Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nice day at mom's, Electrical trouble on way home
TheCabinetmaker
post May 9 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #1

I drive my car everyday

Group: Members
Member No.: 666

My bro and I went to spend the day with mom today and had a great afternoon. No kids(cept us), no grandkids, and no great grandkids. Very peaceful.

On the way home, I got bit by the electrical gremlin!
This same thing happened years ago and I just can't remember what caused it. The tach became eractic, gas guage pulsed, and gen light showed very dimly. When I stepped on the brakes, the tach and gas guage, cease to work and the gen light showed full bright. I have seen a loose tach wire at the coil cause this in the past, but it was ok. I checked the fuses, and the one for the license plate light was blown. after replacement, everything worked fine. For about two miles. Fuse was ok this time.

Now, the brake lights and turn signals do not work, and the rest works as described above. With the key off, the turn signals light up but don't blink(like they're susposed to, I believe), but don't even light up with the key on.

Someone point me in the right direction please. Thanks.

Btw, here's a shot at moms house. Bro don't get his garage queen out very often. 78sc, 85,000 miles very nice car.

PS, sorry for the long post.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post May 10 2004, 05:20 AM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Oaky, where are our electrical guru's? Dave, Andy, anyone? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post May 10 2004, 07:19 AM
Post #3

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey Curt, sorry you got a gremlin! From the symptoms it sounds like what you checked would be it. Usually the #9 fuse IS the culprit (looking from left to right or 4th from the right). Try wiggling the fuse to see if the connection is bad. Try doing that while it's running.
You might also have a bad tach or the tach is shorting.
Wished I could be more help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

...good luck

.......b
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post May 10 2004, 07:38 AM
Post #4

I drive my car everyday

Thanks Bruce. The Gremlin is dead! I got up this morning and looked again with good light and a clearer head. The first owner wired a third brakelight from the harness at the tail light. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) This wire had came loose and was laying against the body under the harness bundle. Sure enough, fuse 9 was blown. It looked good till I took it out. PO wiring comes out today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) Damn ceramic fuses suck! I'll be calling James Adams. Been wanting to do that upgrade anyway.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post May 10 2004, 08:32 AM
Post #5

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

YAAAAAAAAAAAAA (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Good job sleuthing Curt!

.........b
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post May 10 2004, 09:36 AM
Post #6

I drive my car everyday

Well, that goddamn gremlin is back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif) Definitely have a short in the turn signal/brake system.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:25 AM