Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for a low buck solution for a fuel pump for a 2.0 F.I. car
Mike Bellis
post Apr 7 2011, 09:28 PM
Post #21

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I used the MSD pump on a V8 EFI system I built with good results.

On my last 914 I bought a pump from a BMW 320i. It was cheap and worked great 40psi out of the box.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Apr 8 2011, 06:27 AM
Post #22

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 6 2011, 11:52 PM) *

Not a particularly good idea to try to regulate a 100 PSI pump down to 30 PSI. We call 'em fires waiting to happen ........ and they don't wait very long.

The Cap'n

BS! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) While I don't wrench on cars professionally, I do design hydraulic and pnuematic systems that safely drop 300+psi all day every day. Its perfectly safe to regulate pressue as long as your fuel lines and connections are rated for it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 8 2011, 06:46 AM
Post #23

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 8 2011, 07:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 6 2011, 11:52 PM) *

Not a particularly good idea to try to regulate a 100 PSI pump down to 30 PSI. We call 'em fires waiting to happen ........ and they don't wait very long.

The Cap'n

BS!

While I don't wrench on cars professionally, I do build hydraulic and pnuematic systems that safely drop 300+psi all day every day. Its perfectly safe to regulate pressue as long as your fuel lines and connections are rated for it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I think the Cap'n point is trying to use a new pump with our 30+ your old fuel systems may not be up to the task. Specially if you move the pump up to the front and push through the plastic line.

I could see it as a viable option if you replaced all the lines with rated hose which I will be doing anyway. I have stainless tunnel lines. and I'm looking into that new lined F.I. hose for the alky fuel we have now. The only stock hose will be the injector elbos but those are reduced pressure.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Apr 8 2011, 07:12 AM
Post #24

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Bosch has stated that the pumps are "not rebuildable". Mostly a problem in getting them to seal around the electrical connector from what I understand. Several companies (Python, Fuel Injection Corp, etc., )used to try to rebuild them. Haven't heard much about them lately.

Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz, VW, Ford, GM and who knows who else used the style of pump but in different configuration (single in, single out).

Best bet is single in single out (late 914). Never understood the magic of the 3 port. When I tested used pumps, they were capable of putting out in the neighborhood of 40 psi+.

Now, if you are running a flat six conversion with CIS .... double that pressure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 8 2011, 07:19 AM
Post #25

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 8 2011, 08:12 AM) *

Bosch has stated that the pumps are "not rebuildable". Mostly a problem in getting them to seal around the electrical connector from what I understand. Several companies (Python, Fuel Injection Corp, etc., )used to try to rebuild them. Haven't heard much about them lately.

Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz, VW, Ford, GM and who knows who else used the style of pump but in different configuration (single in, single out).

Best bet is single in single out (late 914). Never understood the magic of the 3 port. When I tested used pumps, they were capable of putting out in the neighborhood of 40 psi+.

Now, if you are running a flat six conversion with CIS .... double that pressure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Ya, I used a Volvo Turbo pump and accumulator for the 928 CIS in the Alien. It requires way more pressure than your average F.I. car.
+Quote Post
hasaramat
post Apr 10 2011, 07:45 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 9,782

OK, I don't mean to be waking up an old thread but I found a cheap alternative for a 2 port EFI fuel pump, $44.95. The manufacturer is Hayg, found it at fuelpumps.comAttached Image
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Apr 10 2011, 07:56 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

Got a question. I've seen that there are pumps that can ccome very close to the factory psi but at about triple that of the flow rate , would the flow rate be compatable with the fuel regulator that comes with the stock system or would one need to go to a different regulator to keep the pressure / flow rate under control , if needed . Just asking because of going with a higher flow rate changes a spec in the system .

Jack / Jaxdream
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 04:05 AM