Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> only you can prevent rust
ezbngreen914
post Apr 12 2011, 11:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,472
Region Association: South East States

I know there has got to be a tread on this already but I couldn’t find it. I’m looking for info on how to wage a war against rust. Products, procedures and any other info I can find. I live on the gulf coast of Florida so this is a concern. I have built a garage for the car that will be cooled and dehumidified. The car has had an exterior re-spray and POR15? applied to the typical areas in the trunk etc. by the previous owner. I’m looking for ways to stop/slowdown, repair surface rust in the center tunnel and some rust on the bottom of one of the doors, ways to sympathetically fix surface rust or worst…sprays, primers, paints, foggers, magic…Any info would be awesome!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Apr 13 2011, 07:47 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,896
Region Association: None

What are those blocks of stuff they bolt to ships and boats?
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Apr 13 2011, 08:48 AM
Post #3

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

What are those blocks of stuff they bolt to ships and boats?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Zinks!!

I stand corrected Zincs!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/teef.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 13 2011, 10:12 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

The best way, by far, to prevent future rust is...... keep water from having long term contact with metal. Don't drive in the rain and don't park it outside, and you won't have problems - even if you don't dip the car in POR15 (which is CRAP, btw).
+Quote Post
Strudelwagon
post Apr 13 2011, 10:36 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,633
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Apr 12 2011, 10:49 PM) *

I know there has got to be a tread on this already but I couldn’t find it. I’m looking for info on how to wage a war against rust. Products, procedures and any other info I can find. I live on the gulf coast of Florida so this is a concern. I have built a garage for the car that will be cooled and dehumidified. The car has had an exterior re-spray and POR15? applied to the typical areas in the trunk etc. by the previous owner. I’m looking for ways to stop/slowdown, repair surface rust in the center tunnel and some rust on the bottom of one of the doors, ways to sympathetically fix surface rust or worst…sprays, primers, paints, foggers, magic…Any info would be awesome!

The #1 protection against corrosion are coatings(paint,wax-oils that are appiled correctly). You need 4 things in order to have a corrosion cell on metals. Anode,Cathode,metalic path and an electrolyte.
Remove one and break the cycle of corrosion. if the metal surface can't get access to electrolyte then no corrosion.
This is as you know almost impossible so vehicle manufacturers started dipping everything in zinc. That way when the car gets a paint chip and the metal is exposed to electrolyte, the zinc sacrifices itself to protect the steel surface underneath. once that zinc has depleted, the steel will begin to corrode.
Please don't waist your time with electro-gimmicks or sacrificial anodes because they will only work if you submerge your car in water (electrolyte).

Best thing you can do is keep it dry and clean of disolved salts.
good luck
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 13 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #6

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Spelling nazi....

Zinc

+Quote Post
ezbngreen914
post Apr 13 2011, 12:50 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,472

Thanks everyone. Does any one know of a good product to spray in hard to get to areas. Would it be a bad idea to spray wd40 inside the bottom of the door or in the shift linkage tunel? would another product work. what about the "Krown" product that people use on there vehicles up north? I know I'm being kind of vauge, just trying to tap into the great source of knowledge that is 914 World. Thanks again.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Apr 13 2011, 01:48 PM
Post #8

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

WD-40? Couldn't hurt, but it might not help, either. WD 40 isn't good for much of anything. LPS makes a product for what you want to do. We used to spray it on crankshafts for storage. It dries, IIRC. I could be wrong, but I think it's LPS 3.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Apr 13 2011, 02:08 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,635

In Atlantic Canada we battle rust as a way of life, Rust Check is the product I recommend, available at Walmart even, it is a spray, and it creeps, it won't harm electrical and it smells nice.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
+Quote Post
Strudelwagon
post Apr 13 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 9,633

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Apr 13 2011, 01:08 PM) *

In Atlantic Canada we battle rust as a way of life, Rust Check is the product I recommend, available at Walmart even, it is a spray, and it creeps, it won't harm electrical and it smells nice.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Good call Ian,
If it works in NB it must be good...Is the snow gone yet? It sounds like a consumer version of what the factorty has been using for a while on euro cars "Cosmoline". That stuff was leaking out of all the cracks of my new VW's for years.
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Apr 13 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,635

No the snow isn't all gone yet! We broke all records for snowfall this year, had to shovel off the roof 4 times and the last time, one foot on the roof, and one foot on the snowbank. rustcheck.ca is the website, great product, I first heard about it in the early 80's and have been using it since.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 03:02 AM