Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 front oil cooler, Is there a way to do it outside the trunk?
jmill
post Apr 9 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #21

Green Hornet

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Why not just run a loop cooler in the front fender?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Apr 9 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #22

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742
Region Association: Southern California

Holy crap Elliot, Your black car was yellow at birth!!!! Shame (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 9 2011, 05:09 PM) *

This works pretty good for me. Under left side of rear trunk with ducting from the rocker panel. Made a new shroud since I took these pics. Ignore the Home Depot stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Dominic
post Apr 10 2011, 02:29 AM
Post #23

Dominic

Member No.: 149
Region Association: Northern California

Martin,
There are some pics in the thread below on how I mounted an oil cooler / electric fan in the right rear fender on a four cyl car.
How hot is the oil getting right now? And is there anything wrong with the cooling system? I think I created my own cooling problem by blocking off the outlets on the bottom of the fan shroud...it actually works much better if they are left open, just something to check first.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=14647

PS: I'll be moving to the U.K. in about six months (RAF Mildenhall) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I'll be happy to help you if you need a hand once I get settled in! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
martin_UK914
post Apr 10 2011, 03:34 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 12,913
Region Association: None

Thanks Dominic! And welcome to the UK.

I think im gonna go for mounting it up under the tranny/floor again, and risk the stray stone possibilities. Makes me nervous though, but it seems to be the easiest and simplest solution.

I really need a proper spare upfront so it pretty much rules out a front cooler.
+Quote Post
martin_UK914
post Apr 10 2011, 07:13 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 12,913

Ok... so I did some more reading and I think the rear trunk method will be best for me, but in a different config than usual...

going to use a mocal 235 matrix cooler (13 row) mounted the other way from a fan system, allowing free flow of air...

Attached Image

please excuse my photoshop effort! It kinda makes the point though. What I can also do is make up a very simple metal shroud for this which will prevent any more stray stones.

Thanks for all your help everyone, I finally worked out a solution... unless anyone thinks this wont work of course???
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Apr 10 2011, 07:38 AM
Post #26

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

I have the same issue with my transaxle cooler placement. There is a lot of room above the exhaust pipes but it's all... above the exhaust pipes. The temp there is prohibitive unless you've completely enclosed and insulated the cooler, and as a safeguard, put a shroud above the exhaust pipes as well. Technically all of us should do this anyway. I think the fan(s) would be required as well rather than rely on free flow. I put my auxiliary cooler behind the tranxaxle between the pipes and don't have to run fans.

The inboard CV, the transaxle, and stuff in the rear trunk would all benefit from less exhaust-generated heat. My exhaust valve seals and valve cover gaskets (on the six) would last longer too. If I ever get off of my duff and do it, I'll fabricate some shields to run the length of the headers. There are other projects that keep getting in the way darn-the-luck! Like a bad 993 fuel pump or fuel-rail regulator that just gave out yesterday. Gotta look at that this morning!

Good luck!
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Apr 10 2011, 10:07 AM
Post #27

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've wondered if anyone has taken advantage of those two air grilles in the front bumper and placed a small cooler behind each that vents into the headlight buckets.

You get the ram from the front and the low pressure off the hood to vent. Might be a small cutout into the buckets.

Colin Chapman of Lotus fame was big on getting great cooling from a front radiator or oil cooler with a small opening behind it.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Apr 10 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #28

Is that a Lola?

QUOTE(kwales @ Apr 10 2011, 08:07 AM) *

I've wondered if anyone has taken advantage of those two air grilles in the front bumper...

Yep, Post #15 in this thread talks about it. If I only needed small coolers I might do it. The air is much cooler up there and there isn't as much FOD (Foreign Object Damage) either.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Apr 10 2011, 05:39 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 10,019

QUOTE(martin_UK914 @ Apr 10 2011, 06:13 AM) *

Ok... so I did some more reading and I think the rear trunk method will be best for me, but in a different config than usual...

going to use a mocal 235 matrix cooler (13 row) mounted the other way from a fan system, allowing free flow of air...

Attached Image

please excuse my photoshop effort! It kinda makes the point though. What I can also do is make up a very simple metal shroud for this which will prevent any more stray stones.

Thanks for all your help everyone, I finally worked out a solution... unless anyone thinks this wont work of course???

Nice exhaust manifolds (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)!! Who makes them?
+Quote Post
URY914
post Apr 10 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #30

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Here is the Gunnar 914 using twin coolers at the front.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
URY914
post Apr 10 2011, 06:53 PM
Post #31

****************************************************************************************************

Attached Image
+Quote Post
URY914
post Apr 10 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #32

Mounted at the horn/lite grills

Attached Image
+Quote Post
URY914
post Apr 10 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #33

Attached Image
+Quote Post
stugray
post Apr 10 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

In my previous DD 914, I mounted the oil cooler in the right rear fender well forward of the wheel with no fan. That space is cavernous.

It definitely made a difference, but I dont know exactly how much.

I was thinking I would do that again on my race car if I can find a way to duct air to it.
My vintage racing club does not allow any holes to be cut in the body for venting purposes.
Maybe a scoop underneath?

Stu
+Quote Post
db9146
post Apr 11 2011, 09:49 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 3,315

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Apr 9 2011, 12:36 PM) *

As stated above, the stock front valence doesn't have enough clearance (below the trunk) to mount one without molding a rectangular, forward-facing intake area into it. There is room in front of the GT-flared front wheels to mount on there like the 911's do, and you can get a small one in front of the rear wheels as well in those cars.

In the straight bodied cars I don't know about those wheel well clearances. Mine is an in-trunk solution because I hate the low position of valance-mounted coolers, especially in street cars. Curbs, speed bumps and the occasional high-centered asphalt constantly keep those in danger.

PCAR916 or anyone else, do you have pics of a front fender mounted oil cooler on a flared 914 ala 911? I measured tonight and it doesn't really seem that there is enough room if you consider wide tires and the clearance needed when turning. Some of the aluminum high performance coolers for a 911 are about 8" wide and about 22" long, 2.5" thick....looks too tight to me but I don't have one to stick up in there and try.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Apr 12 2011, 06:38 AM
Post #36

Is that a Lola?

QUOTE(db9146 @ Apr 11 2011, 07:49 PM) *

PCAR916 or anyone else, do you have pics of a front fender mounted oil cooler on a flared 914 ala 911? I measured tonight and it doesn't really seem that there is enough room if you consider wide tires and the clearance needed when turning. Some of the aluminum high performance coolers for a 911 are about 8" wide and about 22" long, 2.5" thick....looks too tight to me but I don't have one to stick up in there and try.

I don't know anyone who's put them in the front well and have no pix. In fact, I've seen more folks put the cooler in the rear wheel well than the front and I like that placement. You have to protect the cooler from road debris damage in either case. Isn't this an auxiliary cooler or, as in my case with a 993 engine, the primary cooler?

Size is everything and how many BTU's have to be transferred determines how big a cooler to run. If it's an auxiliary cooler, and not a race car or in a really hot part of the world, you likely won't need a 911 size cooler and perhaps a B&B or Earl's cooler will fill the bill if you don't like the trombone idea. That solution uses far less space and uses no fans at all, and you can get them out of '80's SC's and Carrera's.

Aftermarket coolers can be bought much smaller and fans make all the difference in the world when you need 'em. Air can be deflected or ducted into and out of the cooler.
+Quote Post
db9146
post Apr 12 2011, 07:57 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 3,315

I was thinking specifically abou the cooling requirements for a 3.2 or 3.6 conversion used for street and DE......in the South.....in the summer.....in stop and go traffic.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Apr 12 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #38

Is that a Lola?

I'm in the south and have a 3.6 but it's very different from anything earlier ( 3.2 and smaller) since it has no onboard cooler behind cylinder #6. As such it's oil cooling is entirely external which means much more real estate used in the oil cooling task.

I even have an auxiliary cooler behind the transaxle in-between the exhausts that is in the liquid, high-pressure circuit for the second oil filter. The 993 has a small filter mounted on a console that replaced the engine-mounted Behr cooler. Was that complicated enough?

The 3.2 will need an auxiliary cooler in really hot southern summers especially in town, and certainly on the track. jt9146 uses one on his 3.0L car. I didn't have one on my 2.7L when I moved from San Francisco to Little Rock and didn't need it until summer came on. and track days started.

Good luck
+Quote Post
914Mike
post Apr 13 2011, 12:49 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 10 2011, 06:48 PM) *

In my previous DD 914, I mounted the oil cooler in the right rear fender well forward of the wheel with no fan. That space is cavernous.

It definitely made a difference, but I dont know exactly how much.

I was thinking I would do that again on my race car if I can find a way to duct air to it.
My vintage racing club does not allow any holes to be cut in the body for venting purposes.
Maybe a scoop underneath?

Stu

Too bad about the rules! You could cut a duct into that spot from the engine bay, maybe mount a fan even. Or just put a fan on the cooler and see what happens.

I put a 12X12 plate cooler in that spot, ducted in from the side using a MR2 grille. (The car had a huge gash there already, cutting a hole made it easier to straighten...) Fabbed a plate to act as stone guard that followed the curve of the fender. Worked great!

I use a Mocal sandwich adapter, fits under the oil filter, so NOT full flow. But if the cooler ever leaks, just spin off the filter, remove the adapter and spin the filter back on and it's good to go.

I run the RX7 front cooler now, mounted in the 916 nose. No holes in the body, just a little space to let some flow. Still more than enough for street driving. I run it in summer only as I find that the oil never gets warm enough to avoid condensation (foam in the filler cap) even with only the stock cooler.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 05:14 AM