Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it just me or are 914's prone to front end damage(Crash Thread)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Strudelwagon
Ok, I've looked at a pile of 914 pictures since I contracted this disease. Pictures from restorations, racing, shows.
Is it just me or are these cars involved in an unusual amount of front end collisions? WTF.gif
When I bought mine, it had been involve in one and I discovered that the front calipers where frozen. I assume this was the cause and maybe some bad driving.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Lou W
You'd probably find that most collisions are front end related.
silver74insocal
what would you expect with this wonderful braking system happy11.gif flame suit activate!!!
Mike Bellis
We should make this the wrecked 914 thread...

Click to view attachment
Strudelwagon

OK
Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
Take a good look at the "crumple zones". Makes the 914 very survivable in a front on crash.
messix
QUOTE(Strudelwagon @ Apr 10 2011, 10:03 PM) *

the orange car has a cage,i don't thionjk the out come would have been the same with out it.
silver74insocal
ankles meet forehead..how u doin?
Andyrew
Wow I havent seen the orange car pictures.. Who's car is that?
Elliot Cannon
Roll cages are dangerous for the street. They are good if the car rolls over. Not so great in a collision. Every time some metal on the car bends in a crash, it absorbs energy. The only thing a roll cage absorbs is maybe your mellon. biggrin.gif
Jeffs9146
Been there done that!!
hot_shoe914
Yup, been there and done that also.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
FourBlades

What speed of a crash does it take to totally flatten the front end like some of those pictures?

I wonder how many of those cars were rusted in the longs before they were wrecked.

John
SUNAB914
I was doing 30 + after braking when I t boned a station wagon that pulled across in front of me. I was young, no seat belt, walked away from it. Although I bit the steering wheel and put my bottom teeth through my lip. That spare tire will absorb alot impact! Bought the car back from insurance and pulled the rebuilt motor out.
It was a rust bucket.
poorsche914
Let my girlfriend drive my 914 a couple miles to the store. She was looking for a cassette tape (this was in the '80s) and rear-ended the car in front of her dry.gif

Click to view attachment
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Apr 11 2011, 07:06 AM) *

Let my girlfriend drive my 914 a couple miles to the store. She was looking for a cassette tape (this was in the '80s) and rear-ended the car in front of her dry.gif

Click to view attachment

a few more
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
smontanaro
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 11 2011, 12:13 AM) *

Take a good look at the "crumple zones". Makes the 914 very survivable in a front on crash.

Except nowadays doesn't a 914 just slide right under most SUVs (which seem to be about all that's on the road)?

S
smontanaro
Sorry, got a database error message and blindly reloaded the page. Looks like it failed after posting the reply.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 11 2011, 03:43 AM) *

Yup, been there and done that also.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Crank that down on Rick's Cellette and he will fix it right up for you in no time! av-943.gif
iamchappy
After seeing this thread, i dont think i want to take my car out of the garage ever again....
Lou W
Patrick Motorsports Built Car, this car was absolutley beautiful. sad.gif
moparrob

IPB Image

wow, that brings back really bad memories. I did the same exact damage to my '71 914 in 1979. Plowed it into the back of a 1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham which decided to stop at a yellow light that I was going to go through. Guess who lost that battle...

Funny thing was that at the time it cost a whopping $1,300.00 to fix. Then again, I think I paid $3,000 for the entire car or so...
Gustl
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 11 2011, 06:57 AM) *

Wow I havent seen the orange car pictures.. Who's car is that?

that's my friend's car ... from Bavaria
IIRC the accident was back in June 2002

rick 918-S
Click to view attachment
This car is on the mend

Lots of repair photos here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...104128&st=0
Jeffs9146
I was going about 40 and the drunk driver was going about 45 or 50! I ended up in the livingroom of a house!

I broke my neck, nose, jaw and lower back! I only remember the flash of his head lights and waking up in the hospital!

My friend had over 250 stiches but didn't break anything!

The full sized spare tire saved our lives!!
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 11 2011, 09:22 PM) *

I was going about 40 and the drunk driver was going about 45 or 50! I ended up in the livingroom of a house!

I broke my neck, nose, jaw and lower back! I only remember the flash of his head lights and waking up in the hospital!

Good to know the leading cause of 914 death is still "RUST"
euro911
QUOTE(Strudelwagon @ Apr 11 2011, 07:49 AM) *
a few more
IPB Image
That was Rick's car - 2-OH! formerly from Santa Clarita
Cap'n Krusty
Never the car, always the driver.

The Cap'n
Tom_T
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 11 2011, 08:39 PM) *

After seeing this thread, i dont think i want to take my car out of the garage ever again....

Too bad that won't always help Chappy, as I unfortunately know all too well! dry.gif

After doing a $6500 rolling resto & drivetrain overhaul in 80-83, a ditzy sorority gal whacked my 73 2L from behind & pushed it 2' forward into the concrete whall/column while parked in a parking structure at UCAL while I was in my MBA grad school classes all day there. I even parked it off to the side of the aisle at the lower end to avoid somebody losing control coming down the ramp, & closer to the columns on the L side to protect against door dings - but this ditz said she "...forgot to turn left & go up the ramp..." - her words! blink.gif

The pix below show that the front end damage isn't so bad as these above, but in combination with the rear end damage it was a $6400 bill back in May 85.

At least she left a note & then I got to fight with her Daddy's insurance company for a month & half with them trying to low ball me. I collected eventually, got the 85 BMW 325e that I still have as my DD with the check, & the 914 sat in my garage for 26+ years waiting for me to get time & money at the same time to do a repair/resto, now that both kids are grown & gone it's in slow progress.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

sad.gif

... and then she's grown rust rot over the years sitting too! hissyfit.gif
jt914-6
A couple more of Shoe's LE....taken on 4/12/11 at auction...the auctioneer called it a wad of metal...it's auction number was.....13!!!! The only injury in the head on colision was a broked collar bone from the seat belt....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jmill
QUOTE(Lou W @ Apr 10 2011, 10:40 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

Mine then and now.

Strudelwagon
QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 12 2011, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Lou W @ Apr 10 2011, 10:40 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

Mine then and now.

Oh Ya, this is me before, middle, after
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
PO mounted a Honda accord. Nuked the hood, ft bulkhead and light boxes
Objects may be larger than they appear!
Strudelwagon
Another one bites the dust
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
dion9146
I was going to drive mine to a client meeting today, but now it's staying in the garage until I can get these pics out of my head! smile.gif

Dion
dion9146
I was going to drive mine to a client meeting today, but now it's staying in the garage until I can get these pics out of my head! smile.gif

Dion
J P Stein
From my experience driving my ex-914 to work (rarely) and my Mr.2.

People don't see you.

OR

They do see you and decide you're the one they are going to cut in front of to get into the lane you are in.....and then, of course, hit the brakes.

There is an art to driving a small car in traffic..... a larger car /truck also, but the small car makes it more perilous. You have 2 choices:
1) Let them run into you.....but don't rear end em'.
2) Yield. You can add the single finger salute (which is now against the law in many states) but be prepared to back it up. I reserve that for the cut-in-brakers.
I'm getting old and am gonna get my ass kicked one of these days.....but it wouldn't be the first time.

So, yes, 914s & 914 drivers are susceptible to front end damage. idea.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 11 2011, 08:22 PM) *

That's a reason I'm not keen on doing front oil-coolers on mine....I guess if I did I'd have to beef up the front-end to compensate for the removed 'inner bumper' that is the spare.
Strudelwagon
Click to view attachment
I think the heading read "I submarined a Tahoe today"
Cairo94507
Man after viewing that thread and seeing those pictures it has me wondering if I should add some kind of bracing into the build when I do it just in case some asshat hits it.

I guess I am not that worried about trunk space, it is not like it is going to be my DD so the front and rear trunks do not necessarily need to handle suit cases. I just wonder about putting in an extremely low-profile (as invisible as possible) roll bar with side door bracing? I don't know, maybe low-profile and roll bar don't belong in the same sentence?
smontanaro
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 19 2011, 12:14 PM) *

Man after viewing that thread and seeing those pictures it has me wondering if I should add some kind of bracing into the build when I do it just in case some asshat hits it.

I don't think that would help as much as you might expect. First, if you stiffen the front structure, more of the energy of a crash will be transferred to the cabin instead of being absorbed by the front end. Second, I suspect the biggest problem with a 914 in a front-end crash is that it's so low it would tend to slide under most cars, especially with the large numbers of SUVs out there today (probably different than 20-30 years ago).

Skip
banksyinoz
sad.gif

i might weld my jack stands to my car for good

dont think i could cope with the loss
FourBlades

Just need to install some air bags that open on the outside of the car.

That way you can protect your paint in a collision. biggrin.gif

Hmm, thats not such a bad idea. idea.gif

John
Strudelwagon
Click to view attachment

That top one would have left some nasty belt burns, eh?
rnellums
Mine Happened just today. I'm still trying not to think about it... fool ran a red light.
rnellums
more
rnellums
the day I bought it in 2003
SirAndy
sad.gif
jsayre914
unsure.gif
I assume you were wearing your seatbelt. That is tragic. But someone was looking out for you, were you hurt???
rnellums
Yeah, I was wearing my seatbelt, and no one was hurt but for a few sore muscles. The passenger compartment was actually pretty much untouched. Time to start looking for rollers!
rnellums
Yeah, I was wearing my seatbelt, and no one was hurt but for a few sore muscles. The passenger compartment was actually pretty much untouched. Time to start looking for rollers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.