Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it just me or are 914's prone to front end damage(Crash Thread)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JFJ914
Ouch! mad.gif
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 7 2011, 04:10 PM) *

more

That is freaking tragic man...she was a sweet car! hissyfit.gif
avidfanjpl
It has been on my mind for over 2 years now that NO ONE really sees my car when in traffic.

I drive ALWAYS with all lights on, and still, I have been cut off at least 1 time each time I drove my car in 2009-2011.

I think it is good that I have a car that I don't need to drive, unless it is late and there is no one on the Toll Road.

And with my AX car done in a matter of weeks, I just think I need an SUV. My next move may be a used SUV.

I will start an OT thread and get votes on what to get.

Trailering is definitely in my future for at least the AX car.

John
carr914
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
The rear section of the limo started out as a frontal crashed car: driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Cutting off the front end: sawzall-smiley.gif

Click to view attachment

All welded together: welder.gif

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 7 2011, 04:07 PM) *

Mine Happened just today. I'm still trying not to think about it... fool ran a red light.

sad.gif

Wow, Thats a major bummer! Just think of the next one the insurance will buy you. Maybe they'll give you enough to buy EEEEliots!
rnellums
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 7 2011, 06:02 PM) *

The rear section of the limo started out as a frontal crashed car: driving.gif

Cutting off the front end: sawzall-smiley.gif

All welded together: welder.gif

So you are saying I should build a 914 limo too???? smile.gif do I have to worry about copyright or trademark infringement?
brant
Andy,

was the orange shell Jenny's old car?
I actually helped strip Jenny's car once upon a time at Brad's shop space in the SSI building.
dlestep
...in '91 I just moved to Florida. I was driving my white '73 914 on a side street in Ft. Lauderdale on my way to work. I was driving the speed limit (35mph) in the right lane, and approaching an intersection when a really old lady driving a huge '71 Cadillac simply pulled right out in front of me (about three car lengths away). I immediately down-shifted to second and accelerated around her and out of the choas across the intersection at about 45+...
I watched through my rearview mirror when everyone behind her slammed their brakes on...about 50 yards past the intersection was a motorcycle cop hiding behind a tree and his dumb assistant who jumped out in front of me in my lane with his arms in the air. I hit the brakes and downshifted into second at the same time bringing my car to a stop only inches from his legs in about four or five car lengths from 45 miles and hour. I immediately got out of the car and yelled at his stupidity. If it wasn't for my refreshed 4-wheel disc brakes, I would have ran that dumb fuck over. If I had not changed course from behind the old bitch when I did, my '73 would have ended there with front and rear damage.
When I went to court, I told the judge that I drive on that street everyday and know of that speed trap and the only recourse I had was to protect myself. I mentioned that the officers making up the speed trap should stay out of the roadway and not place themselves in harms way. Also the location and time of the speed trap did not make any sense, because traffic in the morning keeps the speed down and the location was set at the slowest section. I reinterated that the speed trap does more harm than good in that location and a series of events, out of my control, could have ended badly for all concerned, if it wasn't for my quick actions and full control of my vehicle. I was amazed when he agreed, and let me go.
SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 8 2011, 05:40 AM) *
Andy, was the orange shell Jenny's old car?
I actually helped strip Jenny's car once upon a time at Brad's shop space in the SSI building.

No. The orange car was Patrick Pickerell's car. His son wrecked it while he was on vacation.

shades.gif
euro911
QUOTE(dlestep @ Jul 8 2011, 06:20 AM) *
... When I went to court, I told the judge that I drive on that street everyday and know of that speed trap and the only recourse I had was to protect myself. I mentioned that the officers making up the speed trap should stay out of the roadway and not place themselves in harms way. Also the location and time of the speed trap did not make any sense, because traffic in the morning keeps the speed down and the location was set at the slowest section. I reiterated that the speed trap does more harm than good in that location and a series of events, out of my control, could have ended badly for all concerned, if it wasn't for my quick actions and full control of my vehicle. I was amazed when he agreed, and let me go.
thumb3d.gif Good for you.

I know that a well thought out and delivered argument does have the possibility of swaying a judge's ruling (done it twice). However, being that we're in 2011, it's more about the courts imposing fines to keep the city's coffers full and may not be as easy to get the charge(s) dropped.
euro911
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 7 2011, 04:07 PM) *
Mine Happened just today. I'm still trying not to think about it... fool ran a red light.
A thought just came to mind. A lot of guys have digital video cameras mounted and record 'special' event drives, but I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to have a camera recording (with a large capacity memory chip) every time you're out on the road. If nothing significant happens, just record over it, but it may come in handy if you run into lack of witnesses, etc. ... confused24.gif
bare 1
Drivin a teener ,in my humble opinion, is about------DRIVING----- !dlestep has it. Being aware and havin the appropreate response to the situation Not that that happens all the time. I had a similar experience in a Triumph Gt6 I was test driving once. Narrow city side street, stereotypical thing you hear about, some little kid dashed in front of me from between 2 parked cars. I jerked the wheel and went around him as he stopped in the street. Scared us both and the lot jockey with me . Then I got to the stop sign at the corner and hit the brakes, a bit shaken. As the brake peddle dropped to the floor, well that was over 40 years ago and it still freaks me out to think what may have happened. As a side note, my son had a deer go OVER his GT6 a few years back .
And there were people in those "wads of metal"!!
Strudelwagon
For the collection
Click to view attachment
poorsche914
This happened last month... driving a back road when I rounded a corner and there was a car stopped to make a left turn blink.gif Luckily I was not driving too fast as I had a computer in the passenger seat I didn't want to be sliding around. Hit the brakes and ended up hitting the stopped car at less than 5mph. No damage to the Taurus. Bent hood on my 914.
Anyone have a white hood in decent shape?

IPB Image
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 3 2011, 07:56 AM) *

From my experience driving my ex-914 to work (rarely) and my Mr.2.

People don't see you.

OR

They do see you and decide you're the one they are going to cut in front of to get into the lane you are in.....and then, of course, hit the brakes.

There is an art to driving a small car in traffic..... a larger car /truck also, but the small car makes it more perilous. You have 2 choices:
1) Let them run into you.....but don't rear end em'.
2) Yield. You can add the single finger salute (which is now against the law in many states) but be prepared to back it up. I reserve that for the cut-in-brakers.
I'm getting old and am gonna get my ass kicked one of these days.....but it wouldn't be the first time.

So, yes, 914s & 914 drivers are susceptible to front end damage. idea.gif

+1

I had a Lotus Elan S4 in England and was always having to repair the front end (fiberglass) due to drivers cutting in and braking or just braking in stupid places, where you would least expect it.
rnellums
Bummer man.
Lennies914
This just happened 1 hour ago.
Stopped at an intersection on my way home from the TRG event in Petaluma. The truck ahead of me decided that he was too far into the intersection and backed right into me. Claimed he couldn't see me. That was obvious headbang.gif

Need a LOUDER horn I guess. confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
JStroud
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jul 14 2012, 01:40 PM) *

Stopped at an intersection on my way home from the TRG event in Petaluma. The truck ahead of me decided that he was too far into the intersection and backed right into me. Claimed he couldn't see me. That was obvious headbang.gif

That sucks, is it just the hood or worse? I think your right small car needs BIG horn.

Jeff
euro911
Even extremely loud air horns aren't enough sometimes dry.gif

... and hope the idiots have insurance or man-up for the repairs.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jul 14 2012, 01:40 PM) *

WTF.gif headbang.gif wacko.gif
Porsche930dude
yep mine had a new driver side front headlight bucket and half the fender welded in. and that must have been within the first ten years of its life because it hasnt seen the road since then
grantsfo
I have put close to 300K miles on several 914's never did anything to front end. Was rear ended and one time my wife backed into the side of pristine 36K original mile car - thats what started my race car build!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.