Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chevy Guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rascobo
WTF.gif In the last six months I replaced the ring and bendix gears four times, in addition to exploding one trans-axle and shattering one clutch disc (bump starting the car) I'd like to resolve this rather than just continuing to throwing all my time and money at it.

I've been using an IMI 101 gear reduction starter with my 4.3 V6 conversion for several years with no problems, but because of alignment problems with the Kennedy adapter plate I've had to replace both the starter Bendix gear and flywheel ring gear several times. I also had intermittent problems with the starter failing to disengage. I think I solved the alignment issue and just installed new ring and Bendix gears, but they are still sticking(failing to disengage). I have searched the problem on-line, lots of results, mostly contradictory or confusing, regarding shimming. It's not possible to see or test the clearances like in a chevy engine to chevy bell housing. Can someone tell Me how (if possible) to correct this problem with shims? Or does it seem more likely the problem has developed in the starter Bendix drive? idea.gif

Mike Bellis
My kit used a Kennedy flywheel and a 911 starter. Never had the starter hang up on my V8.
Bruce Hinds
I'm not familiar with the IMI 101 starter, is that a VW/POR unit?

I used my stock 914 starter on a v8 for years and never understood the fuss, compression would hole it up occaisionally, but kick it again and it would go.

what I didn't realize until after I ruined the ring gear on the starter was that the vw/por starters don't have a larger enough bearing which will allow some end play in the shaft and they as it wears, starts eating teeth.

After replacing my ring gear, I popped for the reverse rotation chevy unit from kennedy. that's the ticket.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.