Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing Light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raw1298
It has been a very long time since I have used one of these, so forgive my failing mind. smile.gif I know that the blue clip goes to the #1 plug wire, the other two are not designated to be positive or negative, does it matter? confused24.gif I am going to tackle a valve adjustment and set the timing this week for the first time. Any help would be appreciated.
type47
Sounds like an inductive timing light if you have a clip that goes around a wire. The other 2 must be for voltage but I'd think there would be a red and black clamp to clip on the battery posts. This is how mine is (Sears timing light). Don't know if polarity makes a difference.
type47
... on the other hand, I had to reset the timing on the Vanagon and clamped to the + to a coil terminal and - to a chassis bolt and when the light wouldn't flash, I just switched the + to the other coil terminal and it flashed... didn't seem to hurt anything ............... yet
messix
QUOTE(raw1298 @ Apr 9 2011, 03:12 AM) *

It has been a very long time since I have used one of these, so forgive my failing mind. smile.gif I know that the blue clip goes to the #1 plug wire, the other two are not designated to be positive or negative, does it matter? confused24.gif I am going to tackle a valve adjustment and set the timing this week for the first time. Any help would be appreciated.

uhoh! huh.gif

step back, and go see mark at original customs. or host a "teener tueesday" and have some locals come over and help you.

the timing light is the easy part, getting the dwell right and find the correct timing mark on the fan is the tough part.

raw1298
QUOTE(messix @ Apr 9 2011, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(raw1298 @ Apr 9 2011, 03:12 AM) *

uhoh! huh.gif

step back, and go see mark at original customs. or host a "teener tueesday" and have some locals come over and help you.

the timing light is the easy part, getting the dwell right and find the correct timing mark on the fan is the tough part.

This is a good idea! May have to plan a BBQ soon and have the locals come see the car. May have to put it off till next month when I can get some weekends off.
raw1298
Ok, I am an idiot. The wires aren't color coded but one has the smooth cover and the positive is ribbed. Good thing I am older than thirty or wouldn't have figured that out. smile.gif Now I just have to figure out the dwell - tach meter I have. Picked them up from the guy next door who's father in law was a mechanic in the 60's and 70's. They look hardly used.
TheCabinetmaker
You don't need to have a party to set dwell and timing. Post a pic of the meter and we'll tell you how to hook it up.
raw1298
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 10 2011, 06:02 AM) *

You don't need to have a party to set dwell and timing. Post a pic of the meter and we'll tell you how to hook it up.

I think the suggestion was made due to the valve adjustment for the first time. I have a freind who is a mechanic by trade and also a previous 914 owner that wants to come by and help me do this. He actually has been almost begging to work on my engine. beerchug.gif He misses his 914.
raw1298
Tulsa, I lived in Woodward Ok. for about 4 years in the early 80"s working in the oil field as a welder etc. etc. . My son lives there still and has my old job. Great people there. Too hot in the summer for me! biggrin.gif
914 shifter
set your dwell then your timing blink.gif birthday3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.