Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Timing Light, How to connect?
raw1298
post Apr 9 2011, 04:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,148
Region Association: Northern California

It has been a very long time since I have used one of these, so forgive my failing mind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I know that the blue clip goes to the #1 plug wire, the other two are not designated to be positive or negative, does it matter? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I am going to tackle a valve adjustment and set the timing this week for the first time. Any help would be appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
type47
post Apr 9 2011, 05:08 AM
Post #2

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Sounds like an inductive timing light if you have a clip that goes around a wire. The other 2 must be for voltage but I'd think there would be a red and black clamp to clip on the battery posts. This is how mine is (Sears timing light). Don't know if polarity makes a difference.
+Quote Post
type47
post Apr 9 2011, 07:46 AM
Post #3

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

... on the other hand, I had to reset the timing on the Vanagon and clamped to the + to a coil terminal and - to a chassis bolt and when the light wouldn't flash, I just switched the + to the other coil terminal and it flashed... didn't seem to hurt anything ............... yet
+Quote Post
messix
post Apr 9 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #4

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(raw1298 @ Apr 9 2011, 03:12 AM) *

It has been a very long time since I have used one of these, so forgive my failing mind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I know that the blue clip goes to the #1 plug wire, the other two are not designated to be positive or negative, does it matter? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I am going to tackle a valve adjustment and set the timing this week for the first time. Any help would be appreciated.

uhoh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

step back, and go see mark at original customs. or host a "teener tueesday" and have some locals come over and help you.

the timing light is the easy part, getting the dwell right and find the correct timing mark on the fan is the tough part.

+Quote Post
raw1298
post Apr 9 2011, 02:37 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(messix @ Apr 9 2011, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(raw1298 @ Apr 9 2011, 03:12 AM) *

uhoh! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

step back, and go see mark at original customs. or host a "teener tueesday" and have some locals come over and help you.

the timing light is the easy part, getting the dwell right and find the correct timing mark on the fan is the tough part.

This is a good idea! May have to plan a BBQ soon and have the locals come see the car. May have to put it off till next month when I can get some weekends off.
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Apr 9 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #6

Ok, I am an idiot. The wires aren't color coded but one has the smooth cover and the positive is ribbed. Good thing I am older than thirty or wouldn't have figured that out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Now I just have to figure out the dwell - tach meter I have. Picked them up from the guy next door who's father in law was a mechanic in the 60's and 70's. They look hardly used.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 10 2011, 07:02 AM
Post #7

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

You don't need to have a party to set dwell and timing. Post a pic of the meter and we'll tell you how to hook it up.
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Apr 10 2011, 07:08 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 10 2011, 06:02 AM) *

You don't need to have a party to set dwell and timing. Post a pic of the meter and we'll tell you how to hook it up.

I think the suggestion was made due to the valve adjustment for the first time. I have a freind who is a mechanic by trade and also a previous 914 owner that wants to come by and help me do this. He actually has been almost begging to work on my engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) He misses his 914.
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Apr 10 2011, 07:21 AM
Post #9

Tulsa, I lived in Woodward Ok. for about 4 years in the early 80"s working in the oil field as a welder etc. etc. . My son lives there still and has my old job. Great people there. Too hot in the summer for me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914 shifter
post Apr 10 2011, 07:29 AM
Post #10

airhead

Member No.: 12,111
Region Association: North East States

set your dwell then your timing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/birthday3.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 11:47 PM