this beast? I would love to see what you're making at the rear wheels after all is said and done (and welded and bolted and fitted and machined and and and and....).

I do plan on visiting a dyno but like Jake says, he tuned his in two trips from house to home and home to house. Mark and I will take a drive and he can play with the tuning while I give him some load variety to work with. It should be fine for the one event on the 19th of November and then it gets flares at Original Customs over the winter.

We will worry about tuning some more next spring with new RSR finish wheels and stickies... silver914.jpg
ConeDodger
The weatherproof connection that makes it all work...
McMark
Picture thief. ph34r.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 2 2011, 02:57 PM) *

Picture thief. ph34r.gif

Shut up Mark. I'll pull your ponytail! av-943.gif This page needed a picture to give it more... um, color.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 2 2011, 04:01 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 2 2011, 02:57 PM) *

Picture thief. ph34r.gif

Shut up Mark. I'll pull your ponytail! av-943.gif This page needed a picture to give it more... um, color.

agree.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
McMark
Okay enough BS. happy11.gif

Started by removing the rusted out seal channel and welding in a new one from Restoration-Design. smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Fabricated a MAP sensor mount.

Click to view attachment

Fabricated an AAR mount.

Click to view attachment

Engine goes in tomorrow! sawzall-smiley.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 2 2011, 10:20 PM) *

Gonna make a stand for the top of that unsupported coil pack ? poke.gif
McMark
If Rob wants me to, I will. I don't see the need. Three points make a plane and there is very little mass outside of the triangle formed by the mounting points to vibrate. The thing is rock solid right now. confused24.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 2 2011, 06:28 PM) *

If Rob wants me to, I will. I don't see the need. Three points make a plane and there is very little mass outside of the triangle formed by the mounting points to vibrate. The thing is rock solid right now. confused24.gif

Visually it begs for something but structurally I don't think it is needed. Quit looking at it Rich poke.gif
ConeDodger
Nice Mark! Glad I left you alone so you could work on that picky customers car today. blink.gif I guess I need to shake the trees at Summit Racing to see what happened to my VDO gauge adapter ring so the A:F Ratio gauge can go in the center console. I also should have brought you the new engine rubber gasket I got from Mark Whitesell and the Diamond Silver Metallic Paint... sad.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 2 2011, 07:30 PM) *

Nice Mark! Glad I left you alone so you could work on that picky customers car today. blink.gif I guess I need to shake the trees at Summit Racing to see what happened to my VDO gauge adapter ring so the A:F Ratio gauge can go in the center console. I also should have brought you the new engine rubber gasket I got from Mark Whitesell and the Diamond Silver Metallic Paint... sad.gif

Well that was just weird! I called Summit and said I ordered a VDO adapter ring on the 10th of October and didn't have it yet. He said, "hmm... let me see. It left Ohio on the 28th. Let me run the tracking. Ah yes. it will arrive today." I said wait!, I didn't even tell you who I am. He said, "we are like the FBI here". Then he confessed that they had caller ID that links up to order status on their computers! So that's out of the way, the adapter ring will come to Sonoma with me on Sunday Mark! biggrin.gif
McMark
It's in. sunglasses.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 3 2011, 12:28 PM) *
It's in. sunglasses.gif

That's it? No Pitchers? beer3.gif confused24.gif
ConeDodger
Ahhhhhhh! I'm on my iPhone in a restaurant and I can't open Mark or Andy's posts! sad.gif
ConeDodger
Ok... I'm home. I only ran three people off the road trying to get here quickly. dry.gif

Did you fire it up yet? biggrin.gif
McMark
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 3 2011, 12:57 PM) *

It's in. sunglasses.gif

Werkin'! tongue.gif

Should be ready to fire up Sunday afternoon. Still a lot of little crap to finish up. 80/20 rule... dry.gif
ConeDodger
Nice! evilgrin.gif

The gauge ring did show up so the A:F ratio gauge can go in the center console... It occurs to me that I should have taken the Fasten Seatbelt lens with me to have it re-engraved with Check Engine. Lots of little details. I am sure still big details too! blink.gif

This is huge progress though... biggrin.gif
horizontally-opposed
My, my...that looks cool!! drooley.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 3 2011, 04:01 PM) *

My, my...that looks cool!! drooley.gif

Thanks Pete! Lots of thinking went into it. I still remember our conversation at that drive-in in Napa from a few years back. For certain, SDS will not sample anywhere near as often as a factory fuel injection system but I kept the goal of having it more 'driveable' than carbs central in this project. Mark is great to work with. If you're willing to spend the money he has great ideas and can expand your own vision into a working reality.

montoya 73 2.0
Ah Crap! Damn it Rob and Mark, with all this talk about color & fittings with the pictures mixed in, now I'm going to have to give Mark a lot of money to build my motor. Your motor is really beautiful Rob!!!! Mark, We will have to talk soon.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Nov 3 2011, 07:28 PM) *

Ah Crap! Damn it Rob and Mark, with all this talk about color & fittings with the pictures mixed in, now I'm going to have to give Mark a lot of money to build my motor. Your motor is really beautiful Rob!!!! Mark, We will have to talk soon.

I know Drew! He sucks doesn't he evilgrin.gif
montoya 73 2.0
gayfight.gif
JStroud
That's looking awesome, might drive out Sunday and hear it run. Then I can visit my motor while I'm there. Great work Mark, makes me glad my motors in your shop

Jeff
BigDBass
Looks great! w00t.gif

Hey Rob, I'll trade you a handle-less 914 World beer mug style pencil holder for a spin in your car next time I'm in California. happy11.gif Although I'm averaging 1 trip from IL to CA every 36 years.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Nov 4 2011, 06:19 AM) *

Looks great! w00t.gif

Hey Rob, I'll trade you a handle-less 914 World beer mug style pencil holder for a spin in your car next time I'm in California. happy11.gif Although I'm averaging 1 trip from IL to CA every 36 years.

You got it Dan! Although, if you're going to take that long, I'm hoping Carrera GT's depreciate enough that I can put one in the garage... We can take a ride in that. biggrin.gif

What? It could happen! evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
We will be having a few more posts about tuning and then the topic will take a twist to plastic surgery for the car... She's getting big hips! Gonna kinda look like this one! evilgrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 3 2011, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 3 2011, 12:57 PM) *

It's in. sunglasses.gif

Werkin'! tongue.gif

Should be ready to fire up Sunday afternoon. Still a lot of little crap to finish up. 80/20 rule... dry.gif

Nice clean work Mark. Sure is nice to see everything in it's proper place, makes a huge difference.

The biggest mistake I made when removing my engine, after Paul S had done such a great job putting it in, was to remove one side of the TB's. If you do that you have to re-synchronized them once you get the motor back in and the TB's reattached. Pretty tedious job actually.
McMark
Thanks Randal (and everyone else). I'm happy with how it's turning out, and can't wait to finish up all the little bits to get cleaned up.

That's one of the glorious things about the bell-crank linkage. Takes about 10 minutes to get a perfect sync. :drool:
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 4 2011, 09:19 AM) *

Thanks Randal (and everyone else). I'm happy with how it's turning out, and can't wait to finish up all the little bits to get cleaned up.

That's one of the glorious things about the bell-crank linkage. Takes about 10 minutes to get a perfect sync. :drool:

Wasn't around when we put my engine together. So drool it is.

Off and on it took about two hours to do mine.
McMark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Riud_GI-0
McMark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI_OyO5KIMc
rick 918-S
Just like a proud papa! beerchug.gif
BigDBass
beer.gif aktion035.gif
jmill
Very nice. Revs smooth and has a bunch of pep. Great work. Now we need an in car cam of you opening that thing up beerchug.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 7 2011, 01:46 PM) *

What you wait to start it until right after I left?

Sounds good, can't wait to see it live.

Jim
McMark
Well we made some good progress tuning today. If we hadn't gotten sidetracked a couple times we could have gotten farther, but we worked out some 'bugs' and got a pretty nice tune on our last run.

Here is a video from earlier in the day where we encountered what everyone said we would see. Serious oscillation in the MAP sensor readings. After this run we installed a welding wire tip in the line and things got really nice. I expected to have to do this (it's been mentioned by most people who've done EFI Type IVs) but I wanted to see the effects before jumping ahead. I like to see a problem before I fix it. wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYRpM2lKYck
rwilner
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 7 2011, 09:31 PM) *

Here is a video from earlier in the day where we encountered what everyone said we would see. Serious oscillation in the MAP sensor readings. After this run we installed a welding wire tip in the line and things got really nice. I expected to have to do this (it's been mentioned by most people who've done EFI Type IVs)

Mark
Do you expect I'll have to do the same on my stock EFI conversion? Do you have a pic of this?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.