Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is anybody running one of these?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jjackson
Bought a Quaiffe steering rack gear that quickens steering compared to stock.Has anybody installed one?If so, where did you get replacement seals or how did you remove old ones without damage.The part matches the pinion gear and has fewer teeth.This ia not a steering quickener that is added on shafts-never driven a car with these type units that had proper feel or feedback through the steering wheel.Have never driven a teener with either type.The capability of our car with its current setup, is CRAZY fast through slaloms and offsets.JJackson
jjackson
Help! Who rebuilt your steering rack? This replacement part makes the rack 2.5 turns lock to lock with absolutely minimum increase in steering resistance.Anyboby?JJackson
SLITS
I have never heard of the product, but I thought you would like at least one post answer.

All the rebuilders we sell to just remanufacture the stock rack.
pcar916
Hi J,
Take a look at this exploded drawing.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/Parts/Fron...ng_rack_big.htm

The parts at the end of the rack, especially the "Bearing/Bushing" must have a seal built into it. If the Quaife rack has the same dimensions (od) it'll work like the original. They may be pressed in. I haven't replaced one.

If it were me I'd build up another rack from a donor car. Maybe Henry C. or the guys at PP have one, or get one from Rich Bontempi at High Performance House in Redwood City CA.

That way you can just swap racks after removing the old one.

Call me if you have questions.

Ron
jjackson
Ron,Thanks for the exploded picture.Looking for source on #7,#14,19, and 20 before we destroy donor rack-we have several donors-just wanted to find source for parts.Saw a recent post selling rebuilt rack-was very surprised at current value of racks.Hoping to find some experience out there with this.Trying to get information before were the guinea pig running the wheel.JJackson
pcar916
Here's a link to the most up to date PET catalogs online at Porsche.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands...partscatalogue/

Punch in the year of your car and find the rack. The parts explosion will have the part numbers as well. Then you can call Sunset with them or give the numbers to the PP guys since their pricing may be better than Sunset.

Good Luck!
Ron
jjackson
Thanks Ron! Will not be so nervous when destroying the originals.How big of a hammer do ya think I need?JJackson
pcar916
Maybe not too big. piratenanner.gif Those internal circlips can be a pain though and it's not uncommon to tear up the boss getting them out if you're not careful.

I don't see any seals or o-rings on the inside or outside of the bearings. But it is a greased rack rather than holding back liquid, and the boots will keep the dust out. I've never taken one apart but the bearings are either a slip fit or have to be pressed in and out. Regardless, you have access to plenty of presses around here fi you don't have one.

Technically, if the bearings are in good shape you may only have to get one out anyway, unless the new rack and pinion set comes with new bearings... which I didn't notice on their website.
Good luck!
jjackson
Have had the part for over a year now.Took a while to get the rest of the car suspension handling the way we wanted it.Am I out on a limb here?I would have thought that there would be more interest out there.(Glad that we did not make such a highly desired-often sold out part)JJackson shades.gif
jjackson
Okay, I'm the only one that thinks the steering should be slightly quicker when the car is handling the way that we want.I'm feeling a little bit like Rory M trying to stay on the front page.JJackson screwy.gif
URY914
Here's a tip when posting... put the subject of the thread in the topic title. "Quaiffe steering rack question" would have brought in a lot more viewers to your thread. Just a friendly tip from guy with a few posts under his avatar. biggrin.gif
elmonte
Very interested in this modification, always felt the steering should be a touch quicker.Not a cheap solution,but seems straight forward. Here's a few old Pelican threads on the steering rack rebuild that deals with pinion shaft bearing and rack replacement.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...tml#post3096686

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ng-replace.html

If and when you give it a go, please post a thread on it.

Cheers
jjackson
QUOTE(elmonte @ Apr 11 2011, 02:30 PM) *

Very interested in this modification, always felt the steering should be a touch quicker.Not a cheap solution,but seems straight forward. Here's a few old Pelican threads on the steering rack rebuild that deals with pinion shaft bearing and rack replacement.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...tml#post3096686

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ng-replace.html

If and when you give it a go, please post a thread on it.

Cheers

Thanks for the info.Planning on installing between Pro Solo in Blytheville and the National Tour in June.Have a third child due during that time frame also-so it might be wishful thinking.Will post info on install.Thanks again-JJackson stirthepot.gif
yeahmag
Very interested. Is there a link to the part?
SirAndy
QUOTE(elmonte @ Apr 11 2011, 12:30 PM) *
always felt the steering should be a touch quicker.

The cheapest solution for that (free) is to adjust the toe.

Run 1mm toe out in the front and 1mm toe in in the rear and then come back and tell me you still need "quicker" steering response ... rolleyes.gif

But, of course there's always a expensive high tech solution for any given problem.

popcorn[1].gif
yeahmag
My issue is more in tight turns. I need more input than I can make without my hands leaving the wheel.
SirAndy
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Apr 11 2011, 10:42 PM) *
My issue is more in tight turns. I need more input than I can make without my hands leaving the wheel.

confused24.gif My hands leave the wheel all the time.

In tight turns i reposition my hand at least once or twice.
Coming out of them sliding i actually let go on purpose as to not add too much input, otherwise you can overcompensate when you regain grip and the car goes into a spin.

The way i was taught is to have "light" hands and let the car do most of the steering. Has worked for me so far.

But, i understand that comes down to personal preference more than anything ...
idea.gif
elmonte
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Apr 11 2011, 10:11 PM) *

Very interested. Is there a link to the part?

Here it is

http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop/products/qsf3q001-2
elmonte
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 11 2011, 10:33 PM) *

QUOTE(elmonte @ Apr 11 2011, 12:30 PM) *
always felt the steering should be a touch quicker.

The cheapest solution for that (free) is to adjust the toe.

Run 1mm toe out in the front and 1mm toe in in the rear and then come back and tell me you still need "quicker" steering response ... rolleyes.gif

But, of course there's always a expensive high tech solution for any given problem.

popcorn[1].gif

What i meant by quicker steering is what Yeahmag said about less input with the steering wheel. Toe out just makes it too darty on the street.

Cheers
jmill
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 12 2011, 12:33 AM) *

The guys at Sharper Image take that statement to the bank.

I like carbs so consider me low tech. I just use more throttle. I need it a bit loose to get my groove on.
J P Stein
I have felt the need/wish for fewer turns L to L. Single cone 180s were a bit of a problem. They didn't come up but once a year or so. Practice & set up was lacking....as the driver/builder that pretty well defines the onus for a fix. biggrin.gif
Those days have passed and I never thought about it again till now.

jj: frankly, I look at your car & see the problem based on my past experience....unless you know something I don't. Here's a pic of my car as I ran it for one season....just one.

jjackson
QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 12 2011, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 12 2011, 12:33 AM) *

The guys at Sharper Image take that statement to the bank.

I like carbs so consider me low tech. I just use more throttle. I need it a bit loose to get my groove on.

Have run multiple toe settings in front and rear during the testing and setup of this and previous car.Never liked more than an 1/8 " total toe out in front.Too darty in agressive entry on most surfaces.In the development of car-a couple hundred bucks did not seem like an expensive upgrade.Will spend more than that in gas at the next national level event.
Joe Ricard
JJ congrats on the inbound new youngin.

Got to see your car in B-ville NT last year. If I remember you said you had just finished building it up. Missed you at Nationals last year, too busy fussing with my kart.

I agree a quicker steering rack would be cool. I would not think it would need grease seals for an AX car if you have boots on each end.

My biggest issue was getting all the slop out of the shaft u-joints on my car. Also replaced the rubber POS spacer with a piece of polyethelene (cutting board). took lots of numbness out and also fixed the shaft length issue created by the bump steer bushings under the rack.
jjackson
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 13 2011, 10:41 AM) *

JJ congrats on the inbound new youngin.

Got to see your car in B-ville NT last year. If I remember you said you had just finished building it up. Missed you at Nationals last year, too busy fussing with my kart.

I agree a quicker steering rack would be cool. I would not think it would need grease seals for an AX car if you have boots on each end.

My biggest issue was getting all the slop out of the shaft u-joints on my car. Also replaced the rubber POS spacer with a piece of polyethelene (cutting board). took lots of numbness out and also fixed the shaft length issue created by the bump steer bushings under the rack.

Thanks Joe-car really changed drastically from spring to fall last year.Look forward to seeing you this year.Always looking for more speed.Did I mention that currently it is the best 914 I've ever driven.Steve and Rick (Perfection Plus) have really gotten this car up to speed. Just trying to catch (and pass) that John Thomas Z car.JJackson

Joe Ricard
Well Eventually JT will be old like you and me.
wobbletop
You could try shortening the tierod attachment point on the strut.

Perrin is making something like this for Subarus instead of messing with the steering rack.

For sure would require some careful planning to get the geometry right.

And +1 for changing the thread title.
Joe Ricard
I barely understand ackermann but doesn't that really mess things up? Like significantly? Changing the spindle arm length? Hmm. I will pass.
wobbletop
More info on the Perrin system

http://www.perrinperformance.com/pages/show/241
yeahmag
That is cool!
jjackson
agree.gif Thats why I wanted the gear replacement for this mod-Looked at several possibilities and have driven several cars with quickeners that go in the middle of shafts-Did not like the feel.Not a good enough of an engineer to make that change-will consider it if Quaife gear sucks-JJackson

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 14 2011, 03:54 PM) *

I barely understand ackermann but doesn't that really mess things up? Like significantly? Changing the spindle arm length? Hmm. I will pass.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.