Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a low buck solution for a fuel pump for a 2.0 F.I. car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I saw a post where someone bought a NOS type IV pump and paid several hundred bucks for it. Ya, with all the cars I'm building here I'm not that guy.

What type of fuel pump are you running?

What type of pressure does our system F.I. run at?
jaxdream
Don't quote me on it , I believe the 2.0l d jet runs around 28-30psi. I think the later FI changed from the 3 port to a 2 port doing away with running the return through the fuel pump . I'm with ya on the high dollar FI parts , heck I bet Holley makes a pump that would be able to supply the d jet . Check out Jeff Bolwsby's ( spelling may be wrong ) site , tons of info about d jet , maybe the psi and flow specs might be there .Good luck , buy a lotto ticket.

Jack / Jaxdream
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Apr 6 2011, 10:16 PM) *

Don't quote me on it , I believe the 2.0l d jet runs around 28-30psi. I think the later FI changed from the 3 port to a 2 port doing away with running the return through the fuel pump . I'm with ya on the high dollar FI parts , heck I bet Holley makes a pump that would be able to supply the d jet . Check out Jeff Bolwsby's ( spelling may be wrong ) site , tons of info about d jet , maybe the psi and flow specs might be there .Good luck , buy a lotto ticket.

Jack / Jaxdream

Thanks, Ya I'll check Jeffs stuff. We bought a ticket the wife is checking now. unsure.gif
hasaramat
I have used the MSD high pressure pump in several different applications for EFI and it has been great. Right around $100 and it come with mounts. Great flow rate and not bad power consumption and good to 70 psi.
SLITS
I bought both a 911 CIS pump and a late model teener pump off eBay for about $60 each, new, Chinese or ?. Someday I'll let you know if they work.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(hasaramat @ Apr 6 2011, 10:45 PM) *

I have used the MSD high pressure pump in several different applications for EFI and it has been great. Right around $100 and it come with mounts. Great flow rate and not bad power consumption and good to 70 psi.

Just spotted one on Ebay for $ 100.00. I thought it may work since our system has a regulator.
Cap'n Krusty
Not a particularly good idea to try to regulate a 100 PSI pump down to 30 PSI. We call 'em fires waiting to happen ........ and they don't wait very long.

The Cap'n
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 6 2011, 11:52 PM) *

Not a particularly good idea to try to regulate a 100 PSI pump down to 30 PSI. We call 'em fires waiting to happen ........ and they don't wait very long.

The Cap'n

Eeek! unsure.gif
JRust
There has to be something out there that will work. I went through like 7 bad pumps to find a good used one recently. Talk about a PITA mad.gif . It would be nice if they could rebuild them & be reliable. Not to mention the biggest obstacle (we are all cheap blink.gif )
avidfanjpl
The 3 port original pump runs at 29-30 PSI published, and measured at the Drivers side rail outlet going to the 5th injector for ease of access, but I run mine at 31.

I have 2, one in the car that was new in 2006, Bosch, PO paid 250, then I bought a real Bosch spare from Jeff Bowlsby. Tested it and it works fine. 90 bucks from Jeff.

THE Problem is that there are a ton of CRAPPY Chinese knockoffs on the market and they are NOT Bosch. They work for a bit then die. Many have been fooled into buying them. You can see they always refer to the correct Bosch number, but they are not NOS. They are NCS - New Crap Stock.

You will not like spending 250 and getting crap. The only thing usable if you are sticking with the 3 port pump is Bosch.

Sad but true.

And the crappy rebuild kits for Bosch are also almost all from China as well. And from what I hear, even the Bosch rebuild kits are horrible to try and do the work correctly and not have them leak.

Let the buyer beware.

John
76-914
Rick, a while back someone here posted that you could use a Delco. Supposedly, there is a chart (Delco) that lists each pumps operating psi range and flow rate. Just match up your requirements. I chickened out and bought a Bosch from Pelican.
r_towle
That was me.
Rick, its simple...

Go to the parts store.
Get out the big paper fuel pump book.
Look up the 75/76 914 fuel pump.
Look at two specs.
PSI/GPH and the fittings sizes.

Then cross reference that.
Easier is to look up the Volvo P1800 ES 1973
Same pump, way lower price.

Mounts up front under the tank like the 75/76 pump and its a whole lot cheaper than any 914 three orifice pump.

If you insist on a three port pump, you are stuck with a 914 pump only.
If you go with the two port pump (mounted up front)
your choices open up alot.
BMW is one of the pumps also...
So there are alot of choices...

The original was 65 PSI.
I just matched the specs and found the Delco for 100 bucks.
Works great, no issues.

I would suggest that you consider replacing the tunnel lines...I did mine with copper tubing (flame on) and its fine and has been for 12 years so far.
I figure if my furnace can use copper, so can my car.
I dont drive 15k mile per year in my car ....and I am cheap.
I also can smell gas...so I wont ignore it if and when the copper needs to be replaced.

I also found a nice pre-wrapped two wire deal at Home Depot.
I plugged it into the fuel pump wiring at the stock location and ran it up the tunnel and out the front under the tank.
Never touched the main harness...no need to.

Rich
rick 918-S
Great info from everyone. I have since received a pm with an offer for a pump so it looks like I'm set. Thanks everyone!
76-914
That's right. It was you, Rich. Suddenly my memory awakes. But why 2 wires to the pump? poke.gif A true CSOB would run a single wire.
jmill
I thought I included the pump with the engine? If I didn't, I should have one or two I could give you.

PM me before you go and buy stuff. Chances are good I might have it.
r_towle
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 7 2011, 06:01 PM) *

That's right. It was you, Rich. Suddenly my memory awakes. But why 2 wires to the pump? poke.gif A true CSOB would run a single wire.

true true.
It must have been a good week that week when I went to home depot.
it was like 12 years ago...something like that.

Rich
Krieger
Last night I was looking in the members vender section hwgunner/gpr(midenginemania.com). If I remember right he a new fuel pump for 75-6 car for $180.
rick 918-S
That sounds like a good price for a new stock pump. I have my pump problem resolved thanks to the guys on World! smilie_pokal.gif
McMark
Just looked at the factory manuals and found these specs for the pump:

Pressure: 2.4 kp/cm^2
Flow: 50 ltr/h

This translates to:

Pressure: 34 psi
Flow: 13.2 gal/h

I looked on SummitRacing.com and found this pump which would probably work. But I don't have any first-hand experience with it, so I'm not recommending it, just suggesting it. wink.gif

Pressure: 40psi
Flow: 43 gal/h

MSD-2225
IPB Image
markb
QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 7 2011, 05:53 PM) *

Last night I was looking in the members vender section hwgunner/gpr(midenginemania.com). If I remember right he a new fuel pump for 75-6 car for $180.

If you start calling us first, you could probably start saving some $$$$ smile.gif
Mike Bellis
I used the MSD pump on a V8 EFI system I built with good results.

On my last 914 I bought a pump from a BMW 320i. It was cheap and worked great 40psi out of the box.
jd74914

The Cap'n

BS! laugh.gif While I don't wrench on cars professionally, I do design hydraulic and pnuematic systems that safely drop 300+psi all day every day. Its perfectly safe to regulate pressue as long as your fuel lines and connections are rated for it. smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 8 2011, 07:27 AM) *

The Cap'n

BS!

While I don't wrench on cars professionally, I do build hydraulic and pnuematic systems that safely drop 300+psi all day every day. Its perfectly safe to regulate pressue as long as your fuel lines and connections are rated for it. smile.gif

I think the Cap'n point is trying to use a new pump with our 30+ your old fuel systems may not be up to the task. Specially if you move the pump up to the front and push through the plastic line.

I could see it as a viable option if you replaced all the lines with rated hose which I will be doing anyway. I have stainless tunnel lines. and I'm looking into that new lined F.I. hose for the alky fuel we have now. The only stock hose will be the injector elbos but those are reduced pressure.
SLITS
Bosch has stated that the pumps are "not rebuildable". Mostly a problem in getting them to seal around the electrical connector from what I understand. Several companies (Python, Fuel Injection Corp, etc., )used to try to rebuild them. Haven't heard much about them lately.

Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz, VW, Ford, GM and who knows who else used the style of pump but in different configuration (single in, single out).

Best bet is single in single out (late 914). Never understood the magic of the 3 port. When I tested used pumps, they were capable of putting out in the neighborhood of 40 psi+.

Now, if you are running a flat six conversion with CIS .... double that pressure. blink.gif

rick 918-S
QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 8 2011, 08:12 AM) *

Bosch has stated that the pumps are "not rebuildable". Mostly a problem in getting them to seal around the electrical connector from what I understand. Several companies (Python, Fuel Injection Corp, etc., )used to try to rebuild them. Haven't heard much about them lately.

Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz, VW, Ford, GM and who knows who else used the style of pump but in different configuration (single in, single out).

Best bet is single in single out (late 914). Never understood the magic of the 3 port. When I tested used pumps, they were capable of putting out in the neighborhood of 40 psi+.

Now, if you are running a flat six conversion with CIS .... double that pressure. blink.gif

Ya, I used a Volvo Turbo pump and accumulator for the 928 CIS in the Alien. It requires way more pressure than your average F.I. car.
hasaramat
OK, I don't mean to be waking up an old thread but I found a cheap alternative for a 2 port EFI fuel pump, $44.95. The manufacturer is Hayg, found it at fuelpumps.comClick to view attachment
jaxdream
Got a question. I've seen that there are pumps that can ccome very close to the factory psi but at about triple that of the flow rate , would the flow rate be compatable with the fuel regulator that comes with the stock system or would one need to go to a different regulator to keep the pressure / flow rate under control , if needed . Just asking because of going with a higher flow rate changes a spec in the system .

Jack / Jaxdream
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.