Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: only you can prevent rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ezbngreen914
I know there has got to be a tread on this already but I couldn’t find it. I’m looking for info on how to wage a war against rust. Products, procedures and any other info I can find. I live on the gulf coast of Florida so this is a concern. I have built a garage for the car that will be cooled and dehumidified. The car has had an exterior re-spray and POR15? applied to the typical areas in the trunk etc. by the previous owner. I’m looking for ways to stop/slowdown, repair surface rust in the center tunnel and some rust on the bottom of one of the doors, ways to sympathetically fix surface rust or worst…sprays, primers, paints, foggers, magic…Any info would be awesome!
dflesburg
What are those blocks of stuff they bolt to ships and boats?
Jeffs9146
What are those blocks of stuff they bolt to ships and boats?

blink.gif

Zinks!!

I stand corrected Zincs!! teef.gif
McMark
The best way, by far, to prevent future rust is...... keep water from having long term contact with metal. Don't drive in the rain and don't park it outside, and you won't have problems - even if you don't dip the car in POR15 (which is CRAP, btw).
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Apr 12 2011, 10:49 PM) *

I know there has got to be a tread on this already but I couldn’t find it. I’m looking for info on how to wage a war against rust. Products, procedures and any other info I can find. I live on the gulf coast of Florida so this is a concern. I have built a garage for the car that will be cooled and dehumidified. The car has had an exterior re-spray and POR15? applied to the typical areas in the trunk etc. by the previous owner. I’m looking for ways to stop/slowdown, repair surface rust in the center tunnel and some rust on the bottom of one of the doors, ways to sympathetically fix surface rust or worst…sprays, primers, paints, foggers, magic…Any info would be awesome!

The #1 protection against corrosion are coatings(paint,wax-oils that are appiled correctly). You need 4 things in order to have a corrosion cell on metals. Anode,Cathode,metalic path and an electrolyte.
Remove one and break the cycle of corrosion. if the metal surface can't get access to electrolyte then no corrosion.
This is as you know almost impossible so vehicle manufacturers started dipping everything in zinc. That way when the car gets a paint chip and the metal is exposed to electrolyte, the zinc sacrifices itself to protect the steel surface underneath. once that zinc has depleted, the steel will begin to corrode.
Please don't waist your time with electro-gimmicks or sacrificial anodes because they will only work if you submerge your car in water (electrolyte).

Best thing you can do is keep it dry and clean of disolved salts.
good luck
billh1963
Spelling nazi....

Zinc

ezbngreen914
Thanks everyone. Does any one know of a good product to spray in hard to get to areas. Would it be a bad idea to spray wd40 inside the bottom of the door or in the shift linkage tunel? would another product work. what about the "Krown" product that people use on there vehicles up north? I know I'm being kind of vauge, just trying to tap into the great source of knowledge that is 914 World. Thanks again.
Cap'n Krusty
WD-40? Couldn't hurt, but it might not help, either. WD 40 isn't good for much of anything. LPS makes a product for what you want to do. We used to spray it on crankshafts for storage. It dries, IIRC. I could be wrong, but I think it's LPS 3.

The Cap'n
Ian Stott
In Atlantic Canada we battle rust as a way of life, Rust Check is the product I recommend, available at Walmart even, it is a spray, and it creeps, it won't harm electrical and it smells nice.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Apr 13 2011, 01:08 PM) *

In Atlantic Canada we battle rust as a way of life, Rust Check is the product I recommend, available at Walmart even, it is a spray, and it creeps, it won't harm electrical and it smells nice.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Good call Ian,
If it works in NB it must be good...Is the snow gone yet? It sounds like a consumer version of what the factorty has been using for a while on euro cars "Cosmoline". That stuff was leaking out of all the cracks of my new VW's for years.
Ian Stott
No the snow isn't all gone yet! We broke all records for snowfall this year, had to shovel off the roof 4 times and the last time, one foot on the roof, and one foot on the snowbank. rustcheck.ca is the website, great product, I first heard about it in the early 80's and have been using it since.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.