Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Is it just me or are 914's prone to front end damage(Crash Thread)
Strudelwagon
post Apr 10 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,633
Region Association: Canada

Ok, I've looked at a pile of 914 pictures since I contracted this disease. Pictures from restorations, racing, shows.
Is it just me or are these cars involved in an unusual amount of front end collisions? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
When I bought mine, it had been involve in one and I discovered that the front calipers where frozen. I assume this was the cause and maybe some bad driving.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(60 - 72)
euro911
post Jul 10 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #61

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(dlestep @ Jul 8 2011, 06:20 AM) *
... When I went to court, I told the judge that I drive on that street everyday and know of that speed trap and the only recourse I had was to protect myself. I mentioned that the officers making up the speed trap should stay out of the roadway and not place themselves in harms way. Also the location and time of the speed trap did not make any sense, because traffic in the morning keeps the speed down and the location was set at the slowest section. I reiterated that the speed trap does more harm than good in that location and a series of events, out of my control, could have ended badly for all concerned, if it wasn't for my quick actions and full control of my vehicle. I was amazed when he agreed, and let me go.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) Good for you.

I know that a well thought out and delivered argument does have the possibility of swaying a judge's ruling (done it twice). However, being that we're in 2011, it's more about the courts imposing fines to keep the city's coffers full and may not be as easy to get the charge(s) dropped.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 10 2011, 02:52 PM
Post #62

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 7 2011, 04:07 PM) *
Mine Happened just today. I'm still trying not to think about it... fool ran a red light.
A thought just came to mind. A lot of guys have digital video cameras mounted and record 'special' event drives, but I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to have a camera recording (with a large capacity memory chip) every time you're out on the road. If nothing significant happens, just record over it, but it may come in handy if you run into lack of witnesses, etc. ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
bare 1
post Jul 10 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 3,019
Region Association: None

Drivin a teener ,in my humble opinion, is about------DRIVING----- !dlestep has it. Being aware and havin the appropreate response to the situation Not that that happens all the time. I had a similar experience in a Triumph Gt6 I was test driving once. Narrow city side street, stereotypical thing you hear about, some little kid dashed in front of me from between 2 parked cars. I jerked the wheel and went around him as he stopped in the street. Scared us both and the lot jockey with me . Then I got to the stop sign at the corner and hit the brakes, a bit shaken. As the brake peddle dropped to the floor, well that was over 40 years ago and it still freaks me out to think what may have happened. As a side note, my son had a deer go OVER his GT6 a few years back .
And there were people in those "wads of metal"!!
+Quote Post
Strudelwagon
post Jul 14 2012, 10:59 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 9,633
Region Association: Canada

For the collection
Attached Image
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Jul 14 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #65

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

This happened last month... driving a back road when I rounded a corner and there was a car stopped to make a left turn (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Luckily I was not driving too fast as I had a computer in the passenger seat I didn't want to be sliding around. Hit the brakes and ended up hitting the stopped car at less than 5mph. No damage to the Taurus. Bent hood on my 914.
Anyone have a white hood in decent shape?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-10419-1339903278.jpg)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jul 14 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 3 2011, 07:56 AM) *

From my experience driving my ex-914 to work (rarely) and my Mr.2.

People don't see you.

OR

They do see you and decide you're the one they are going to cut in front of to get into the lane you are in.....and then, of course, hit the brakes.

There is an art to driving a small car in traffic..... a larger car /truck also, but the small car makes it more perilous. You have 2 choices:
1) Let them run into you.....but don't rear end em'.
2) Yield. You can add the single finger salute (which is now against the law in many states) but be prepared to back it up. I reserve that for the cut-in-brakers.
I'm getting old and am gonna get my ass kicked one of these days.....but it wouldn't be the first time.

So, yes, 914s & 914 drivers are susceptible to front end damage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

+1

I had a Lotus Elan S4 in England and was always having to repair the front end (fiberglass) due to drivers cutting in and braking or just braking in stupid places, where you would least expect it.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 14 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #67

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Bummer man.
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Jul 14 2012, 02:40 PM
Post #68

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216
Region Association: Northern California

This just happened 1 hour ago.
Stopped at an intersection on my way home from the TRG event in Petaluma. The truck ahead of me decided that he was too far into the intersection and backed right into me. Claimed he couldn't see me. That was obvious (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Need a LOUDER horn I guess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 14 2012, 03:07 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jul 14 2012, 01:40 PM) *

Stopped at an intersection on my way home from the TRG event in Petaluma. The truck ahead of me decided that he was too far into the intersection and backed right into me. Claimed he couldn't see me. That was obvious (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

That sucks, is it just the hood or worse? I think your right small car needs BIG horn.

Jeff
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 15 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #70

Even extremely loud air horns aren't enough sometimes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

... and hope the idiots have insurance or man-up for the repairs.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Jul 15 2012, 11:29 AM
Post #71

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jul 14 2012, 01:40 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Porsche930dude
post Jul 15 2012, 05:10 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 13,819

yep mine had a new driver side front headlight bucket and half the fender welded in. and that must have been within the first ten years of its life because it hasnt seen the road since then
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jul 16 2012, 04:16 PM
Post #73

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

I have put close to 300K miles on several 914's never did anything to front end. Was rear ended and one time my wife backed into the side of pristine 36K original mile car - thats what started my race car build!
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 02:42 AM