Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chevy Guys, Starter sticking
rascobo
post Apr 2 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,948
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) In the last six months I replaced the ring and bendix gears four times, in addition to exploding one trans-axle and shattering one clutch disc (bump starting the car) I'd like to resolve this rather than just continuing to throwing all my time and money at it.

I've been using an IMI 101 gear reduction starter with my 4.3 V6 conversion for several years with no problems, but because of alignment problems with the Kennedy adapter plate I've had to replace both the starter Bendix gear and flywheel ring gear several times. I also had intermittent problems with the starter failing to disengage. I think I solved the alignment issue and just installed new ring and Bendix gears, but they are still sticking(failing to disengage). I have searched the problem on-line, lots of results, mostly contradictory or confusing, regarding shimming. It's not possible to see or test the clearances like in a chevy engine to chevy bell housing. Can someone tell Me how (if possible) to correct this problem with shims? Or does it seem more likely the problem has developed in the starter Bendix drive? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 2 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

My kit used a Kennedy flywheel and a 911 starter. Never had the starter hang up on my V8.
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Apr 3 2011, 09:46 AM
Post #3

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm not familiar with the IMI 101 starter, is that a VW/POR unit?

I used my stock 914 starter on a v8 for years and never understood the fuss, compression would hole it up occaisionally, but kick it again and it would go.

what I didn't realize until after I ruined the ring gear on the starter was that the vw/por starters don't have a larger enough bearing which will allow some end play in the shaft and they as it wears, starts eating teeth.

After replacing my ring gear, I popped for the reverse rotation chevy unit from kennedy. that's the ticket.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 06:35 PM