Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thoughts on small block V8 to Subaru or other., Driving impressions
matthepcat
post Apr 6 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #1

Meat Popsicle

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

Hello to all you engine conversion folks!

I am starting to plan out the next phase of life for my small block V8 75' 914.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img695.imageshack.us-11125-1302109310.1.jpg)
As much as I enjoy driving the raw torque monster 355 small block, I am starting to crave the drive-ability & performance of a modern power train. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I am looking to get peoples impressions, who moved from the small block to a subaru engine, or other. (I know there may not be alot of you out there).

Specifically I am interested in how your driving experience has changed, and any thoughts on what you would have done differently.

A modern aluminum V8 with possibly an Audi trans is still a possibility, but I am liking the idea of a lighter platform.

Thanx ahead of time for your thoughts!

Cheers, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Matt

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Apr 6 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #2

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Driveablilty of the V8 has a lot to do with how the engine is built. It seems few of the guys going the V8 route build an engine for a light car. Torque is not the ticket.
There are lots of choices in cams, intakes and exhaust that can make a world of difference. RV cams, long strokes and shorty headers really don't make for fun ride in light car.
If you've got a good running V8 set up, you may just consider some of these items if you haven't considered them before. A short stroke free reving V8 can be a real hoot.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 6 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I like the idea of a v6.. IMHO my choice is the audi v6 with audi trani or subi flat 6 with subi trani.

A turbo 4 is great, but N/A power and reliability is just mountain carving fun. Besides with either combo 30mpg should be a piece of cake. 200-250hp is perfect for this chassis.

This is all my opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rohar
post Apr 6 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,685
Region Association: None

Funny you should mention that Andyrw. Just got a call last night my half shaft adapters are done for the Audi tranny, and I think I finally figured out the twisted hall sensors on the block/head of the Audi 12v V6...
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Apr 6 2011, 12:18 PM
Post #5

Meat Popsicle

Yea, I never considered just changing out components in my current good running engine to change the power band. I guess going away from cast iron and carburetors what the direction I am thinking.

Andrew, I don't have much knowledge of Audi motors (other than the obvious 1.8t, 2.0T & VR6). My experience with the VR6 is unreliable and hard to work on.

Being a 2006 WRX owner, I have enjoyed the performance, mod-ability and reliability of Subaru engines. I wonder how the 3.0 flat 6 or 2.5 turbo would pace with my current small block.
+Quote Post
nsyr
post Apr 6 2011, 12:53 PM
Post #6

Because I Can

Member No.: 2,073

I'm currently going from a 2.0 turbo Subaru to a 3.3 n/a Subaru.

the power from the turbo is nice, but it really lacks low end torque.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 6 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #7

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

what are you doing with the 2.0 motor/ECU etc?

Rich
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 6 2011, 01:17 PM
Post #8

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(rohar @ Apr 6 2011, 10:47 AM) *

Funny you should mention that Andyrw. Just got a call last night my half shaft adapters are done for the Audi tranny, and I think I finally figured out the twisted hall sensors on the block/head of the Audi 12v V6...

Are you going with a full ECU/harness swap?

Matt
What about going with an LS1? They are pretty darn lightweight, and I bet you could detune it/run it stock.. Then again you would have to go with another conversion kit, and you wont be running ideal RPM's on the highway.. With a engine/trani swap you'll be pretty ideal. Why dont you adjust the timing and put a throttle stop to get you to your desired HP and see what its like? Thats what I plan on doing for a while.

The Audi v6 is a pretty nice and reliable motor. Couple of issues with it, but regular maintenence solves all of those issues. But if your familiar with the Subaru then its probably the route for you. I am familiar with the Audi. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Apr 6 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #9

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

I've really enjoyed my V6. It's a mitsubishi out of a stratus that was modded to fit a big16G turbo. It will be coming out soon and be replaced with it's big brother, a 3.0 TT V6 out of a 3000GT VR4. The 2.5 has enough low end torque to get the car moving rather quickly, and it revs insanely high for a V6. (I was hitting 8.5k and it wanted more)

I haven't ever riden in a V8 car, so I can only report on my conversion I do have.
+Quote Post
rohar
post Apr 6 2011, 01:55 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 9,685

Andyrew, I haven't committed to where I'm going with the ECU yet. I've got an MS3.0 sitting on the shelf and it's tempting. That's why I went through the process of translating the hal signals to something more normal. Going stock is dead simple though.

Matt, the Audi V6 is a mule of an engine. Not amazing performance, but they go forever. Down side is there isn't much for aftermarket on the old 12v engines. That's kinda why I'm going that rout. Blazing new trails and all.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Apr 7 2011, 02:14 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

I have a 914 V8 conversion car that I converted from a V8 to a Subaru 6cyl engine. The V8 was a 283 with aluminum heads high compression 13 to 1 with a long overlap Rod Simpson cam (engle), roadhes lifters and all.

I converted this to a Subaru SVX EG33 engine and WRX transaxle.
The Subaru 3.3liter engine and transaxle turned this car into a completly different car. I think it is faster than before. Far more fun to drive and better all around. With the newer more modern engine it is so smooth sitting in the car I can not even hear or feel the engine running have to look at the tach to see if its running.
This thing feels like the engine and transaxle is made for the car. I'm real happy with the way it turned out. The total package just seems to work great. I don't know if its the transaxle or the engine that I like the best.

I really think any of the asian V6 engines would make a great conversion,but then you lose the transaxle option. I saw Okieflyr VW engine audi transaxle conversion and that looks REALLY REALLY nice and suspect it drives just as nice too.

Bob
+Quote Post
dwillouby
post Apr 7 2011, 06:22 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 29

I just converted my V8 from carb to Fast EzEFI fuel injection system. The difference is like night and day. The car now starts and runs like a modern car. No loading up, no cold start issues. No fuel sloshing durning braking or hard cornering. Better gas milage. Over all much more enjoyable to drive.
I will never change from the Chevy. Would like to add a stronger transaxle. The V8 sound and look always draws a crowd. Most people cant tell a Subie from a VW eng. ( I am impressed by the Subies although)
David
+Quote Post
jmmotorsports
post Apr 7 2011, 06:44 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 6,658

I replaced the 350 SBC in my car with an LS1. Just finished the swap last weekend and have just a few miles on it.
It was a good choice for me, I never considered anything other than a V8.touch the key and it starts,runs like a modern car. Losing the 110-120 pounds gives the car a different feel,a very big difference. Much more enjoyable to drive. The LS1 is not an easy or cheap swap but very well worth the effort.

Jerry
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Apr 7 2011, 01:03 PM
Post #14

Meat Popsicle

Perfect!

That is what I am looking for. I am sure that you appreciated your old set-up for what it was, but modernizing really makes the car more fun to drive with great performance and reliability.

Really appreciate everyone's input.

914world has a great community of helpful people.

Cheers, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Matt

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Apr 7 2011, 01:14 AM) *

I have a 914 V8 conversion car that I converted from a V8 to a Subaru 6cyl engine. The V8 was a 283 with aluminum heads high compression 13 to 1 with a long overlap Rod Simpson cam (engle), roadhes lifters and all.

I converted this to a Subaru SVX EG33 engine and WRX transaxle.
The Subaru 3.3liter engine and transaxle turned this car into a completly different car. I think it is faster than before. Far more fun to drive and better all around. With the newer more modern engine it is so smooth sitting in the car I can not even hear or feel the engine running have to look at the tach to see if its running.
This thing feels like the engine and transaxle is made for the car. I'm real happy with the way it turned out. The total package just seems to work great. I don't know if its the transaxle or the engine that I like the best.

I really think any of the asian V6 engines would make a great conversion,but then you lose the transaxle option. I saw Okieflyr VW engine audi transaxle conversion and that looks REALLY REALLY nice and suspect it drives just as nice too.

Bob

+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Apr 7 2011, 01:07 PM
Post #15

Meat Popsicle

Right on Jerry.

The modern V8 is very tempting as well. Did you go with a complete new renegade kit for the installation, or did you make your own engine & tranny mounts?

What trans-axle are you running?

Matt

QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Apr 7 2011, 05:44 AM) *

I replaced the 350 SBC in my car with an LS1. Just finished the swap last weekend and have just a few miles on it.
It was a good choice for me, I never considered anything other than a V8.touch the key and it starts,runs like a modern car. Losing the 110-120 pounds gives the car a different feel,a very big difference. Much more enjoyable to drive. The LS1 is not an easy or cheap swap but very well worth the effort.

Jerry

+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 7 2011, 01:42 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

I haven't driven a suby swap yet. I am in the process of one. No turbo for me. I like the normally aspirated. A change of cams on a ej25sohc & Outfront's Stinger ecu can get you in the 250hp range on pump gas. Seeing how little room they take up in my engine bay is nice too. I have a buick 215 v8 car also. My motor is out for a suspension ear replacement. Doing the suby swap on my other 914. The farther I get into the conversion. The more I am sure my v8 is going to be replcaed with a suby. I have an ej25sohc sitting there just waiting to be torn apart. Once rebuilt it will replace my v8 & be close to the same HP. It will also get in the 30+mpg. I can't wait to finish my current one. It will only be in the 190hp range but in a 914 that kicks ass (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Apr 7 2011, 02:16 PM
Post #17

Meat Popsicle

Sounds awesome.

Keep us all updated on how it goes!

QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 7 2011, 12:42 PM) *

I haven't driven a suby swap yet. I am in the process of one. No turbo for me. I like the normally aspirated. A change of cams on a ej25sohc & Outfront's Stinger ecu can get you in the 250hp range on pump gas. Seeing how little room they take up in my engine bay is nice too. I have a buick 215 v8 car also. My motor is out for a suspension ear replacement. Doing the suby swap on my other 914. The farther I get into the conversion. The more I am sure my v8 is going to be replcaed with a suby. I have an ej25sohc sitting there just waiting to be torn apart. Once rebuilt it will replace my v8 & be close to the same HP. It will also get in the 30+mpg. I can't wait to finish my current one. It will only be in the 190hp range but in a 914 that kicks ass (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
jmmotorsports
post Apr 7 2011, 03:05 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 6,658

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Apr 7 2011, 12:07 PM) *

Right on Jerry.

The modern V8 is very tempting as well. Did you go with a complete new renegade kit for the installation, or did you make your own engine & tranny mounts?

What trans-axle are you running?

Matt

QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Apr 7 2011, 05:44 AM) *

Jerry

I used my old motor mount bar, bought the adapter,clutch and flywheel from Kennedy. Mezerie electric water pump. Everything else I fabricated myself.

Still using the 901, next winters project will be a Boxster 6 speed.

Jerry

+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Apr 8 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #19

Meat Popsicle

Thanks again for everyone's input.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 8 2011, 03:41 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

I forgot to mention while I have not driven one. I did get to ride in Dean's (sawtooth). It was very smooth accelerating. While I can't say there was the moment of torque I was thrown back in my seat. The powerband just felt nice & smooth. Overall it had just a totally different feel than any 914 I have ridden or driven in. I personally don't want something to powerful in my 914. I love the driveability of the 200-250hp. Any more than that for me I don't need or want. Good luck whatever you decide. I really like Bigkats suby 6 conversion. Found a ej33 ready to go for $600. I just don't have the spare cash to jump on it. Otherwise it would be sitting in my shop right now too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . To many projects at the moment sucking up my cash (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 09:00 PM