Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

69 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just another damned project thread, 914-6 3.2 conversion in GT dress-up
ConeDodger
post Apr 9 2011, 09:45 AM
Post #81

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 3 2011, 02:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Apr 3 2011, 03:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 2 2011, 09:43 PM) *

It doesn't seem to matter what it costs.. Our kit program is slammed until November and we only have one slot left open then for a February 2012 delivery.

To build an engine from scratch like this is a 10K+ expenditure to incklude the kit, induction, exhaust and ancillaries. In turn key form its around 13K hot off my dyno in a crate like this one, ready to run.

So you are saying that a turn key engine just like this is 13K? Thats what I am reading here. Must have missed that one on the website (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This combo isn't on the site as an advertised offering. This is a full custom build that I choose to offer to some purchasers that have cars that are properly set up for this type of power.

Yes it is expensive and it always will be.

I foresee a time when you will have to go through an interview to buy a Raby Kit. There aren't many cases of this but Jake has a hard time tolerating stupidity. By that I mean people who build it and then don't tune it correctly or don't have the proper gauges or don't use the proper oil. If it doesn't run right you should find out why, not keep driving it until you break it. Bad things usually don't get better and when something is this expensive to buy and build it just seems to be common sense to figure out what is wrong and correct it. I guess common sense isn't as common as it once was though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

My car has Elephant bushings, Tarret bar in front, adjustable Koni's, Camber bushings and sealed monoball in the suspension. All topped off with a meticulous corner balancing. My 901 has been built with a billet intermediate plate and a Guard TB unit. I have an M 3rd and S 4th gear in there and Jake would be a proud papa if I fractured that thing with the torque. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Apr 9 2011, 10:48 AM
Post #82

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 9 2011, 08:45 AM) *

I foresee a time when you will have to go through an interview to buy a Raby Kit.

Well shit, there goes MY chances of ever getting a Raby engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Apr 9 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #83

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Our kit program is filled till November and only on e slot exists for November initiation with a February 2012 delivery.

We can only produce 12 engine kits per year without robbing parts from our turnkey program. This has become more pronounced in the past 18 months as quality parts get fewer and farther between.

I've been interviewing potential purchasers for the past 14 years, just like they interview me in the initial steps of any engine purchase. This is a two way street, when I sell an engine myself and that purchaser are married with no divorce possible. We must be compatible.

I am very reserved, which is why I've been more successful with pleasing my purchasers than most other engine companies in this industry.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Apr 9 2011, 02:28 PM
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Apr 17 2011, 09:28 AM
Post #84

Apex killer!

I've gotten a couple PM's wanting to hear more progress. We are waiting on the custom SDS harness. This is kind of a complicated process that involves knowing where everything will be located, laying out the wires, acquiring and attaching all of the appropriate ends. If McMark has time, maybe he can elaborate on the process. Once he is done building it of course (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 28 2011, 10:27 AM
Post #85

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Got the wiring diagram drawn up yesterday. There are about 30 wires to keep track of, which doesn't seem like much until you start researching component pin-outs (which pin of this TPS is signal, power or ground?). And the SDS documentation leaves a whole HELL of a lot to be desired. Too many acronyms and no consistency between different references to the same wire. Oh, and during this I discovered that the stickers SDS put on the coil for which cylinder hooks where were WRONG.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing simple about SDS is the name. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Hope you don't mind my RANT, Rob. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Apr 28 2011, 11:02 AM
Post #86

Apex killer!

Sorry Mark. Think of yourself as a pioneer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) For those of you who want to know why we are building a custom harness here is a bit of an explanation. The harness that is supplied with the SDS system is made to fit any application. It has wiring long enough to get to anything you can dream up for mounting locations. Add to this, the harness appears to be a little less than ready for the harsh environment of an engine compartment. It looks more like something you might hook up an office computer network.
For this reason, I took the 'delete harness' option when ordering. This takes $250 off. Granted, it will cost more than that to have Mark build me a harness but I will not have coiled up harness under the passenger seat and in the engine compartment.
Ross at SDS answers his own phones so he is a ready reference...
Mark is a bit more of the lap top programmable aftermarket EFI guy... He likes all the tables and graphs you can generate using Megasquirt and such... I just want to drive.

Now to be fair to SDS, their harness must work well. They put it in retrofit airplanes and I have not been hearing of them falling out of the sky due to harness failure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 28 2011, 11:33 AM
Post #87

914 Freak!

True. I usually remember to include that caveat. SDS obviously works well. There are plenty of cars out there with it. The system simply doesn't live up to my aesthetic demands, which I'll be the first to admit are a bit over-bearing. But I want things to look nice, as well as function properly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Zimms
post Apr 28 2011, 11:45 AM
Post #88

Member No.: 5,565
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 28 2011, 01:33 PM) *

True. I usually remember to include that caveat. SDS obviously works well. There are plenty of cars out there with it. The system simply doesn't live up to my aesthetic demands, which I'll be the first to admit are a bit over-bearing. But I want things to look nice, as well as function properly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

So is this a possible additional product? I would be interested. I have a 2270 Raby kit waiting in my basement, and I plan on doing SDS with ITB's source yet undetermined.

Nice build Rob and Mark. I am loving this thread.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Apr 28 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #89

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Zimms @ Apr 28 2011, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 28 2011, 01:33 PM) *

So is this a possible additional product? I would be interested. I have a 2270 Raby kit waiting in my basement, and I plan on doing SDS with ITB's source yet undetermined.

Nice build Rob and Mark. I am loving this thread.

I think Mark definitely plans to do this again... I often end up his guinea pig in his quest for knowledge! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

The source I used were actually someone else's cast-off project stuff. But for your reference the Throttle bodies are Jenvey out of England I think. The manifolds are the same as the common carb manifolds. All other sensors are available through SDS.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 28 2011, 06:50 PM
Post #90

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 28 2011, 12:33 PM) *

As it should be. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Apr 28 2011, 06:58 PM
Post #91

Apex killer!

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 28 2011, 04:50 PM) *

Mark is pretty particular about things being right... Might have something to do with the fact that he hasn't driven a 914 that he owns in years... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

OOOoops! I just earned another demeaning look! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 28 2011, 08:56 PM
Post #92

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 28 2011, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 28 2011, 04:50 PM) *

Mark is pretty particular about things being right... Might have something to do with the fact that he hasn't driven a 914 that he owns in years... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

OOOoops! I just earned another demeaning look! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I can totally relate. It's the ol pumber with the toilet that won't flush. Never have time for your own stuff.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 30 2011, 05:59 PM
Post #93

Apex killer!

Hard to believe this pile of wire is close to becoming a wiring harness...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post May 30 2011, 06:06 PM
Post #94

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Rob, I saw your engine at the McSwap meet. It looks great. (You weren't there for some lame assed reason). When Mark wasn't looking, I carved my initials on the case of your engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 30 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #95

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 30 2011, 04:06 PM) *

Rob, I saw your engine at the McSwap meet. It looks great. (You weren't there for some lame assed reason). When Mark wasn't looking, I carved my initials on the case of your engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
Cheers, Elliot

Great! The value just went up a couple thousand! Eric Clapton autographed! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 30 2011, 07:39 PM
Post #96

914 Freak!

Harness mockup goodness.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 3 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #97

Apex killer!

OMG! Looks like McMark hired munchkin wire writers to keep the wires organized!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 3 2011, 09:30 PM
Post #98

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

they DO make wires with different colors....

R
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 3 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #99

Apex killer!

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 3 2011, 07:30 PM) *

they DO make wires with different colors....

R

True enough... but one color of wire with numbers written on them that correspond to this (see below) is cheaper and very useful...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 27 2011, 09:14 AM
Post #100

Apex killer!

What was once a pile of wires is now a fuel injection harness! Plans are to mock it up and tune it without load on the engine stand this week...

Stay tuned! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post

69 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 06:11 AM