Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Is anybody running one of these?
jjackson
post Apr 8 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,246
Region Association: None

Bought a Quaiffe steering rack gear that quickens steering compared to stock.Has anybody installed one?If so, where did you get replacement seals or how did you remove old ones without damage.The part matches the pinion gear and has fewer teeth.This ia not a steering quickener that is added on shafts-never driven a car with these type units that had proper feel or feedback through the steering wheel.Have never driven a teener with either type.The capability of our car with its current setup, is CRAZY fast through slaloms and offsets.JJackson
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 29)
J P Stein
post Apr 13 2011, 02:18 AM
Post #21

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

I have felt the need/wish for fewer turns L to L. Single cone 180s were a bit of a problem. They didn't come up but once a year or so. Practice & set up was lacking....as the driver/builder that pretty well defines the onus for a fix. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Those days have passed and I never thought about it again till now.

jj: frankly, I look at your car & see the problem based on my past experience....unless you know something I don't. Here's a pic of my car as I ran it for one season....just one.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jjackson
post Apr 13 2011, 08:07 AM
Post #22

QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 12 2011, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 12 2011, 12:33 AM) *

But, of course there's always a expensive high tech solution for any given problem.

The guys at Sharper Image take that statement to the bank.

I like carbs so consider me low tech. I just use more throttle. I need it a bit loose to get my groove on.

Have run multiple toe settings in front and rear during the testing and setup of this and previous car.Never liked more than an 1/8 " total toe out in front.Too darty in agressive entry on most surfaces.In the development of car-a couple hundred bucks did not seem like an expensive upgrade.Will spend more than that in gas at the next national level event.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Apr 13 2011, 09:41 AM
Post #23

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

JJ congrats on the inbound new youngin.

Got to see your car in B-ville NT last year. If I remember you said you had just finished building it up. Missed you at Nationals last year, too busy fussing with my kart.

I agree a quicker steering rack would be cool. I would not think it would need grease seals for an AX car if you have boots on each end.

My biggest issue was getting all the slop out of the shaft u-joints on my car. Also replaced the rubber POS spacer with a piece of polyethelene (cutting board). took lots of numbness out and also fixed the shaft length issue created by the bump steer bushings under the rack.
+Quote Post
jjackson
post Apr 13 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #24

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 13 2011, 10:41 AM) *

JJ congrats on the inbound new youngin.

Got to see your car in B-ville NT last year. If I remember you said you had just finished building it up. Missed you at Nationals last year, too busy fussing with my kart.

I agree a quicker steering rack would be cool. I would not think it would need grease seals for an AX car if you have boots on each end.

My biggest issue was getting all the slop out of the shaft u-joints on my car. Also replaced the rubber POS spacer with a piece of polyethelene (cutting board). took lots of numbness out and also fixed the shaft length issue created by the bump steer bushings under the rack.

Thanks Joe-car really changed drastically from spring to fall last year.Look forward to seeing you this year.Always looking for more speed.Did I mention that currently it is the best 914 I've ever driven.Steve and Rick (Perfection Plus) have really gotten this car up to speed. Just trying to catch (and pass) that John Thomas Z car.JJackson

+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Apr 13 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #25

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Well Eventually JT will be old like you and me.
+Quote Post
wobbletop
post Apr 13 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 7,335
Region Association: Canada

You could try shortening the tierod attachment point on the strut.

Perrin is making something like this for Subarus instead of messing with the steering rack.

For sure would require some careful planning to get the geometry right.

And +1 for changing the thread title.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Apr 14 2011, 02:54 PM
Post #27

CUMONIWANNARACEU

I barely understand ackermann but doesn't that really mess things up? Like significantly? Changing the spindle arm length? Hmm. I will pass.
+Quote Post
wobbletop
post Apr 14 2011, 03:59 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 7,335
Region Association: Canada

More info on the Perrin system

http://www.perrinperformance.com/pages/show/241
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Apr 14 2011, 04:10 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,946
Region Association: Southern California

That is cool!
+Quote Post
jjackson
post Apr 14 2011, 04:49 PM
Post #30

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Thats why I wanted the gear replacement for this mod-Looked at several possibilities and have driven several cars with quickeners that go in the middle of shafts-Did not like the feel.Not a good enough of an engineer to make that change-will consider it if Quaife gear sucks-JJackson

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 14 2011, 03:54 PM) *

I barely understand ackermann but doesn't that really mess things up? Like significantly? Changing the spindle arm length? Hmm. I will pass.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 03:06 AM